• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Unofficial] My First Sub Minute using F2L!

Machine

YouTube
Visit Channel
So yeah, it's been a month since i got my first rubiks cube.
I went down to below minute using beginner method, then learned F2L and some 4LLL,
and my times went up to like 1:30 ..
So i drilled it all day and this is the best i got so far with F2L.

I know it's not like impressive or anything, but i still feel kinda proud, and thought i would share it with you guys :)
It's pretty dark because it is in the middle of the night, but if you do see anything - go ahead and give me some tips! :p

Last edited by a moderator:

ChickenWrap

YouTube
Visit Channel
So yeah, it's been a month since i got my first rubiks cube.
I went down to below minute using beginner method, then learned F2L and some 4LLL,
and my times went up to like 1:30 ..
So i drilled it all day and this is the best i got so far with F2L.

I know it's like impressive or anything, but i still feel kinda proud, and thought i would share it with you guys :)
It's pretty dark because it is in the middle of the night, but if you do see anything - go ahead and give me some tips! :p

Nice job!!

Tips: you spend a lot of time finding each F2l case. At your current level, just practice as much as you can. Becoming more familiar with each case will lead to faster recognition and faster times. Also, learn 4-look Last layer when you can! It is really easy. (I am not that great with F2l, but I average 21 seconds with 4 look last layer, so it can be relatively fast!)

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Machine

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for your feedback!

Yeah i know i use SOO MUCh time finding it.. like i can literally solve it faster with beginners method -.-
But yeah i am gonna keep working on it, and i will be posting a videos whenever my times improve significantly.

And yeah, i just started learning som 4LLL, will try learning them all this weekend probably :)

ChickenWrap

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for your feedback!

Yeah i know i use SOO MUCh time finding it.. like i can literally solve it faster with beginners method -.-
But yeah i am gonna keep working on it, and i will be posting a videos whenever my times improve significantly.

And yeah, i just started learning som 4LLL, will try learning them all this weekend probably :)

Good luck! That is easily doable.

*I wish I could do a backflip as well as you!

cubeninjaIV

WCA
2009HILD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Aside from finding your pieces faster, i noticed that you make lots of rotations. try to learn how to do cases from multiple angles. for example R U R' and R' U' R are essentially the same insert case but mirrored over the F/B axis. this one is very easy, most other cases are more difficult, but by no means truly hard.
this will help you keep a mental tab on the slots that you have already solved and where the pieces you are looking for are.

Machine

YouTube
Visit Channel
*I wish I could do a backflip as well as you!

Then go ahead and learn ! Easy Peasy ;P

Aside from finding your pieces faster, i noticed that you make lots of rotations. try to learn how to do cases from multiple angles. for example R U R' and R' U' R are essentially the same insert case but mirrored over the F/B axis. this one is very easy, most other cases are more difficult, but by no means truly hard.
this will help you keep a mental tab on the slots that you have already solved and where the pieces you are looking for are.

Thanks for the tip. There are certain turn i still find kinda diffcult to execute, so i rotate so that i can do the ones that are easy for me. I know thats wrong tho :p

BTW, i learned F2L from that "Hunting Story" thing on youtube. I found it very easy to learn but isn't it like a bit ineficcient? Should i learn the algorythms?
I feel like there are certain cases i use so much more moves on than others.

Last edited:

aboeglin

Then go ahead and learn ! Easy Peasy ;P

Thanks for the tip. There are certain turn i still find kinda diffcult to execute, so i rotate so that i can do the ones that are easy for me. I know thats wrong tho :p

BTW, i learned F2L from that "Hunting Story" thing on youtube. I found it very easy to learn but isn't it like a bit ineficcient? Should i learn the algorythms?

I don't know what's the maximum move count for a pair, but I believe it is probably around 11-12 for certain cases, assuming you only use R, U moves and 3 slots are solved. Luckily, 75% of the pairs you solve have more than one empty slot.

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel

You should be proud!

You don't have to learn any algs for F2L yet. The Hunting Story is essentially a Beginner's method of Intuitive F2L, and it's a great place to start.

I began learning more advanced F2L stuff from CBC's tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOHCpTuiNDg
This series was made while he was averaging somewhere above 20 seconds. His videos on Beginner will likely be stuff you already know... and Advanced F2L really helped me out when I was first starting with CFOP.

The last 5 videos in this series are all about algs, but he doesn't use very good algs for certain cases.

Edit.... the Beginner's F2L video is pretty long and boring. But there might be something in there for you?

Last edited:

Machine

YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't know what's the maximum move count for a pair, but I believe it is probably around 11-12 for certain cases, assuming you only use R, U moves and 3 slots are solved. Luckily, 75% of the pairs you solve have more than one empty slot.

Yeah i noticed that some cases are like 4 moves, while some are 10 or more..

Is it just me or does EVERYONE use cubetimer when they are starting out haha! I did ^.^

Well. its like the only one i found online that you could start with a spcebar (others you had to mouseclick-.-)
But while we're at it, anyone wanna recommend a simple dowloadable timer that works well? :)

I began learning more advanced F2L stuff from CBC's tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOHCpTuiNDg
This series was made while he was averaging somewhere above 20 seconds. His videos on Beginner will likely be stuff you already know... and Advanced F2L really helped me out when I was first starting with CFOP.

Thanks, i am deffo gonna check it out. i have plenty of time at work, so i would watch anytyhing that will help me improve :)

You should be proud!

Trust me i am! :D
btw how fast does one usually progress at my level?
I would like to set a goal of a certain amout of seconds i wanna cut my times every month or so,
but i don' know what is realistic. Dont wanna be dissapointed lar :p

Last edited:

NooberCuber

Nice job! just keep doing solves
maybe just solve w/o the timer and take time to recognize F2l cases
I did that and it helps a lot

Machine

YouTube
Visit Channel
maybe just solve w/o the timer and take time to recognize F2l cases

That's what i do for the most part. I only time myself once in a while to see if i actually improve.
But most of the time i just solve it over and over again, mostly at work, where i can't even time myself realy :p

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is it just me or does EVERYONE use cubetimer when they are starting out haha! I did ^.^
I know I did too. I remember my first ever timed my solve (and my second ever solve if you include the one month solve before that trying to solve one) being 1:15.xy.
I think badmephisto suggested it in his speedcubing intro vid, so I did too.
I've never watched badmephisto's vids, I just found it after googling "cube timer" :p

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I think badmephisto suggested it in his speedcubing intro vid, so I did too.

ditto
and ditto

OP: Great job! It may not seem fast to some people, but everyone starts somewhere and sub-1 is often one of the first achievements. Keep practicing!

Last edited:

Machine

YouTube
Visit Channel
LOL.

It's been 4 days since i posted this, and since that i have learned most of the 4LLL algorythms, and improved my F2L speed..
and quess what ?

i got a 29 second solve today, i can't freakin' believe it! :D
Best of all, i was filming all of my solves so i actually have it recorded :)
was a somehow easy scrumble, but it was generated by the program, so i quess it counts :p

Let me know if anyone wants to see it, then i can upload it :)

(I know most of you are much better and you probAbaly don't care much, but i am realy happy and just had to share it :D )

WhatIsRubiks

I like to see videos like this. It has been about a 5 weeks since I picked up a cube. I started averaging about 6 minutes with basic method. I went down to about a minute 10 seconds. I now do intuitive F2L which is easy for me. I started to learn 2 look OLL and 2 look PLL. I haven't gotten all the algorithms down yet, but I average around 1.14. I have a disability in my short term AND long term memory, so for me it's pretty huge. I like to see that I am not alone in the "slower" times in solving. Even if the person doing them only stay there for a short period of time. Everyone has to start somewhere, right?.