• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Multiblindfold Discussion (PBs, Successes, Fails)

kubesolver

Premium Member
I think I really start liking MBLD :)

I felt that I have capacity and went for 6 cubes.
First attempt was 3/6 in 40 minutes.
Failed cubes where off by 1 edge flipped, 1 edge flipped and 1 edge 3-cycle resp.

Second attempt was 6/6 in 45 minutes. Yay! And I still remember all cubes from yesterday so I feel I might try more next time but I'm running out of good cubes :/

A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11
I think I really start liking MBLD :)

I felt that I have capacity and went for 6 cubes.
First attempt was 3/6 in 40 minutes.
Failed cubes where off by 1 edge flipped, 1 edge flipped and 1 edge 3-cycle resp.

Second attempt was 6/6 in 45 minutes. Yay! And I still remember all cubes from yesterday so I feel I might try more next time but I'm running out of good cubes :/
That makes me think of something. Is it WCA legal to have different cubes in MBLD, like you could have a Valk, 2 Qiyi Ms's, and a MFJSRS3M2020?

A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11
Yes, all cubes just have to be legal independently.
Could it not make it easier to know which cube you're doing? I would think that would make memo and execution easier because you'd associate that cube with a certain memo. Sure I guess you'd already know which is which but it's kind of like the logo thing where you'd think it's fine, but it's still outlawed because it might give an "unfair advantage".

kubesolver

Premium Member

yay! I have reached my limit of MBLD in 60 minutes with a 8/8!
I think it was my 10th attempt of 8 cubes and I got 7/8 twice before that.

Memo took 45+ minutes. I don't see an easy way to improve that part by a lot so I guess 8/8 will be my PB for a very long time.[/B][/B]

Dylan Swarts

WCA
2017SWAR03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey there!
I've been practicing some multi the past while, quite differently than I have in the past, since I now have something specific I am aiming at in terms of memo and exec splits per cube. I worked on a faster first pass and things like that. It's too much for me to want to elaborate on anyway. But I did some reworking and quitting bad habits. I was making some progress, but my memo/cube was still not really going down..
Last week I caught a Michael Tripodi multi stream, and saw how he was memorizing and then reviewing every 4 cubes, instead of like Graham, and myself, doing 1-8, 1-8 for the first 2 passes. I've seen this done before and have thought of trying it myself, but never REALLY wanted to go for it, because it felt like that would just be worse. But seeing as I knew I needed to do a faster first pass, I decided to give it a go, hoping that I can go over those 4 cubes at a faster pace than 1-8. Did about two 8 cube attempts with it, then a 16 cube attempt, and then a 24 cube attempt. Saw the biggest effect in the 16 and 24 cube attempt. Now, to explain how much that changed things, here is my old review system vs my new one:
Old system: Let's take a 24 cube multi as an example. I would always do the first 2 passes of a new block the same way, so I'd go 1-8Memo, 1-8Review, then next block 9-16M, 9-16R. Now the first 2 blocks are my long term in this particular multi size, so I would 1-16R here. Now 17-24M, 17-24R, then exec block 3, exec block 1 and 2 (blocks are 8 cubes)
New system: Still using blocks of 8, just memorize and review 4 at a time. 1-4M, 1-4R, 5-8M, 5-8R, 1-8R. I would always memorize a new block like this, notice how this is 1 more review than how I would always memorize with 1-8 system. Same goes for block 2, 9-12MR, 13-16MR, 9-16R. These are still long term blocks, so 1-16R. So in total my long term packs were passed 4 times, opposed to old system where I 3 passed them. I go onto 17-20MR, 21-24MR, 17-24R. Exec block 3, exec block 1 and 2.
In total I passed each cube once more in the new system vs the old one, but the total memo period is still faster. I found this quite interesting. It shows I still held back somehow, on the old system. Either way I'm faster now, and hopefully I can keep pushing it down with this system.

Important to note: I do think the amount of time between the first time you memorize a cube and the 2nd time you pass it, is very important to keep under a certain length of time. Mostly applies to when you wanna go really fast on the first pass, because you start forgetting stuff faster. I think the time on 1-8 for me was too long. So when I can first pass 1-8 much faster then I will go back to it.

Anyway, after the 24 cube attempt, the following day actually, I decided to just go for 36, as a benchmark to see if this 4 cube thing is working or not. Take note that my most recent 33 and 36 cube attempts before the new system have been in the range of 1:01-1:03 and 1:06-1:12 respectively.
So I did this 36 cube attempt with the new system and got 31/36 in 59:36[40:54]. Firstly the accuracy on this is crazy to me, I haven't cared about accuracy and it's not been very great, about 75% accuracy or so. Secondly, this is my fastest 36 cube attempt by over 7 minutes! Which is a very very big drop at this level. Focus was beyond average, really happy. The only real slow cubes were actually 33-36, but that's fine.
Memo/cube: 68s
Exec/cube: 31s
(https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WXW8OOkaEMp0RFvR4xXw4w3ibJHhVwPBNf3vKmpMpsc/edit?usp=sharing) for reference to the prior attempts and their splits.
It's really good progress. I'm extremely happy. It's also PB2, tied in points with former PB2 of 29/33 in 59:58 from a year ago (very fast, couldn't replicate that speed after it until now)

I'm excited to keep up the grind, see if I can get down to sub 60 memo/cube soon, it's been the goal since I picked up multi again in ~March. If I can get exec to sub 30 as well, then 40 cubes is possible. Goal for end of this year is 42 cubes sub hour.

Happy cubing, stay safe.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Amazing effort from Rowe:

His vision on how to push and enjoy MBLD is pretty neat. Getting good accuracy is super frustrating and adding up more cubes is always good motivator.

" Not the greatest accuracy of course, but anything near 10 DNFs at this amount and speed is a victory for me, so I'll take it :). FINALLY sub50 per cube, been really trying to push through this barrier since I sub1'd 70 cubes earlier in the summer. It has been so challenging, but it feels good to improve steadily again. 72 now feels very similar to what 70 felt like 2 months ago, and the accuracy is pretty much identical as well, so I think my plan to just keep climbing up is paying off. I could continue to do 72 and get a more accurate result, but whenever I try to focus on accuracy I lose my confidence and it never happens. I'm actually gonna use this as an opportunity to explain my thought process behind that, rant incoming. The plan is, and will always be, to just keep adding cubes. I don't care about accuracy. I know that sounds dumb and is pretty much against what multibld is, but here's my thinking: After my 60/61 WB last year, I hit a massive wall. That was a flukey max out attempt that probably should have never happened, and it psyched me out because it was World Best at the time and only one point away from the 60 point barrier. That was literally maybe my 5th or 6th attempt at 60+ cubes or something. Looking back on that, what the **** happened?! The answer is simple actually: I was maxing out, and I didn't give a **** about the accuracy. That was the mindset for pretty much my whole journey, until the WB. Unfortunately, that was the turning point where my attention shifted towards the 60 pointer. Just like that, my improvement completely halted. I stayed around the 55-60 seconds per cube mark trying desperately to get a safety 60 pointer, but just couldn't. It was so depressing and frustrating, I had to take 1-2 month breaks at least 3 times because I got so sick of failing. Before I knew it, almost a full year went by. Eventually the 60/60 happened. Not even sure how it did, that attempt was so crazy, it could have just as easily been a 55/60 with all the mistakes I almost made. But yeah, once that was out of the way, I started working towards 70+. First 70 attempt was like 45/70 in 1:09 or something, so I had a lot of work to do. I kept slowly improving, I needed to go from 55-56 per cube down to roughly 51 to sub1, so it was obviously gonna be a struggle. But I realized around that time that I was actually enjoying the event again. Multibld was fun again, even though I was a DNFing machine half the time. But yeah anyway, the point is that I have a lot more fun when I don't focus on the point results. I just like adding more cubes, and feeling my memory and recall speeds improve. Even on an attempt with 11 DNFs like this one, I focus on how the attempt felt. I had 5 cubes where I forgot things, probably 3 things I misremembered and 3 where I messed up an alg or something. That might sound bad, but my memo was fast, the recall was strong, and my execution was I think the best ever on a 72 cube attempt. So, in my mind, mission accomplished, time to go to 75. And that's how I'm gonna be doing things. Of course I realize, this is not a practice routine that produces good point results. Honestly, my next upload will probably be 63/75 in 59:50 or some ****, and I will be extremely happy with it.. Not because its a 51 pointer, that doesn't sound that impressive. I'll be happy with it because I memo'd each cube in 30 seconds and solved them in 17.86 with 84% accuracy, and it felt better than the attempt before it. And then after that, I'll probably move up to 77, and try to sub1 that, and so on. But then the question is, how the hell am I gonna go to a comp and do an actual attempt? That's the exciting part, because who actually knows what my safeties will be. I sure won't know because I never do them lol. One thing is for sure, I'll be able to safety more than I can now, and that's the whole point. I'm just gonna worry about the accuracy when it matters, it seems like the fastest, easiest, and most rewarding way to practice this event. "

5/8 in 11:10.39=7:03.91+4:06.48. My tracing in this attempt went insane, I break my wall of sub1 memo in the block with 8 cubes.

But I don't think I can repeat this so soon because the scrambles were pretty good, with few cycle breaks(my nightmare in MBLD). This still shows me that 32 cubes sub hour is possible, and is just a matter of time(and practice).

Btw the Dnf's was single images that I forgot.

Dylan Swarts

WCA
2017SWAR03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've made some progress!
40 cubes subhour, in 58:02[39:43] (24 solved haha)

I'm very happy to see my improvement did not halt after those 36 cube attempts, and wow is this a massive improvement! I do believe there was some luck in this, I had been focused VERY well during the entire attempt, which doesn't often happen to this degree. Things can easily go wrong and ruin the next 5+ minutes of the attempt sometimes. For example, the attempt just 30 ish hours before this was 28/40 in 1:11:18, which is really slow. First 40 cube attempt was 1:03, so that 1:11 was a bit disappointing and mostly due to just bad focus and being tired (had gotten out of bed 30 mins prior to that attempt, was still exhausted). So I'm quite pleased that my focus was drastically better the next day.

Accuracy could have been a lot better, and I'm not placing the full blame on memo speed, I'd say it's partially that (had forgotten probably 4-6 cubes, usually a letterpair or two) but also a lot of stupid execution mistakes that I just haven't gotten around to analyzing and fixing. I don't think it's important, as I don't have comps any time soon and as such have no reason to have very good accuracy yet.

Average memo/cube was 59.58s (PB)
Average exec/cube was 27.47s (PB2, .42 off from pb, on the 1:03 40 cuber)

Closest I've come to sub 1 memo/cube was 62s on 30 cubes and 67s on 36 cubes, all within the past 5 weeks. That's insane improvement for this attempt. On 40 cubes my previous best memo was 68/cube.

I don't think I can improve on this by just making timesaves, there aren't really any obvious ones. I just need to be faster now. So my plan is to practice a lot of smaller attempts that I can grind out to get my first pass faster and just overall more comfortable with the pace. I think I can realistically reach 45 cubes sub hour by the end of this year if I don't hit some barrier or burn out. But the goal is now 48 cubes sub hour by the end of the year.

I think setting up my 25 YLMs made a bit of a difference in my exec, really nice tbh. Haven't got around to setting up my MF3RS's yet but will have to. It took about 8 hours or more to do the 25 YLMs so I'm not super eager.
My 40 Cube Attempt, timelapsed, no music.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay my MBLD targets. I previously had 120 3x3s, but then I shifted home and just brought 20 3x3s with me 6 months. So I will try to do a shorter attempt and aim for 20 cubes sub-30 minutes. Any tips on trying to get sub-30 with 20 cubes?

I am comfortable using letter quads as memo, it does have a speed-up but will have a significant speed-up once my fluidity with it increases. I wanted to know what should my review and revision strategy be?