• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

My Partial OPLL method

MaeLSTRoM

WCA
2011WALL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello Everyone, I would like to introduce you to my partial OPLL (Orientation Permutation of Last Layer) method. I came across it while experimenting with F2L blocks and certain PLLs.

PLease Note that this is a ZBLL Subset and can be used for that. This is not an Independent Method but can be used for OLL/PLL in Fridrich.

How It works:
If you have a Headlights of Bowtie OLL case, then most of the time, it can be solved by a conjugate of a PLL, so no new algorithms. (Conjugate is [A B A'])
The full list of cases that I have found so far are in the Pdf file below.

19/02/2011 - V2
V2- Added 5 cases and corrected some spellings
Version 2 can be found here:

View attachment OPLLFinal-V2.pdf

Version 1 can be found here:

View attachment OPLLFinal-V1.pdf

Wiki page: OPLL
Please give me any tips or feedback on this!
Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I really like this, but my only issue with learning these (If I do, haha) will be looking at the PLL case (even though it's on OLL) and remembering to be like instead of doing the PLL form of this case, do the setup + other PLL + setup' haha. Awesome list though man :)

It might be worth looking into if you could get some up to 3 move setups to provide more OPLL combinations :p

MaeLSTRoM

WCA
2011WALL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanx for the feedback, I am currently looking ino other things like this and will hopefully be able to expand the list. And i know recognition might be quite hard but I'm really slow at OLL so it will work for me :)

stufkan

WCA
2010MICH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice find, would consider learning this if there was a more clear pattern in the algorithms and recognition. I think it is far to difficult to recognize as it is now.

I can add this case:
L' R U - Tperm - U' L R
which gives a chameleon case

Last edited:

MaeLSTRoM

WCA
2011WALL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for that case! Will add it now. As for recognition, yeah I can see that it would be hard but it is just like recognising PLLs and then applying the correct move.

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I really hope Chris Tran sees this. He might be able to give some tips for recognition or other things.

From the recognition aspect, it seems like all you have to do is recognize the twisted corners, then look at the PLL that it is. Granted, this will work directly against your normal PLL recognition, because you recognize say a Y PLL but have to do a Setup + N + Setup, or something to that nature.

This is obviously a huge advantage from the speedsolving aspect (setup + PLL + setup'), but it will also really help out in the FMC area as well.

This is really an awesome find!

Brest

Staff member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've experimented with this idea over the last couple of months, but I haven't documented any of it. I find the case recognition is difficult during a speed solve, where I'm just looking for orientation first, then permutation. However, I'm not practiced enough to be able to predict what OLL or PLL case I will have, I need to finish the preceding step. I'm fairly sure that many fast cubers know what case they will have before they've got to it.

It's possible to do some edge flips with a similar idea. Some examples:

(M' + Ja perm + M) is an edge flip Jb perm. alg.garron.us
(M + Jb perm + M') is an edge flip Ja perm. alg.garron.us
(S + Ja perm + S') is an edge flip Ra perm. alg.garron.us
(S + Jb perm + S') is an edge flip Rb perm. alg.garron.us
(M' + Y perm + M) is an edge flip V perm. alg.garron.us
(S + V perm + S') is an edge flip Y perm. alg.garron.us

Setup moves can also be combined to produce edge twirls and corner flips. Some examples:
(M' F) + Y perm + (F' M) is a corner twirl + edge flip Ja perm. alg.garron.us
(F S) + Ja perm + (F' S) is a corner twirl + edge flip V perm. alg.garron.us

I hope those help!

I will definitely spend time with your documentation to see how many you have found. Nice work! :tu

MaeLSTRoM

WCA
2011WALL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
At some point in the near future, I will put all of this on a wiki page, so that it is easier to find. Any ideas for how it hould be laid out (e.g Like the PLLs)? Also thanks for the cases guys! If you can find ones where only cornerss need to be twisted (2nd look OLL) then they would be preferred.

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
I typed up a whole list earlier but got 500 internal error D:<
If you start a wiki page I'll help, and why not combine Sune variants?
Sune, lefty Sune = pure chameleon.
Anti Sune, left Anti Sune = Pure headlights.
Then soooo many combinations of Sune + AUF + Antisune sune.
You could do Sune, then Antisune from one of 3 angles, Sune from 1 of 4 angles, lefty Anti Sune from 4 angles, or lefty Sune from 4 angles, so many combinations (some have same effect) can be solved like this.

Edit: Wiki page "lazy ZBLL."

Edit: A Wiki ZBLL page would be nice, and could have multiple algs. So lazy at the bottom, anyone up for starting? Not pics for every case, grid like.

Last edited:

MaeLSTRoM

WCA
2011WALL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was thinking of splitting them up into OLL case -> PLL Case and then listing the different ones, and laying it out Like the OLL page with the different categories. what do you think about that?

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
I was thinking of splitting them up into OLL case -> PLL Case and then listing the different ones, and laying it out Like the OLL page with the different categories. what do you think about that?

No, I think just have a grid with all COLL cases across the top, with arrows of the edge rotations down the side.
I prefer printable sheets :p