• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Megaminx Discussion and Help

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I want to get an actual good megaminx, and the top two are the Galaxy and Yuhu(we're gonna pretend Gan doesn't exist). I've heard the Yuhu is pretty big, do you think it would be a problem? My hands are smaller than an adult male, but larger than most kids
Just get the LM if you are unsure. My hands are massive and I can still use the LM although I am more comfortable with something the size of the v1 or the yuhu v2

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have the Galaxy v1 and the v2 m. The v2 is smaller and better than the v1, and at first I was really annoyed with the decrease in size. I got used to it eventually and it was good enough so I never upgraded to the v2 LM.
Regarding the Yuhu, I haven't tried one, but I've heard it's good. I don't see any specifications on the size of the edge length, so I don't know if the Yuhu is larger than the LM.

I don't think that size will matter that much; you'll just maybe have to take a little bit more time to get used to it (and make sure that you solve LL while holding the cube, not on the table. that's slow). You can probably get either one (v2 m, LM, yuhu) and be totally fine.

YouTube
Visit Channel
I have the Galaxy v1 and the v2 m. The v2 is smaller and better than the v1, and at first I was really annoyed with the decrease in size. I got used to it eventually and it was good enough so I never upgraded to the v2 LM.
Regarding the Yuhu, I haven't tried one, but I've heard it's good. I don't see any specifications on the size of the edge length, so I don't know if the Yuhu is larger than the LM.

I don't think that size will matter that much; you'll just maybe have to take a little bit more time to get used to it (and make sure that you solve LL while holding the cube, not on the table. that's slow). You can probably get either one (v2 m, LM, yuhu) and be totally fine.
The YuHu is much larger than the LM

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel

The Yuhu is the size of the Galaxy v1 and pretty much any other megaminx aside from the galaxy v2/L and Gan megaminx, so if you are comfortable with the size of something like the original Yuhu or YLM megaminx then you should be just fine.

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am thinking about adding black to my Megaminx. What color should I put it instead of to give me the most benefits?
There are lots of different options. Some people switch it with grey, and some switch it with white. I've also heard of some more ways to do it. I think the main reason people would switch black with white is because the tan/cream color is hard to distinguish from white on some megaminxes, so if you struggle with that, then maybe you should try doing that.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
I am thinking about adding black to my Megaminx. What color should I put it instead of to give me the most benefits?

I think most people switch it with white or gray, but I think switching it for green or cream would be best, since the greens are close and white+cream are close, which would cause suffered recognition

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
(sorry about all the galaxy and/or yuhu questions, I keep coming up with more lol)

I've heard that the YuHu's greens are very close together. Has anyone had a big problem with recognition? Also on the Galaxy, although I think those are more distinct
Looking at videos they look a little bit more similar than the galaxy but as long as you have lighting it should be fine. My MFJS has similar shades and I can recognize perfectly fine, it also helps that they are opposite colors so if all else fails just look at what the other colors are.

YouTube
Visit Channel
(sorry about all the galaxy and/or yuhu questions, I keep coming up with more lol)

I've heard that the YuHu's greens are very close together. Has anyone had a big problem with recognition? Also on the Galaxy, although I think those are more distinct
I do not have any problems with recognition, though the Galaxy has better contrast99659577-81EE-4167-9485-B1B164D3A62F.jpeg1AA12B10-4FBC-4620-B00A-6E1D3F97BBB1.jpeg

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
When doing 2 look PLL, what algorithms are the best for CP? (I do CP before EP so they don’t need to preserve EP)
Super Sune thing - R2 U2' R2' U' R2 U2' R2' (do the U2' with eidos [flick, and then continue through with a push])
T perm - R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F'
E perm - x' (so that the U face is on F) U L' U' R U L U' R' U L U' R U L' U' R'

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
My splits on LL are pretty awful, it takes me about 15-17 seconds on 4look and I want to know if anyone has any tips. My F2L+S2L is a little slower than a minute but I'm pretty sure its LL that is killing me right now.

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have black instead of gray. Gray as a last layer color sucks because it looks so similar to the other colors next to it. OLL recognition is much, much easier with black instead of gray. Also, I had problems with white/cream recognition for like a day when I first got a stickerless galaxy before I got used to it. I see people complaining about it all the time but it's really not an issue for me.
When doing 2 look PLL, what algorithms are the best for CP? (I do CP before EP so they don’t need to preserve EP)
What @GenTheThief said, except for E-perm I use the standard 3x3 alg (x' (R U' R' D) (R U R' D') (R U R' D) (R U' R' D') x) with thumb pushes for the D moves
My splits on LL are pretty awful, it takes me about 15-17 seconds on 4look and I want to know if anyone has any tips. My F2L+S2L is a little slower than a minute but I'm pretty sure its LL that is killing me right now.
If you use true 4-look, that is, actually doing only one alg for each possible case of each step, then all you can do is practice. Anytime people ask about splits, I base it off of 20/30/10 splits for 1:00, so to scale up to 1:15, multiply each by 1.25. So your splits should be roughly 25/37.5/12.5. Identifying that LL is a problem for you is a great step! Try doing LSLL scrambles if you already know all the 4LLL algs.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you use true 4-look, that is, actually doing only one alg for each possible case of each step, then all you can do is practice. Anytime people ask about splits, I base it off of 20/30/10 splits for 1:00, so to scale up to 1:15, multiply each by 1.25. So your splits should be roughly 25/37.5/12.5. Identifying that LL is a problem for you is a great step! Try doing LSLL scrambles if you already know all the 4LLL algs.
Thanks, I still dont know a few of the cases though, where can I find the best algs? BTW I do CP last with the intuitive 1 piece at a time method unless its an A or E perm

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks, I still dont know a few of the cases though, where can I find the best algs? BTW I do CP last with the intuitive 1 piece at a time method unless its an A or E perm
EO is easy
All the algs I use for CO are here (the first alg for 3, 4, and 5 corners and for two corners I use the third, second, second, and third respectively)
EP is easy
For CP (and the rest of PLL when you get there), use algs from here (H and K are the ones you're looking for)

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can someone help me with recognizing the K CPs that have no headlights? It takes me like 3 or 4 seconds to recognize them.

Also, on Megaminx CP is it fine to line up the edges and rotate until you are holding it correctly and then do the CP alg? Or should I learn how to recognize CPs from every case so rotations are not required.

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can someone help me with recognizing the K CPs that have no headlights? It takes me like 3 or 4 seconds to recognize them.
As shown in the image here, find the two corners that are adjacent to where they need to be. Holding those in the front and back right, you can tell the two cases apart by whether the corners go to the left or to the right. This isn't exactly good but it's the best anyone's come up with so far. These cases kinda just suck and you have to deal with it (watch Phillip's PB to see what I mean)
Also, on Megaminx CP is it fine to line up the edges and rotate until you are holding it correctly and then do the CP alg? Or should I learn how to recognize CPs from every case so rotations are not required.
Obviously it would be better to minimize rotations and extra U moves but I am still struggling to do this with some PLLs. My advice would be to try to align the edges, recognize the case, then AUF and execute. If you're 2-looking so that you know edges are solved, it shouldn't be too difficult to recognize the CP case without aligning edges. Just try it both ways and see which one you like better.

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
As shown in the image here, find the two corners that are adjacent to where they need to be. Holding those in the front and back right, you can tell the two cases apart by whether the corners go to the left or to the right. This isn't exactly good but it's the best anyone's come up with so far. These cases kinda just suck and you have to deal with it (watch Phillip's PB to see what I mean)

Obviously it would be better to minimize rotations and extra U moves but I am still struggling to do this with some PLLs. My advice would be to try to align the edges, recognize the case, then AUF and execute. If you're 2-looking so that you know edges are solved, it shouldn't be too difficult to recognize the CP case without aligning edges. Just try it both ways and see which one you like better.
Thanks!