• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Pattern thread

Does any one know algorithms for patterns on a megaminx, like flower or checkerboard

(dont tell me its in the wrong spot I know i didnt know where to put it)

mrCage

Does any one know algorithms for patterns on a megaminx, like flower or checkerboard

(dont tell me its in the wrong spot I know i didnt know where to put it)

HI,

I believe that noone cares much for making longish pattern algorithms on megaminx. Anything close to or over 100 turns becomes too cumbersome and tiring...

Per

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a perfect checkerboard pattern on the megaminx (using opposite colours for the pattern) is impossible.

This is correct. There are 30 edges, so that pattern would involve 15 2-cycles (because each edge is swapped with its opposite). This is a parity position and so you can't do it without disassembling the puzzle.

You can, however, do this:
Megaminx_checkerboard.png

(276 moves is not optimal of course)

It's possible on the 6-color megaminx.

Maybe, but a 6-color megaminx is arguably about as silly as a 3-color 3x3x3.

RainbowBoy

WCA
2010HUYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I want some nice pretty patterns on 3x3 and I already have
Cube in a Cube:
D2 F'D2 R2 FRF'RU2 L'BL D2 U2 F

Cross:
UFB'L2 U2 L2 F'B U2 L2 U

Anaconda:L U B'U'R L'B R'F B'DRD'F

Diagonals:
RLBFLRFBRLBF

Cube in a Cube in a cube:
F D F'D2 L'B'UL DRU L'F'ULU2

Random Square (I call it that):
R'L F2 R L'U2

Please post some others you would like to share...

mrCage

Jaap Scherphuis has an extensive list on his site. There are also many patterns threads in the twistypuzzles forum, for 3x3x3 and larger cubes also.

Sorry - im too lazy to track down the links right now:rolleyes:

Per

PS! Let me quickly add one of my personal favorites:

F' - D' - R F2 R' F U2 F' R F2 R' - L B2 L' B U2 B' L B2 L' - D - F' B2 (Tricolours - 23 PKF)

(Not optimal but the breakdown is quite nice!!)

Last edited:

Tyjet66

YouTube
Visit Channel
My friend stumbled across a pattern for the 3x3 today, I used an online solver to find a short algorithm to get this pattern but it keep giving me a 54 turn scramble for it:
F' D' F' U R D U2 R U2 R2 U' R' U R' D R F2 D2 F2 R D L2 U L2 U' D2 R2 B' F' D2 B F' R2 U2 R2 U2 R2 U B2 U2 R2 B2 D B2 U L2 D' L2 F2 L2 F2 U' R2 D2

Here is where I need help, can you help me find a shorter algorithm for this? I want to memorize this pattern but 54 turns is just ridiculous. Thanks in advance. :)

This is the site I used:
http://solvethecube.110mb.com/index.php?location=solver

EDIT: If this pattern hasn't been named, I'd like to call it "Smith's Pipes" for the one who found it.

Last edited:

kinch2002

Premium Member
WCA
2009SHEP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Use comms - it'll be 2 corner comms, a 2 corner flip and an edge comm (maybe 35-40 moves but very intuitive. Or do R L' U D' and move some edges around. Or use cube explorer (which will solve it in less than 20 but it will be a random jumble of moves to memo)

EVH

This should work.... D' F' R F R' U D2 B' R2 B' R2 U' B2 R2 B2 R2 D'

With orange on front and yellow on top.