• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Micah Morrison's Progress Thread [Finished 3-Style + Sub 1 3BLD Success!]

Color Neutral Gang?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I thought I'd update this thread and let you know how my progress is going. I'm done with red cross, and I'm working on orange cross right now. I've done around 450 and it seems to be steadily improving, unlike my red cross which at first seemed like either I had a good day ad averaged low 9 or I had a bad day ad averaged above 10.

Phyun

Im becoming color neutral right now as well, and i can say that the good day/ bad day thing is real with some colors. personally i average just under 20 sec with all colors at the moment, but i noticed that with specifically orange and yellow i can be averaging 17 with them one day, then the next ill be averaging 21 or so. The best thing i find with improving this is to do an average of 12 on the color turning really slow and focusing on fluidity before starting solving properly.

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yesterday I had a slow start for orange cross: my averages were around high 9 to low 10, but then I slowed down my turning, got some good solves, and went on a roll and broke almost all my pb's. I broke my PB single with a 6.319, my PB ao5 with an avg of 8.157, my PB ao12 with an avg of 8.570, my PB ao25 with an avg of 8.965 (also my current ao25), and my PB ao50 with an avg of 9.315 (also my current ao50).

brododragon

Yesterday I had a slow start for orange cross: my averages were around high 9 to low 10, but then I slowed down my turning, got some good solves, and went on a roll and broke almost all my pb's. I broke my PB single with a 6.319, my PB ao5 with an avg of 8.157, my PB ao12 with an avg of 8.570, my PB ao25 with an avg of 8.965 (also my current ao25), and my PB ao50 with an avg of 9.315 (also my current ao50).
Do you mean orange PB, or actual PB?

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm through 11 days of practicing orange cross now (sometimes I counted 2 days as 1 if I didn't do very many solves) and today was great! I got an orange cross PB ao25 of 8.890, orange cross PB ao50 of 9.003 (why?), an orange cross PB ao100 of 9.167, an orange cross PB ao200 of 9.266, an orange cross PB ao500 of 9.441, and an orange cross PB ao1000 (also my only ao1000) of 9.676 (just shows how I've been improving.) Also, I got 20 sub 10's in a row today!

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
It's great that you are trying to be colour neutral but surely by practicing one other colour, you are not learning the colour neutral mentality of picking the easiest colour cross

It's not really that hard to pick an easy cross, what's hard is being able to do similar speed solves on each color

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
ok, I got a 9.04 ao100 with orange cross today so I'm going to say I'm done with orange cross (being ale to solve on 2 cross colors actually makes a difference) so I'm going to be polishing up my red and orange cross in the same session. The reason I'm doing red cross as well is because I've noticed that under pressure I tend to not want to do red cross. Also, if my red and orange cross are truly equal to my white and yellow, I would get the same averages because I'm using two colors.

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's great that you are trying to be colour neutral but surely by practicing one other colour, you are not learning the colour neutral mentality of picking the easiest colour cross
a while back my brother @Owen Morrison and I both did full CN solves to see if we were good at picking the best cross and we almost always picked the same cross so I'm not too worried about that. Also, if that does end up being a problem I can work on that after I become fully CN and I can work on that when practicing white, red, orange, and yellow cross as well.

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
a while back my brother @Owen Morrison and I both did full CN solves to see if we were good at picking the best cross and we almost always picked the same cross so I'm not too worried about that. Also, if that does end up being a problem I can work on that after I become fully CN and I can work on that when practicing white, red, orange, and yellow cross as well.
Oh yeah I remember that.

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
alright, today I'm starting on green cross, and, since it's the first day of summer, I decided I would do 600 solves today like Seung-Hyuk-Nahm on green cross only today and see how much I progress thoughout the day. After 350 solves, I started out averaging low to mid 11's and now I just got a sub 10 ao50!

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, the day is over, and I've done my 600 solves. It was cool to see how I progressed throughout the day, especially in the middle, but in the end, I started getting tired so my times were slightly worse than the previous 150 solves. I probably won't do this again but it was a fun (and exhausting) experience, and doing 600 solves took up at least half of my day.

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I thought I'd update since I haven't posted in almost 2 weeks. I have not given up. I'm still grinding on green cross. It's improving, but, similar to my progress on red cross, my times are largely dependent on whether it's a good day or bad day. I'll hopefully finish up in 4 or 5 days and start on my final cross color: blue.

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
ok, since it seems like everyone else is doing this, I'm going to change this into just a personal progress thread. Lately I've been working on finishing up CN with blue cross, my final cross color, as well as mega, squan, and just the centers on 7x7, since that's what needs the most work

currently averaging around 9.7
Goal: Sub 9.2 hopefully in 4 days
Day 1:
solves: 152 avg: 9.613
Day 2:
solves: 114 avg: 9.454 Also got an 8.955 ao25!
Currently averaging around 1:07
Goal: Sub 55 by the end of the summer
Day 1:
solves: 25 avg: 1:06.937
Day 2:
solves: 15 avg: 1:07.883
Currently averaging around 18
Goal: Sub 13 by the end of the summer
Day 1:
solves: 79 avg: 18.903
still fixing some bad habits so I'm a bit slower than I used to be.
I learned all the star CSP's and CSP's for:
Square/Square
Shield/square
Mushroom/square
Scallop/Square
Right Pawn/Square
Left Pawn/Square
Day 2:
no solves today, I just finished the square CSP cases
Currently averaging 1:45-1:50 on just the centers
Goal: Sub 1:35 in the next 2 weeks
Day 1: