• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Memory and the Rubik's Cube - study - UK Open 2012 etc.

timelonade

WCA
2011MERC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi.

My name is Tim and as part of my university course I have to do a big essay. Currently as I am fascinated by memory I have chosen to do a memory test using abstract shapes on a bunch of university students, in first year, in Nottingham to see whether or not medical students remember things better than non-medical students. I thought it would be very interesting to do the same test on a bunch of cubers, not just those involved in blindfold events, to see if cubers remember better. I hypothesize that we do, because having to learn algorithms etc all requires learning, and learning to learn.

The academic overseeing my project thinks that the fact people can do a cube blindfolded is the best thing ever and would very much like me to include something in my dissertation/essay on how cubers remember. Unfortunately part of this test requires some 3D models so it can't just be done online (booooo).

I figured that I could bring the stuff to the UK Open in November and maybe some of you lovely people would be able to do it? It only takes 5 minutes plus maybe another 5/10 to fill out a form so I can also assess your learning style. You don't have to be a university student :).

I don't really know what the drill is for this kinda thing so I thought I'd ask and see. I know you guys are mostly quite friendly so I thought it might be okay :p.

If this doesn't belong here, please move it xD.

Thanks for reading!

timelonade

WCA
2011MERC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
HOW DARE YOU

ACTUALLY HOW DARE YOU

I hope you're just joking :'( <3

I am at nottingham university (not trent hehehehehe)
Thanks for replying.
My supervisor said that I could make a paper all on my own about cubey people instead of doing it as a combined part of this. So if anyone wants to co-author a paper........ ;).

MaeLSTRoM

WCA
2011WALL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I hope you're just joking :'( <3

I am at nottingham university (not trent hehehehehe)
Thanks for replying.
My supervisor said that I could make a paper all on my own about cubey people instead of doing it as a combined part of this. So if anyone wants to co-author a paper........ ;).

What. There's another one o_O. Me and Rob yau are there too (And a couple more iirc). We should do a meet.