• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

My progression thread, I guess. (Road to Sub-10 CFOP) | (Re)Learning PLL

Can I reach sub-15 by Summer 2022?

• Total voters

ruffleduck

YouTube
Visit Channel
ARGGGHHH I have a competitive exam, the ISTSE on November 7th! So that means even more pressure now! And it's only two days before another exam, and its 5 days after yet another exam! When will I get to cube? And I think from next week onwards, we'll have holidays, but we'll be getting Holiday Home Assignments! I just can't get a break to cube!
wait till you're in high school lol

LBr

WCA
2022FOGG01
ARGGGHHH I have a competitive exam, the ISTSE on November 7th! So that means even more pressure now! And it's only two days before another exam, and its 5 days after yet another exam! When will I get to cube? And I think from next week onwards, we'll have holidays, but we'll be getting Holiday Home Assignments! I just can't get a break to cube!
It might be best to put off improving until the work is over. Probs cube like 20-30 min a day if you can, because then you can guarantee you won't lose your lookahead, and when there is less work, improve then

OtterCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Good luck!

YouTube
Visit Channel
Alright. My holidays started today, and I don't think they're going to give us HHAs, so that's good. IN order to improve, I'll be taking part in the Weekly Comps, because they're kinda like comps, but not really. I'll be doing this along with CSUL (if i don't have a major exam, but its only once a month, so I think I'm good.) In other news, my 4x4 popped, so I spent the whole evening reassembling it. Ya know that feeling when you're almost done, but you realize that you forgot to put in a small edge bracket on the second layer? Yeah, that happened to me. anyway, that's my status as of now. I've put of OLL, but I'll restart it during this period.

On a long train journey, Smashin' PBs one a stop
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ooh good luck man!

YouTube
Visit Channel
Progress update: I have progressed from sub 22 to sub 21 on 3x3, sub 2:11 to sub 2:09 on 4x4 and sub 20 to sub 16 on pyraminx. The bad news is my cube is locking up a lot more than it did before. I was doing an A Perm, and it locked up approximately 19 times. I did tighten it, but that made the cube slow and it still locked up. Any fixes?

On a long train journey, Smashin' PBs one a stop
YouTube
Visit Channel
Progress update: I have progressed from sub 22 to sub 21 on 3x3, sub 2:11 to sub 2:09 on 4x4 and sub 20 to sub 16 on pyraminx. The bad news is my cube is locking up a lot more than it did before. I was doing an A Perm, and it locked up approximately 19 times. I did tighten it, but that made the cube slow and it still locked up. Any fixes?
Take it apart and clean every piece. Trust me, it helps.

YouTube
Visit Channel
Status update: Haven't been finding much time to cube because of the ISTSE and weekly exams, but I still squeeze in a 10 minute session whenever i can. Also, my mouse broke, so I haven't been able to edit the vid, but I ordered a new one and its coming soon! Also ordered headphones because my old ones don't work on one side anymore (100 reactions if you can guess). They look pretty cool, but I've officially reached sub 21! My next goal is sub 20, so I think if I practice for just a little bit longer, SUB 20!

Last edited:
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yep. I'm back. So after the ISTSEs, now we have ANTHE. Which I have registered for. BUT, I have given myself respite for 60 minutes, during which I can cube (after online classes). So yep. I've gone up to sub 22 again, but I think I'll shed that off soon. The reason I wasn't online was I had cousins over, and they literally just wanted to go,"Hey cool cube. Can I try" and the next thing you know, my cube's on the ground. So that's why. Anyway, now I positively will cube for a minimum of 30 mins a day. Still learning OLL, still practicing F2L tho. So any tips to help me learn faster (other than drilling)? Thanks

YouTube
Visit Channel
Alright. So today I drilled OLLs, and let's just say, it didn't go too well. My cube just kept locking up. Annoying. So I learnt some new OLLs. I want to prioritize the harder ones first, kinda like homework. After learning a few, I did an ao12. My solves were:

Solve 1: 21.42
Solve 2: 20.53
Solve 3: 19.71
Solve 4: 22.18
Solve 5: 18.42
Solve 6: 20.59
Solve 7: 20.34
Solve 8: 20.51
Solve 9: 23.19
Solve 10: 20.03
Solve 11: 19.34
Solve 12: 24.12

= 20.86

I had a huge lockup on solve 12, therefore halting my F2L for 1 second. I also need to start using better fingertricks but I don't know where to start.

YouTube
Visit Channel
So today, after an engaging round of Skribbl, I cubed. I cleaned my 3x3 out, lubed it, and got straight to... learning? Yes. I continued with OLL, focusing on the DOT SHAPES. *dun dun dun* . That's currently my goal. Finish harder OLLs first, then go to easier ones (like I mentioned 2 posts above). Hooray! (side note: I didn't complete any though because I'm lazy and didn't want to drill). Then, after about 20 minutes of learning, I practiced some new fingertricks. Definitely helped me in my 5 solves that I did (because I had classes from 2). Solves:

=19.72

Happy with the average, but overall, still sub 21.

YouTube
Visit Channel
I owe an explanation. On the surface, it may seem like I'm one of those accounts who just posted for a year or two, and then just left. But I promise, there's more to it than that. I've been busy. Exams suppressed my desire to cube, like the Iron Fist of the Empire pushing down and oppressing the inhabitants of a galaxy, far, far away. In this case, the Empire was my school. Once that ended, I had to go to my home town. After that, I just didn't want to do anything. I was afraid to look at my cube, let alone cube. Then, since I had nothing to do, I decided to finish my Lego sets from like 2-3 years ago. The only ones which were broken were 75060 and 75212. Those two took a week. And then my books came. I've officially entered the ecosystem of learning, rote memorization, writing and repeat. I just don't have the spirit to cube atm. I will come back someday. But I don't think that's today.

This was just a small update.

YouTube
Visit Channel
Today I felt like something was missing. I played Table Tennis, but that hole wasn't filled in. So I cubed. I'm relearning some of my PLL algs because I've forgotten them. Currently, the ones I have relearned are:

-F Perm
-Ra Perm
-Rb Perm

I'm trying to do V, but I keep messing up. Also, my cube feels a bit loose even though I've tensioned it and adjusted the springs. Any advice?

I also played the old LEGO TFA game. It's ok, but I went straight to cubing after that. If I can, I'm going to ask for the following during "summer" vacay:
-LEGO TSS
-Tornado V2M
-DNM
-Audio Splitter Cable

It isn't summer vacation because everyday here is like summer.

crazycuber36

YouTube
Visit Channel
I owe an explanation. On the surface, it may seem like I'm one of those accounts who just posted for a year or two, and then just left. But I promise, there's more to it than that. I've been busy. Exams suppressed my desire to cube, like the Iron Fist of the Empire pushing down and oppressing the inhabitants of a galaxy, far, far away. In this case, the Empire was my school. Once that ended, I had to go to my home town. After that, I just didn't want to do anything. I was afraid to look at my cube, let alone cube. Then, since I had nothing to do, I decided to finish my Lego sets from like 2-3 years ago. The only ones which were broken were 75060 and 75212. Those two took a week. And then my books came. I've officially entered the ecosystem of learning, rote memorization, writing and repeat. I just don't have the spirit to cube atm. I will come back someday. But I don't think that's today.

This was just a small update.
I have kinda glanced through this thread about your progression to achieve sub 10 over the last year and as you've mentioned, you've seemed to have lost some motivation to cube and I don't blame you, achieving sub 10 takes years of hard-core dedication and learning. I started cubing 3 years ago and lost interest for about a year in between and haven't progressed past the lower 20s since I had begun. Balancing education and the many other occurrences in life only add to this challenge and I'm guessing that you've come to understand this through your cubing progression. I'm started many other projects like this in my life and some I simply couldn't continue due to the lack of motivation and preserverance I had. As time goes on the challenge does in a way become harder mentally, but it all comes down to how much you want to achieve your goal. But you also need to be mindful of your other goals in life and most importantly, get your priorities straight, which, when looking back through this thread, it seems that you have with your education and studies. So what I'm trying to say is if you really want this, your gonna have to go in and stay in this with a mindset ankowledging how hard it will be, and how much effort you'll have to put in mentally, which you seem to have done quite well throughout this past year. Im not trying to criticize you or condemn you for taking breaks or loosing interest, but I want you to know that although learning CFOP, practicing algorithms, improving finger tricks, learning look ahead, developing full OLL and PLL recognition, and learning more tips and tricks to effectively execute your solves are very important, the most important is acquiring a level of preserverance and motivation that can get you through thick and thin when achieving your goal. Either way, if you decide to continue your goal of sub 10 or just casually cube, the decision is completely up to you and what you feel is worthwhile.

Last edited:
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have kinda glanced through this thread about your progression to achieve sub 10 over the last year and as you've mentioned, you've seemed to have lost some motivation to cube and I don't blame you, achieving sub 10 takes years of hard-core dedication and learning. I started cubing 3 years ago and lost interest for about a year in between and haven't progressed past the lower 20s since I had begun. Balancing education and the many other occurrences in life only add to this challenge and I'm guessing that you've come to understand this through your cubing progression. I'm started many other projects like this in my life and some I simply couldn't continue due to the lack of motivation and preserverance I had. As time goes on the challenge does in a way become harder mentally, but it all comes down to how much you want to achieve your goal. But you also need to be mindful of your other goals in life and most importantly, get your priorities straight, which, when looking back through this thread, it seems that you have with your education and studies. So what I'm trying to say is if you really want this, your gonna have to go in and stay in this with a mindset ankowledging how hard it will be, and how much effort you'll have to put in mentally, which you seem to have done quite well throughout this past year. Im not trying to criticize you or condemn you for taking breaks or loosing interest, but I want you to know that although learning CFOP, practicing algorithms, improving finger tricks, learning look ahead, developing full OLL and PLL recognition, and learning more tips and tricks to effectively execute your solves are very important, the most important is acquiring a level of preserverance and motivation that can get you through thick and thin when achieving your goal. Either way, if you decide to continue your goal of sub 10 or just casually cube, the decision is completely up to you and what you feel is worthwhile.
Thanks. I have been hit with a blast of fresh energy since, well, yesterday. Cubing is inseperable. I want this. I want to be sub 10. I'll work harder, balance it with studies, and I'll have fun. This is my POV: If I'm not having fun learning and memorizing, I just stop and go do other things. Once I'm refreshed, I come back to cubing (when I'm allowed, of course). But I love it. I left because I wasn't progressing. I was stuck and I was getting frustrated at myself. It sucked. It drained me of motivation and it suppressed my will to study. Because I HAD to become faster. Coming back after a month or two, I feel like I can learn again. It feels like the days where I didn't know anything, where I actually had fun learning. Relearning these algs and striving to get faster feels good. So atm, I'm going to work harder. I will get faster. I know the risks, and I'm fully prepared to face them. This time, I have a way around the blockade.

YouTube
Visit Channel
I did 22 solves today, can't figure out how to export so:

1: 24.45
2: 24.45
3: 21.76
4: 19.78
5: 15.96 (pure luck)
6: 19.50
7: DNF
8: 23.31
9: DNF
10: 22.50 (+2 so 24.50)
11: 22.04
12: 22.17
13: 17.24
14: 21.60
15: 17.02
16: 22.22
17: 24.70
18: 14.10
19: 18.77
20: 24.33
21: 23.16
22: 21.16

I forgot J Perm on 9, and on 7 I messed up. On 8, I had a U2 left so +2. Plenty of unexpected sub 20s plus a 14.10 which was OLL skip. I tried turning as fast as I can, but that just made the cube unstable so I left that. I just keep glancing at the time in the middle of a solve. That's why I lost time on 1,2,17,20 and 21.