• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

modern clacky cubes

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a broken in (almost unlubed) zhanchi and what is very distinguishing about the turning is the loud clacky sound that many older cubes have. I wonder if there are any modern cubes that are similarly loud and auditory, which modern cubers probably don't enjoy (I can appreciate as much a soft buttery or silky smooth cube)

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
other than Rubiks brand my Moyu Weilong GTS3 M V3 magnetic is the loudest 'clackiest' cube I own.

It's not so loud that it's very annoying, but I definitely notice going from a Gan or quiet cube that it's a lot louder when I start using it.

Hope that helps.

edit: you can hear it clacking pretty well in this review video...

I've tried my friend's GTS3M and it's not particularly loud

SenorJuan

Have you modified your Zhanchi ? Many of the commonly-done mods would help quieten it down. There's some mods that round off sharp edges, giving smoother transitions from one cubie to another as it's turned. And though it has modest corner-cutting, the cubies are a bit 'square' , which makes them noisy when asked to do reverse cuts. Mods to edge pieces to round-off the profile also quieten reverse cuts.
I don't know if this would help make a more modern cube noisier, though, if that's your desire.... tricky to add material, easy to remove it.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Have you modified your Zhanchi ? Many of the commonly-done mods would help quieten it down. There's some mods that round off sharp edges, giving smoother transitions from one cubie to another as it's turned. And though it has modest corner-cutting, the cubies are a bit 'square' , which makes them noisy when asked to do reverse cuts. Mods to edge pieces to round-off the profile also quieten reverse cuts.
I don't know if this would help make a more modern cube noisier, though, if that's your desire.... tricky to add material, easy to remove it.

I think the unique clacky sound of this particular cube came from the fact that it has almost zero lube in it but the plastic has been worn down to the point where it's like polished smooth.

Pyjam

Premium Member
I have an old Zhanchi (also very clacky) and I never need to lube it. The pieces are so smooth that you would think they were covered with lacquer. Honestly, this cube is barely controllable because the pieces slide so well against each other.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I have an old Zhanchi (also very clacky) and I never need to lube it. The pieces are so smooth that you would think they were covered with lacquer. Honestly, this cube is barely controllable because the pieces slide so well against each other.
I think it had a small amount of factory lube and has been broken in a lot, because truly dry cubes (like the ones from DIY kits) are very scratchy and don't turn smoothly.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
From what I remember, the MoYu Tanglong is a rather clacky/blocky cube. It's not exactly modern, but it is 2015-2016 era, so it still should be quite good. I gave one to a friend for Christmas back 3-4 years ago and used it a fair bit so I know what it was like, but I don't have one with me right now to re-verify.
The cubicle has it unstickered in white and primary, I couldn't find a result on speedcubeshop, and cubedepot still has it in pink, grey, brown, and white.

E: DGCubes has a review from when he was maybe 8 and you can hear what the cube sounds like:
There are a lot of reviews that say the cube is super smooth. I think its smooth for individual turns; so for something like U4 it turns well, but when you try to corner cut, you can really feel how blocky it is.

Last edited:

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
From what I remember, the MoYu Tanglong is a rather clacky/blocky cube. It's not exactly modern, but it is 2015-2016 era, so it still should be quite good. I gave one to a friend for Christmas back 3-4 years ago and used it a fair bit so I know what it was like, but I don't have one with me right now to re-verify.
The cubicle has it unstickered in white and primary, I couldn't find a result on speedcubeshop, and cubedepot still has it in pink, grey, brown, and white.

E: DGCubes has a review from when he was maybe 8 and you can hear what the cube sounds like:
There are a lot of reviews that say the cube is super smooth. I think its smooth for individual turns; so for something like U4 it turns well, but when you try to corner cut, you can really feel how blocky it is.
I have a TangLong that is probably the most flexible/ smooth/ quiet cube I have. It probably varies from cube to cube. Mine is brown plastic, so that may make a difference.

I never had one, but I recall seeing reviews of the Mojue M3 that mentioned it was exceptionally loud.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a TangLong that is probably the most flexible/ smooth/ quiet cube I have. It probably varies from cube to cube. Mine is brown plastic, so that may make a difference.

I never had one, but I recall seeing reviews of the Mojue M3 that mentioned it was exceptionally loud.
oh yeah I saw the tangpo (2x2) for sale in brown plastic on ziicube and the collector in me was tempted to get it just for how unusual brown plastic puzzles are (I think most people would agree it's a pretty ugly color for twisty puzzles)

I might pickup the tanglong sometime but it's very low priority. It still seems to be in stock in a bunch of sites.