• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

My Story of Improvement | Taking a short break

What should I name this thread?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I kinda forgot to mention this, but I also been improving a lot on 6x6! I have been getting loads of sub 2:10s and I am pretty much sub 2:15 now. The fabled sub 2 single should be happening any day now, as I have had several fails where I was at 1:40 or similar going into 3x3 stage and was on pace for sub 2, then double parity or a bad 3x3 stage happened.
Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 8.10.07 AM.png

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Week 5 is out! Let's see how I did on my goals.
4x4 - Sub 38 ao50, at least 200 solves: I exceeded my ao50 goal and actually got a sub 37 ao50, but I did nowhere near 200 solves.
5x5 - At least two sub 1 singles, 1:05 ao50: I got a 1:05.81 ao50, but only got one sub 1.
6x6 - Maybe sub 2 single, sub 2:15 ao50, do 100 solves at least: I again got the ao50 goal with a 2:14.79 but didn't do 100 solves.
7x7 - Sub 3:40 ao25, maybe sub 3:20 single: I didn't practice enough to get these goals.
Megaminx - Sub 1:10 ao12: Same as 7x7.
FMC - Get a sub 35: I SMASHED this goal and got a 30.

Overall this week was bittersweet for me. I improved a lot on certain events, but I could have done so much better had I practiced more events and done more solves.

Now, about week 6, my school is starting online soon (Thanks corona) and I might not be able to practice much this week. That said, I won't be focusing on anything specific this week.I'll update this if anything interesting happens, but don't be surprised if not much happens this week.

Also, the name poll is closed, and Nmile7300's Story of Improvement is the winner! If you guys don't mind, I will change it to My Story of Improvement to take up less space in the title. Goodbye, unoriginal name!

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I just did something really eye opening. I looked at the world rankings on the WCA website and compared how my global averages for all the events I at least somewhat care about (3-7, OH, BLD, Minxes, SQ1, and FMC) would be ranked. I've decided that a good goal for me currently is to try to get my global averages down to a top 500 average. I am pretty much already there for 5x5, 6x6, and Pyra, but for some events I am quite far away.
Normally this wouldn't be the best way to set a goal since the rankings can change a lot in a few months, but since there's basically no comps right now I think this is the perfect time to do this type of thing. So here is the global average I need to get to for top 500 in my "main" events.
3x3 - 8.4
4x4 - 34.5
7x7 - 3:23
OH - 14.8
3BLD - 1:25
FMC - 34
Megaminx - 58.8
Square 1 - 14.4

As you can see, I have a long way to go. This has given me a lot of insight as to what I need to work on as an all rounder!

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
@Nmile7300 you being an allrounder how do you manage time and get around to practicing many events?
do you make a time table thing? or do you do an event when you feel like it.
I'm not sure how Nmile does it but since I am trying to become an all-rounder I just do the event that I need/want to improve on. Right now my 6x6 grind has been on hold for a while so I'm picking it back up to get better.

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
To be honest I haven't really been that great of an all rounder recently (I like big cubes too much :p) but the way I should start doing it is lightly practicing the events that I am already "good" at (this is 3-7, pyra, and FMC for me) and doing focused practice on 1 or 2 of my not as good events until they are at a level I am happy with, then moving on to another event or two. If at certain point all my events are at a good level then I'll just pick some of my favorite events to focus on.

Last edited:

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Week 6 is out! I had a lot more free time this week than I thought, so I was able to practice more. I got a clock and am averaging sub 20, and I lowered my average on various events. This week I am going to focus on OH and Megaminx, and I going to continue focusing on them until I get to a certain point. My current averages for OH and Megaminx are 18.5 and 1:10 respectively, and I am going to practice until they are about 16 and 1:00 respectively. I can't wait to start improving!

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
For me personally, I try to be an all-rounder by always working on 3x3, and one other event that I focus hard on as well for 2-3 weeks (I switch them out), and there's another side event that I practice a little bit
So THAT'S what I'm doing wrong

To be honest I haven't really been that great of an all rounder recently (I like big cubes too much :p)
Ah yes, the Achilles Heel of all-rounders, big cubes that are more fun than anything else.

BTW, what is your "unofficial" nemesis count? By that, I mean how many nemeses would you have if your official results matched your global average? This is just to counter the fact that unless you went to Lonely Denmark, you probably haven't competed since February or March. I only have 33 with my adjusted big cube and squan averages.

To find that out, go to this website and click what if, then click results, and enter in your global average.
Nemesizer.com

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have 32 nemeses! HAHAHAHAHAH I am superior! Jk, cool site! I never knew that existed. Also just realized how garbage some of my official results are lol, guess that happens when you don't compete for 7 months.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have 32 nemeses! HAHAHAHAHAH I am superior! Jk, cool site! I never knew that existed. Also just realized how garbage some of my official results are lol, guess that happens when you don't compete for 7 months.
Yea, It's pretty cool. It also makes me feel good that Scalpel doesn't nemesize me! (assuming I have a 10.00 avg in squan officially which will probably happen once comps resume) At least I have a sub-2 in 2x2 that gets my nemesis count low.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh I didn't put in singles oops. I didn't really know what to put in there, should I put PB singles or what?
I didn't change singles since you can't really have a GA single, I don't think it matters too much though since if you have a good average already a good single doesn't help unless its a really good single/