• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

MJbaka's Progression Thread

MJbaka

Well I figured I'd make a progression thread after being after seeing everyone with one. I average 12-13 CFOP although I do get an 11 about a fourth of the time. My short term goals for CFOP are to finish Full OLL (I only have six algorithms left), start learning ZBLL-T, become fluent with Pseudo-F2L, and become fully CN, I currently can solve on white and yellow and am close to doing blue fluently. I am sub 26 OH, sub 9 pyraminx, sub 5 2 by 2, and I don't really practice other events. I'll keep you updated on my progression whenever something noteworthy happens, so yeah

MJbaka

Ayyyy I got a new PB ao5 of 12.13 today. And a 12.7 ao12, but I don't think that is PB. The times in the ao5 were 11.30, 12.50, 12.00, 14.66, 11.90. Honestly my PB average of 5 should be way better, seeing as I now get an eleven about a third/fourth of the time, but every time I pull off three good solves I bomb the next two.

MJbaka

I've been working on my PLLs lately, and currently have a 1.02 PLL mean. This can easily be dropped down to .9x once I fix my Nb Perm and Gb, which are both about 1.4x. The rest of my PLLs are sub 1.3. Yesterday I got a 1.00 Framecounted V perm, which I was really excited. Ever since switching to RUD V perm my V perms have been way better.

MJbaka

I got a 0.96 Nb Perm after learning a new algorithm and also improved some other PLLs, so now I have a 0.96 PLL average. The only problem is, practicing my PLLs has got me into a habit of turning faster, and my look ahead now cannot keep up with my TPS, and my times are starting to drop

MJbaka

So I came back from my competition and I did not do as good as I wanted to. I would rather not share my results here, because I am to ashamed of how far it is below my normal average. However, while I was there, I was racing somebody and got an 8.79 PB Single! And right after that, on my next solve, I got a 9.98 single. After that, my next two solves were really bad because I was pretty nervous after getting two in a row sub 10 so I got a 14.01 and DNF. But then I got a 10.6 for my final solve and got an 11.53 ao5!

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
So I came back from my competition and I did not do as good as I wanted to. I would rather not share my results here, because I am to ashamed of how far it is below my normal average. However, while I was there, I was racing somebody and got an 8.79 PB Single! And right after that, on my next solve, I got a 9.98 single. After that, my next two solves were really bad because I was pretty nervous after getting two in a row sub 10 so I got a 14.01 and DNF. But then I got a 10.6 for my final solve and got an 11.53 ao5!
I did worse than average at my only competition too, so no worries.
GG on the pb!

MJbaka

I've decided to learn a new method for OH solving, seeing as CFOP requires a lot of regrips and a higher movecount, which is not as good for OH solving. So today, I start my quest to learn Mehta One-Handed, so best of luck for me!

MJbaka

Oh I should also mention I'm starting with CDRLL path as I think it is a better transition to my ultimate goal, full Mehta-TDR

zzoomer

YouTube
Visit Channel
I've decided to learn a new method for OH solving, seeing as CFOP requires a lot of regrips and a higher movecount, which is not as good for OH solving. So today, I start my quest to learn Mehta One-Handed, so best of luck for me!
If you're going to learn a separate method for OH, you might as well use the best OH method, Roux. Or you can use ZZ if you don't want to cheat by abusing the table

MJbaka

If you're going to learn a separate method for OH, you might as well use the best OH method, Roux. Or you can use ZZ if you don't want to cheat by abusing the table
I don't like the intuitiveness of Roux and I don't like using MU moves OH, which Roux uses. And YRUru is better than Roux for OH anyway. But I just want to see how far I can go with Mehta on OH, and my goal is sub-15 OH

zzoomer

YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't like the intuitiveness of Roux and I don't like using MU moves OH, which Roux uses.
Understandable.
And YRUru is better than Roux for OH anyway.
I disagree. YruRU a good OH method, but is a bit worse than Roux
But I just want to see how far I can go with Mehta on OH, and my goal is sub-15 OH
Mehta isn't great for OH.

I would suggest either ZZ or YruRU

MJbaka

No point in learning a brand new method for OH, I doubt any of them will take you much further than CFOP. I would say either optimize it or learn ZZ, since it is quite similar to CFOP.
Umm... Actually learning a better methods for OH is worth it. Luke Garrett's dad told me this at the Wyoming competition and gave the example of Carter Kucala, who uses CFOP two handed, and a different method one handed is nearly world class one handed with this method

zzoomer

YouTube
Visit Channel
Umm... Actually learning a better methods for OH is worth it. Luke Garrett's dad told me this at the Wyoming competition and gave the example of Carter Kucala, who uses CFOP two handed, and a different method one handed is nearly world class one handed with this method
Mehta isn't any better than CFOP for OH. In fact, it might be worse. Don't waste your time with it.

MJbaka

Mehta isn't any better than CFOP for OH. In fact, it might be worse. Don't waste your time with it.
It might not be good for you, but I see plenty of potential in it. What makes you think it is so bad?

MJbaka

Mehta has a 45-50 movecount, which is way better than the movecount of CFOP, and Mehta is rotationless, which will help avoid table abuse and save a ton of time