• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

my first DIY, a few questions

Absolome

OK so i got my new type d, it remains un-lubed but ive been trying to break it in, here are a few questions

-Is it supposed to make that springy, creaking ssound when I turn it?

-Will it e too fast for a beginner after I lube it

-I hear a lot of people are using storebught edges, I have a white cube can I use black SB edges?

Vulosity

YouTube
vulosityhd
-Yes, if it is tight and un-lubed.
-No, mine is at the tightest tension, lubed and controllable.
-Of course, you can always hybrid your cube.

Kieran

YouTube
KristinKieran
Spring, creaking sound? Doesn't sound too good, could possibly mean that it is too tight (tension is too tight so it is rubbing together) and to fix that you could pop the centre caps off and untighten it. Possibly. Define begginner? Loose term, but if you mean not sub-1, then could possibly be a problem, depending on your cube control. I can average around 1 minute at the moment (pretty bad) and my store-bought cube is lubed and it doesn't go too fast for me, but I have been cubing for a while..

Hope I could help.

Absolome

anything you wished you knew your first time?

blgentry

Regarding tightening the cube: I followed the advice given by "PestVic" on youtube, tightening my cube until I couldn't get it to pop at all, even when deliberately misaligning the faces and twisting pretty hard.

After lubrication, it moved pretty well: Much better than my storebought. I gradually loosened it here and there, but it never seemed to really "flow" except right after a fresh application of lube. So one day I said "screw it", and loosened it WAY back. Now it "flows" much better. All faces can easily be moved with one finger and it feels much better to me when doing solves.

Yes, I get pops now and then. Yes it sucks. But I think it's a great compromise because of how well the cube performs.

Now I have a type A, so the plastic is different, and the type D is more slick, so you're probably going to find some differences from my cube, but I'd still recommend setting the tension more on the loose side than the tight side. Just my opinion from my experience. YMMV.

Brian.