• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Mixed blocks in Roux

Foxed

Hey Yall, I've encountered this scenario many times in my cubing career and wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this approach.

Typically in roux we start block building on our non dominant hand, in most cases on the left face. However, i find maybe 2/5 of my solves ill start encountering second block pairs while working my first block.

Is it common to sort of build blocks in tandem? We always consider first block step 1 and second block step 2, but i often find these 2 "steps" sort of merging. Is this the case with anyone else? Or am i better off ignoring any second block pairs i find in first block?

Kaneki Uchiha

Hey Yall, I've encountered this scenario many times in my cubing career and wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this approach.

Typically in roux we start block building on our non dominant hand, in most cases on the left face. However, i find maybe 2/5 of my solves ill start encountering second block pairs while working my first block.

Is it common to sort of build blocks in tandem? We always consider first block step 1 and second block step 2, but i often find these 2 "steps" sort of merging. Is this the case with anyone else? Or am i better off ignoring any second block pairs i find in first block?
this is called non linear blockbuilding and when used well can be better sometimes.
this is a wiki extract
Free/non-linear blocks: The first block and second block do not need to be built in that order. You can build part of one and finish the other later. This is very useful when there are a lot of free, pre-built blocks and pairs.

Foxed

this is called non linear blockbuilding and when used well can be better sometimes.
this is a wiki extract
Free/non-linear blocks: The first block and second block do not need to be built in that order. You can build part of one and finish the other later. This is very useful when there are a lot of free, pre-built blocks and pairs.
Whats your take on mismatched block building? Like say first block is red bottom and second block orange bottom? The cmll is much harder to recognize, but i imagine this can be taken advantage of as well if the initial scramble support it. Do you know of anyone who has recognition for mismatched blocks? I've never actually seen anyone talk about it or use it in a solve. My guess is that if cfoper and zzers can have huge recognition sets, that mismatched blocks, once trained, could save lots of time in certain instances. Id say 50/50 my second block could be done much faster if i mismatched it with the first block.

Does anyone know of any rouxer proficient with non-linear and mismatched block building?

Kaneki Uchiha

Whats your take on mismatched block building? Like say first block is red bottom and second block orange bottom? The cmll is much harder to recognize, but i imagine this can be taken advantage of as well if the initial scramble support it. Do you know of anyone who has recognition for mismatched blocks? I've never actually seen anyone talk about it or use it in a solve. My guess is that if cfoper and zzers can have huge recognition sets, that mismatched blocks, once trained, could save lots of time in certain instances. Id say 50/50 my second block could be done much faster if i mismatched it with the first block.

Does anyone know of any rouxer proficient with non-linear and mismatched block building?
Zhouhenh sun is blue green x2y cn
But full cn isn't worth it that would be 24 blocks to choose from. Most rouxers prefer x2y which is yellow or white bottom and all th y colours like green blue red ang orange

But full cn isn't worth it that would be 24 blocks to choose from. Most rouxers prefer x2y which is yellow or white bottom and all th y colours like green blue red ang orange
CN is irrelevant on what he's talking about. Non matching blocks is pretty fast and Athefre has an NMCMLL recognition guide to help with recog.
Here's the doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BUt299RvoSDdtUEEMnGALo7jVqHnuhZS64-KZZ6TEKI/edit?usp=sharing
Zhouheng Sun* ;)