• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Micah Morrison's Progress Thread [Finished 3-Style + Sub 1 3BLD Success!]

Color Neutral Gang?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is my progress thread to become a decent all-rounder (and be good at NxNs). My goals and current averages are below. If I average this globally I should have a decent chance of podiuming in every event when official comps start back up.

2x2: Learn full CLL and EG-1, sub 3 global, current avg: high 3
3x3: Sub 8 global, (or at least very low 8) current avg: 8.4-8.5
4x4: Sub 30 global, current avg: 31.5-32
5x5: Sub 1:00 global, current avg: 1:03
6x6: Sub 1:55 global, current avg: 2:03
7x7: Sub 3:00 global, current avg: 3:15 (gonna practice this one a lot when I get the MGC7)
Squan: Sub 12 global, finish full CSP and be able consistently trace in under 15 seconds, current avg: 13.5 with 70/90 CSPs, takes me about 18 seconds to trace
Mega: Sub 55 global, current avg: 1:01
Clock: Sub 8 global, current avg: 12
OH: Sub 16 global at least, learn good OH pll and oll algs, current avg: 17.5-18
3BLD: Sub 1:20 global and be able to expect myself to get at least one success in comps, current avg: sub 1:40 if I don't mistrace
Pyra and Skewb: I don't like these events too much, so I don't want to put a lot of effort into them, but I think sub 5 on each should be relatively easy (also that podiums at official comps because the southeast is bad at side events lol)
4BLD: Sub 7:00 Success, current avg: Sub 15:00 if the memo isn't too hard, still don't have a success though:(
5BLD: Sub 30:00 Success, current avg: only have done 1 attempt which was a massive fail lol but it took around 45 minutes
MBLD: Be able to do 10 cubes without too much difficulty and get a minimum of 7 solved, current PB: 3/5 in approx. 41 minutes
FMC: Learn intermediate techniques like NISS and insertions and be consistently sub 35 moves, current avg: 35-40
Clock: Sub 8 global
I will be updating my progress towards becoming a decent all-rounder below each week (I'm starting over at week 1 because I've changed to wanting to become an all-rounder rather than good at some events like nxns.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-01 at 15.08.40.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-01 at 15.08.40.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 264
  • Screenshot 2020-07-06 at 12.16.45.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-06 at 12.16.45.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 234
  • Screenshot 2020-07-12 at 11.08.52.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-12 at 11.08.52.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, after three days my green and blue cross has seen improvement. The most recent ao50 I did was super inconsistent though. The average was 10.667 but it felt like I would always either get 9's (occasionally 8's) or 11's or worse. My red/orange cross hasn't seen much improvement over the past three days. I'm hoping that will change soon. I also hope I can get both averages under 9 seconds in the next 30 days.

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
since I didn;t have much to do today, I decided to get ahead a day since I'm doing Cubing at Home tomorrow. In my green/blue cross ao50 I decided to try slow turning, and, not only was it the best average I;ve done so far for green/blue cross, but it also felt much more consistent than previous averages. So I think for the net week or so I'll slow down my turning a little bit and focus on smoothness and lookahead rather than relying on TPS to get decent times.

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
just did a red/orange cross slow turning ao50. It was my best average so far by about 0.04, but also, there was one stretch of solves where it seemed like every solve I would do something stupid like insert an f2l pair in wrong orientation, or with a last layer corner, etc. And during that stretch of solves it seemed like every solve I locked up on the PLL. Then I got a few sub 8's and decided not to do it anymore. But this is motivating because I feel like if I do an ao50 without doing too many stupid things I can get much better times. For reference of the stretch of bad solves, my session mean was about 10.6 about 20 or 25 solves through the average and the ao50 was 9.936. Also, here's the time trendScreenshot 2020-04-11 at 12.44.43.png

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
ok, I think I've decided that I'm just going to stick with red/orange cross only until I get three consecutive sub 9 ao50's because I feel like switching between sets of colors isn't helping much. So I'll do 2 ao50's every day with red/orange cross and still count them as two separate "days". Then I'll come back and do green/blue cross.

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
ik this is my 4th post in a row on this thread, but I've decided to change my approach to becoming color neutral AGAIN. I'll be just doing one color at a time because I slowed down my turning a certain amount and my red cross lookahead could keep up but my orange cross lookahead usually couldn't. I'll basically be starting over on this quest but hopefully all the solves I did with green, orange, and blue cross will help me when I get to those colors.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
ik this is my 4th post in a row on this thread, but I've decided to change my approach to becoming color neutral AGAIN. I'll be just doing one color at a time because I slowed down my turning a certain amount and my red cross lookahead could keep up but my orange cross lookahead usually couldn't. I'll basically be starting over on this quest but hopefully all the solves I did with green, orange, and blue cross will help me when I get to those colors.
Well as the OP of this thread, you’re entitled to quadruple posting ;). They were also all pretty far apart.

ketchupcuber

If you've been following me for enough time, you've seen it before, I have attempted to become color neutral many times but have lost motivation on all of those times. But this time I will post progress on this thread each day I do an ao50. Since there's a quarantine, this is the perfect time to become full color neutral, and there are absolutely no excuses for me to stop trying. We all need to do it, and there won't be much better of a time to work on than now. My approach is that each day I will do an ao50 with red/orange cross and each day I will do an ao50 with green/blue cross (I'm already dual CN).The reason I'm not just mixing all four cross colors together in a single session is that I'm considerably faster with red and orange cross than with green and blue cross. Also, it helps me focus more on the color recognition for each set of opposite colors. My global average for 3x3 is 8.7 seconds, so that will be my goal for the colors I am working on adding. Ideally every day I'll do an ao50 with each set of colors but there will be some days where I won't have the time and there will be some days where I have extra time and might do an extra ao50, but for the sake of simplicity, each ao50 will be considered a day in my progress.

ao50: 9.771
ao50: 9.343 (-0.428)
ao50: 9.586 (+0.243)
I dont think you can say we all need to do it because the current world champion is not colour neutral. CN has pros and cons its not clear cut

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
At what spped should slow turning be on?
I personally, when doing slow turning solves, like to turn as fast as I can while still looking ahead, so, if I see my next pair while I'm solving a pair, I might speed up the turning a little bit, and if I don't see anything, I might slow down a bit. Also, when I get to the last slot, I just turn as fast as I can

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I dont think you can say we all need to do it because the current world champion is not colour neutral. CN has pros and cons its not clear cut
yeah but Feliks Zemdegs who is the world record holder for 3x3 average, and he has been holding 3x3 world records for a very long time is color neutral. Also, it seems like 90+% of the top level 3x3 solvers are color neutral. And, wafter becoming color neutral, you would get 3x as many lucky scrambles and 3x less unlucky scrambles compared to dual CN. Also, can you list any cons of becoming color neutral?

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
CN is great and all, but sometimes it can make deciding a cross color hard. If you are only white, you know which color to choose immediately.
to be honest that just sounds like a lazy excuse to not become color neutral that I used for way too long. I mean, how often do use ALL your inspection on white cross?

Last edited:

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
CN is great and all, but sometimes it can make deciding a cross color hard. If you are only white, you know which color to choose immediately.

That's only if you aren't CN. Once you are CN, it's easy to pick a cross quickly, plus inspection is easier because it's usually a good cross. Watch J Perm's vid on it

ketchupcuber

yeah but Feliks Zemdegs who is the world record holder for 3x3 average, and he has been holding 3x3 world records for a very long time is color neutral. Also, it seems like 90+% of the top level 3x3 solvers are color neutral. And, wafter becoming color neutral, you would get 3x as many lucky scrambles and 3x less unlucky scrambles compared to dual CN. Also, can you list any cons of becoming color neutral?
if you immediately no which cross colour to start on then you can plan more pairs in inspection also about 90% of top solvers are colour neutral this is completely false. Of the top 10 people at the most recent worlds last year 4/10 were not CN i think that looking at worlds is a better way at judging rankings than records because everyone gets the same scrambles so there is less luck