• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Megaminx or 4x4?

Megaminx or 4x4

• Total voters
4x4. Mostly because megaminx's oddly looking dodecahedron shape, and it takes more time than doing 4x4.
Megaminx is really similar to 3x3, but 4x4 requires reducting the entire puzzle to a 3x3.

WCA
2016BAIR04
Both are good puzzles. Hardware for 4x4 is superior to megaminx hardware at this point, in my opinion. Part of that is due to more R&D put into 4x4, part due to the fact that a cube is a more convenient shape to work with (ergonomically and in terms of room for the interior mechanism) than a dodecahedron.

As far as the solve is concerned, a greater proportion of a megaminx solve is intuitive, vs more algorithms for the 4x4 (although there is a lot of intuitive work on the 4x4 too). The slope of the line of the middle 90% of cubers best averages is steeper for megaminx than for any other speedsolve event (the line is flattest for clock). In other words, there is a greater difference in skill between the best and the worst megaminxers than between the best and the worst for any other event. Last I looked at the numbers clock and megaminx were the only ones with notably different slopes than the others. Personally I've also noticed that I improve significantly with practice in any event, but improvement in megaminx seems to be a much smoother line, vs. step-wise for other events.

TL;DR: they're both good, I don't know which I would pick if I had to pick one, but megaminx is kind of special, I'd probably lean that way.

I really love the megaminx (which is probably apparent from my username) as it requires a lot of creativity to come up with interesting and efficient solutions! Because of this there can be many different ways to get from Point A to B, and I enjoy figuring out these solutions and trying them out to see which one is the best! Although mega has to many algs :(

Megaminx cos im crap at 4x4. Still, I'm bad at megaminx, and pretty much never do it. Rn I don't even have a 4x4 cos it broke
For me it's the opposite. I can't even solve megamix lastlayer corners. 4x4 I'm bad and mine broke, but I enjoyed it alot