• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

My OH switching journey

Erik

WCA
2005AKKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've been doing OH with my right hand ever since I started. I used to average about 28 seconds, but I haven't practised it much so it's back to about 31. I tried it with my left hand and found out it feels much more natural and also no neem for converting algorithms then. My best time with left is now 22 sec and 33 avg of 12 :)

dChan

WCA
2007CHAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hmm, that's interesting. Maybe I should practice more with both of my hands? I am pretty good with my left hand(with lefthand I average over a minute while with my right hand I average sub-50) but it needs a little more practice. I actually mirror my T-perms and some OLLs because it feels unnatural to do it the normal way when I do left hand.

tenderchkn

I've always done 1h right handed as well, and have been stuck in the low 30's for a while. Well, not exactly stuck, but progress is pretty slow, due to the lack of practice. I've tried my left hand just for fun a few times but it feels pretty awkward, and I end up with times in the high 40's. Even though I can do algs at natural angles, the awkwardness of the executation causes me to lose time. I've heard of people practice with their off hand to be more balanced in speedsolving, so maybe I'll give it a better effort. In general though, I think I'm more balanced now than I was before I started practicing 1h.

dChan

WCA
2007CHAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Before I was vicously against L moves. But now that I am tryin to finish learning OLL I find that L moves are necessary when you reflect/mirror certain cases, therefore I use more L moves than usual. Also my F2L has a whole bunch of L moves when I try to d cases from all angles. Maybe this helps with OH cubing with the Lefthand when you are used to the right hand?

gillesvdp

I thought Marc was a fellow Right Handed OH solver !

Anyway, I don't think I am going to switch hands now :p
Hope it turns alright for you

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
As far as I heard, Marc is indeed a right-handed one-handed solver (just like Erik said). Marc is still quite a mystery. He is probably capable of breaking some world records (OH, 4x4x4), but he isn't allowed to go to a competition by his parents? I think we will see some amazing results from him when he turns 18 or maybe at a Dutch (Open/National) tournament.