• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

My cubing anniversary of sorts

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Today is a somewhat special cubing anniversary for me. As of today, I have now been a speedcuber for half my life.

When I was younger I would sometimes wonder what I would be doing in double my life span. So when I was 9 for example, I would wonder what my life would be like at 18. When I was 10 I would wonder what life would be like at 20.

Right around the time I first started cubing I realized that this was a hobby I cared a lot about. I wondered then what life would be like at double my life span and whether I would still be cubing or not. I started cubing June 10th 1998 when I was 14 years old, and today is double my life span from that day. I am happy to say that I still enjoy cubing just as much now as I did then :)

It's crazy to me how such a small puzzle can make such a big difference in your life. I have made so many new friends because of cubing. I have traveled the world because of cubing, going to places internationally that I never would have imagined I would see. I've won, and lost, in the final round of a big event and felt the feelings of triumph and of failure and subsequent motivation to improve that these bring. This hobby has been such a large part of my life for so long and I wanted to celebrate this moment by posting about it on the forum here.

To those who are just starting out as cubers, I hope you find the enjoyment you're looking for whether you cube for just a year or two, a few years, or for many years. I wonder now if I'll still be a cuber when I'm 58 ;)

Chris

CarlBrannen

WCA
2013BRAN01
Math problem: I learned to solve a cube at about 1/3 of my life, but I didn't speed cube until another 35 years went by. And now I've been speed cubing for about 1%
of my life.

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for the read. You also made me aware that I've been cubing for 8/24 years, a third of my life. However, this doesn't appear to inspire me with awe as much as it appears to have done for you.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Coolio. I'll be almost 32 in another of my lifetime :eek:

It's fun to think about what you'll be doing in another of your lifetime. This only works up to halfway through your lifetime of course, but it's weird that you'll never know when that is.

28*2 =/= 58 though.

I was born in December of 1983 and I started cubing in June of 1998. This puts me at just a bit over 14 and a half when I stated cubing. Doubling that makes me 29, which is my age now. Double my age now puts me just a bit past my 58th birthday.

Thanks for the read. You also made me aware that I've been cubing for 8/24 years, a third of my life. However, this doesn't appear to inspire me with awe as much as it appears to have done for you.

I think it's cool that you've been cubing for a very significant portion of your life! I think the amazement for me is that I have now been a speedcuber/cuber for the majority of my life. I couldn't say that before.

Last edited:

Xenon

Haha, I've been cubing for about 2 weeks, yet I still can't solve a 2x2x2 without a tutorial :p

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Math problem: I learned to solve a cube at about 1/3 of my life, but I didn't speed cube until another 35 years went by. And now I've been speed cubing for about 1%
of my life.

I didn't respond to this before, but this was a fun problem!

Of course there is some error as I doubt exactly 35 years went by from when you learned to cube until you became a speedcuber, and I assumed that exactly 1/3 of your life had elapsed by the time you learned to cube, which is likely not true. With those assumptions I got that you are a little over 53 years old now, give or take.