• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Will I get to Sub 8 with Petrus?

• Yes

Votes: 149 80.1%
  • No

Votes: 37 19.9%

• Total voters

PetraPine

YouTube
Visit Channel
Slow but steady improvement. in you experience, is petrus good for OH?
petrus is alright for oh, It's pretty extreme though like the first step is maybe the worst step of any method for OH in terms of ergonomics,
but the other steps are either good or really good for OH.
I think if you do roux fb,stripe its pretty ok for OH sense less of the solve has bad ergo overall.
since as said in the example solve its almost always r R U F to finish 223 if you do FB first.

PetraPine

YouTube
Visit Channel
Average of 12: 11.21 (σ = 0.34)
Time List:
1. 10.19 D' F2 D2 F2 L U2 L R2 D2 R F2 U' B' L2 D2 R2 U' R2 D
2. 11.27 R D' L2 F2 D' U2 F2 U F2 L2 F2 U' L F' D' F' L' B' L' R B2
3. 10.41 L B U2 F D2 B' F2 D2 F2 L2 D2 L2 D' F2 R' B2 F' U2 R' F'
4. 11.28 R2 L' F2 B D B2 D L' U2 D2 F' L2 D2 F D2 R2 F2 U2 B U2
5. 11.54 U' R' D B' U' L B R' U2 R2 B2 R' U2 D2 F2 R D2 B2 U' F
6. 11.12 F' D' B' L' D F2 R' F2 U2 D2 R2 F L2 F U2 F' R2 U' R
7. 11.12 D2 R2 D2 B2 L' F2 R U2 R' F2 L F' D' R2 B' D L B R B2 D'
8. 11.66 U' R2 U R2 D2 B2 L2 B2 U B2 R2 U2 R' U F D' R' F' L B R
9. 11.67 L2 D U2 F2 L2 D R2 F2 R2 D F U R' B D2 B' L2 R' U'
10. 11.40 B R' F2 D2 F2 U' R' D2 L' U2 F' D2 B L2 U2 F L2 F U2 F2 U2
11. 11.30 U2 F' D2 B' R2 B' L2 D2 B2 R2 F R B D2 R2 U' F L2 B F2
12. 11.04 L2 F2 D L2 R2 F2 D L2 D2 L2 U' B U2 L' F' D' F' R' D' U B

PetraPine

YouTube
Visit Channel
If you are going to use petrus use block on back:
Was just trying out block on left and my suspicions were confirmed.
I was trying it out to see how bad the ergo really was compared to BoB
and yah it was really bad.
the main issues are:
R U cases are turned into B U which is oof, and if you don't want to do that you have to lose efficiency by a move or two to make it into an F U case(which isn't much better) in comparison to the R U/ L U cases of BoB.
the other obvious one from the start is S U and S F cases, which yah might be ok with zoomer fingertricks but its nothing compared to M U, and M U y is just directly better imo.
the less obvious issues:
if you start with 222 on front, you have a giant blind spot while creating exstention so if you don't plan 223 you basically have to start with block in back left+extention in front left.
EO lookahead is slightly worse, sense you have a less clear view of (rotate to BoB)
DF and FR.
advantages:
you don't have to do one rotation.(better transition to RB)
and thats it.
If you disagree with me please explain because its not looking good for block on left.
(also got 14.68 ao12 with it because I was trying it out)
Edit:S moves for most cases are actually ok, but some cases are still abominable. Also very fun, and leading into rb right away is cool
edit:always building block on BL isnt an issue

Last edited:

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
If you are going to use petrus use block on back:
Was just trying out block on left and my suspicions were confirmed.
I was trying it out to see how bad the ergo really was compared to BoB
and yah it was really bad.
the main issues are:
R U cases are turned into B U which is oof, and if you don't want to do that you have to lose efficiency by a move or two to make it into an F U case(which isn't much better) in comparison to the R U/ L U cases of BoB.
the other obvious one from the start is S U and S F cases, which yah might be ok with zoomer fingertricks but its nothing compared to M U, and M U y is just directly better imo.
the less obvious issues:
if you start with 222 on front, you have a giant blind spot while creating exstention so if you don't plan 223 you basically have to start with block in back left+extention in front left.
EO lookahead is slightly worse, sense you have a less clear view of (rotate to BoB)
DF and FR.
advantages:
you don't have to do one rotation.(better transition to RB)
and thats it.
If you disagree with me please explain because its not looking good for block on left.
(also got 14.68 ao12 with it because I was trying it out)
Edit:S moves for most cases are actually ok, but some cases are still abominable. Also very fun, and leading into rb right away is cool
Wait what are you actually using if not Block in Back?

For me, I generally just do whatever’s most efficient in terms of ergonomics and then rotate/wide move to block in back, and I’ve been thinking I should really switch to keeping it in the back from the start to prevent the rotations, but maybe not?

PetraPine

YouTube
Visit Channel
Wait what are you actually using if not Block in Back?

For me, I generally just do whatever’s most efficient in terms of ergonomics and then rotate/wide move to block in back, and I’ve been thinking I should really switch to keeping it in the back from the start to prevent the rotations, but maybe not?
Yah some people do block on left to not rotate but have way worse algs. Also you should REALLY REALLY switch to almost always just doing block on back