• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] My Written Review Thread

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
This is a thread for all of the puzzles that I get. I am going to write a written review about all of them, and hopefully this can help people in the future decide if they should get these puzzles.

Price (USD): $29.99
Size: 55 millimeters, 84.0 grams

Out of the box, this cube was kind of slow and dry, but I could immediately tell it had a ton of potential. I did a few solves to get a feel of the cube, then opened the center caps to adjust the tensions. Using Moyu's classic tensioning system, I set each side to 3 clicks from the default (loosest) setting, and changed the magnets to the strongest setting (1). I then took the cube apart, took a minute admiring the awesome purple internals, then put my favorite lubes into the cube. A combination of MAX Fleet, Silk, and DNM-37 made this cube feel amazing. This puzzle has now become my main over my Tengyun v2 M that I've been using for over 2 years now. After doing over 500 solves total on this cube, I can confidently say that it is now one of my favorite cubes that I own. It is noticeably smaller than a 56 millimeter cube, but it doesn't make a difference in my times, and the great performance of the cube just makes it so much fun to solve on. The only possible downside to this cube for some people may be the corner cutting. It is just average, and the smaller cuts are very snappy, which I kind of like, but some people may not. All in all, this is an amazing cube, and I totally recommend it for only $30!

Overall rating: 10/10
Price (USD): $25.99
Size: 55 millimeters, 72.0 grams

*Make sure to read the WR M 2021 Maglev review above, as I will be referencing that cube in this review.*

When I unboxed this cube, I thought that it was going to be my main over the Moyu Weilong WR M 2021 Maglev because it just felt way quieter, softer, and smoother out of the box. The logo is sweet, and the cube performed very well, aside from the slightly below average corner cutting, and the cube being a little sluggish, like many reviews had mentioned. I took off the center caps and took a look at the pamphlet to adjust the cube, and to my surprise, everybody was right when they said how easy this cube is to adjust. There is an inner ring and an outer ring. To turn these rings, you use what Qiyi calls the "harpoon head" of the tool that is included in the box. To adjust the spring tension of the cube, you turn the tool clockwise, and to adjust the axis distance, you turn the tool counter-clockwise. Along with the numbers (1-5) and the colors on the inside, this is one of the simplest adjustment systems on the market right now. I then put all the center caps back on and put some Silk and DNM-37 inside the cube, which made it even more amazing than it was already out of the box, but I didn't like it as much as the WR M Maglev. After doing a few hundred solves on each, I decided that the Moyu cube was going to be my main. I liked that cube slightly more than this one, but I got very similar times on both, so I could have mained either cube. If you're looking for a new 3x3 main, the new-and-improved Tornado v3 has just come out, and it includes Maglev, among many other features for the exact same price as the Weilong WR M Maglev. It is your choice which cube you want to buy, but in general, I think I would actually recommend the Tornado v3 over any other 3x3 on the market right now.

Overall rating: 9/10
Price (USD): $8.99
Size: 56 millimeters, 86.0 grams

Okay, I know I'm a little late to the party on this one, so this review will be very short. This cube is great for it's price. The cube is a bit dry, and the spring noise can be a bit annoying, but this is an amazing budget cube for any aspiring speedcuber. It will help any beginning cuber reach new heights, and it will teach them how to properly set up a cube along the way. Overall, a great cube for what it is. Not my main, but I definitely recommend it to anyone!

(Also, I put the extra magnets in for $1.99, which I also recommend. The stock magnets are a bit too weak.)

Overall rating: 9/10
Price (USD): $22.99
Size: 62 millimeters, 136.7 grams

Honestly, I did not like this cube at all out of the box. It was slow, dry, and just an unpleasant cube to solve. But, I did a few dozen solves to break in the cube, and it is now my main over my Valk 5. I didn't do any set up to it besides adding some Silk, which made it feel much better. I'm also very late to the party on this cube, but this is definitely the best 5x5 on the market right now.

Price (USD): $18.99
Size: 98 millimeters, 125.0 grams

I was scared when I opened this cube. It was way too fast, and every time I tried to do a U turn, I'd do a U2 or even a U3. I couldn't find anything thin enough to help me get the tip off of the cube, but then I remembered that I have Compound X, which, if you don't know, is designed to slow cubes down. I put 3-4 drops (a lot for a pyraminx) inside this puzzle, then broke it in. After a while, I could control it much better, and it is for sure my main. It is such a fun puzzle to solve on now, and it has definitely made me better at pyraminx, which I can't say about many new puzzles that I get.

Price (USD): $32.99
Size: 31 millimeters, 99.0 grams

This is an amazing puzzle. It fast, yet controllable, and is by far the lightest megaminx on the market. I replaced the gray side on this cube with the black pieces that can be purchased separately for $2.99. I love this puzzle so much, and it's very light weight makes it super easy to do long sessions on. If you have the money, you should buy this puzzle, but if not, I've heard that the YJ Yuhu v2 M is also an amazing option for only $12.99. (I don't actually have it, but that is what I have seen and heard from others.)

Price (USD): $39.99 (only available on TheCubicle.com)
Size: 54 millimeter length/width, 56 millimeter height, 96.0 grams

You thought the stock MGC squan was amazing? Think again. This cube, with all of its mods, makes the best square-1 on the market, bar none. The maglev, extra magnets, and professional setup make this cube perfect. I love solving on this puzzle, and I recommend it to anyone and everyone who can get their hands on it!

Price (USD): $15.99
Size: 55.5 millimeters, 9.0 grams

This is a really fun challenge for anyone who enjoys the square-1 and wants something new to solve. It took me about 20-30 minutes to figure out how to solve this puzzle, and it is one of my favorite non-WCA puzzles to solve. The turning is not speedsolvable, but that is not a problem for anyone who just wants this for fun. If you do want to speedsolve it, however, there are already magnets, and you should be able to set it up somewhat decently for a quicker and more pleasant solving experience. Definitely recommend!

Last edited:

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
Awesome reviews. Will be keeping an eye on this thread.
Thank you! I took inspiration from your threads, but altered it a bit. Instead of doing large paragraphs, I just made it a lot shorter and to-the-point, because that is how I prefer to get information. Maybe other people enjoy reading paragraphs more, though.

Zain_A24

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thank you! I took inspiration from your threads, but altered it a bit. Instead of doing large paragraphs, I just made it a lot shorter and to-the-point, because that is how I prefer to get information. Maybe other people enjoy reading paragraphs more, though.

Yeah that's cool. My reviews just end up becoming long paragraphs since I don't want to miss anything out, but I certainly enjoyed reading your more condensed reviews. Hopefully we will see you take to leap of faith and head over to YouTube at some point in the future.

Yeah that's cool. My reviews just end up becoming long paragraphs since I don't want to miss anything out, but I certainly enjoyed reading your more condensed reviews. Hopefully we will see you take to leap of faith and head over to YouTube at some point in the future.

Usually, long paragraphs are more reliable. I like them more.

I'm A Cuber

There are now pro shop, angstrom, celeritas, and mystic versions of the ms. Also, I agree with it being too fast ootb and too tight. So I loosened it two quarter turns, and lubed it with dignitas and celeritas. I feel like this is still a good cube for beginners, as a fast cube is not necessarily bad for beginners. Also, I feel that it is a mistake to assume that most beginners don’t have lube, because the cube is only $8 and lube is not that expensive, so you only need to spend ~$5 extra to get some.

WCA
2019HENK01
There are now pro shop, angstrom, celeritas, and mystic versions of the ms. Also, I agree with it being too fast ootb and too tight. So I loosened it two quarter turns, and lubed it with dignitas and celeritas. I feel like this is still a good cube for beginners, as a fast cube is not necessarily bad for beginners. Also, I feel that it is a mistake to assume that most beginners don’t have lube, because the cube is only $8 and lube is not that expensive, so you only need to spend ~$5 extra to get some.

AGuy27

It takes a fair amount of set-up to fit my liking, but maybe other people like it right out of the box. For me, it was too fast (I wish I had some heavy silicone lube for the pieces), and the tensions were way too tight.
What would you recommend for beginners instead?