• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Megaminx Discussion and Help

C

Cubinwitdapizza

So I’ve been doing quite a few solves and my times are going up every solve. I do t feel like this is normal.

MegaminxMan

So I am currently averaging low 50's at the moment, and I really want to break that sub-50 barrier! What are some of the most important things to be doing in my solves that could help push me into the 40's?

aerocube

Since I am able to swap around the tiles on my Galaxy mengminx, I was wondering if any of the members here had modified their minxi with unusual color layouts and why that would be a good idea.
changing layouts could be a good idea if you're planning to switch to yu da hyun s2l

jakelevine

WCA
2009LEVI01
Since I am able to swap around the tiles on my Galaxy mengminx, I was wondering if any of the members here had modified their minxi with unusual color layouts and why that would be a good idea.
I put yellow opposite white and replaced the original yellow side with grey, and black opposite that.

Feels much more normal to me, I couldn't stand grey opposite white

jakelevine

WCA
2009LEVI01
Probably the stickerless... How would I be able to tell?

Edit: Nevermind. I figured it out... What a stupid design choice from the company...
Yup. Have to get rid of those male end connectors and it will be fine though at least mine is, can't even tell it was done besides the color swap

Hi, I have been trying to solve my Megaminx. A first, I could, but after a couple of days, I kept messing up at the final step, even with YouTube videos and algorithms which I followed precisely. Before I started the R' D' R D algorithm, only one piece was oriented wrong (yet in the right place), however afterwards, everything was messed up.

As far as I know, I did the algorithm correctly; I am sure I did the D at the end of the algorithm every single time. What did I do wrong?

Clemensu42

Hello everyone. I just got my first (4x4) megaminx and now I'm stuck with the last layer. My problem is that I only have 2 unsolved edges and I already know that it's not solvable. But I can't pop out the edges so I wanted to ask how I can solve it now?

Nuubi

Hi! Found this forum after some Googling. Please, guide me to a better place if I'm asking in a wrong place..

The question:
I just got a brand new Megaminx as a gift. I didn't notice anything wrong with it when I took it from the box. I've tried to solve it now twice (beginner's method) but the last corner orientation is wrong. How can it be possible? Nobody has physically removed/twisted any pieces. I am very puzzled.

xyzzy

Hi! Found this forum after some Googling. Please, guide me to a better place if I'm asking in a wrong place..

The question:
I just got a brand new Megaminx as a gift. I didn't notice anything wrong with it when I took it from the box. I've tried to solve it now twice (beginner's method) but the last corner orientation is wrong. How can it be possible? Nobody has physically removed/twisted any pieces. I am very puzzled.
This can happen by accident once in a while; sometimes a corner piece catches on an adjacent edge piece and twists when you force the move through. If you've solved it to a state where there's only one incorrectly-oriented corner, you can just twist that corner to fix it as it's not solvable with only normal moves.

Nuubi

This can happen by accident once in a while; sometimes a corner piece catches on an adjacent edge piece and twists when you force the move through.

Problem solved. Thank you very much!!

I have been quite careful not to force the moves but the corner pieces are quite easily twisted in my Megaminx. I didn't realize it was that easy or even possible.

CurlyFries

WCA
2015BURE01
Most people are aware of the notation used to scramble megaminx, otherwise known as Pochmann Notation, and it is what the WCA uses. An example can be seen below:

R-- D++ R-- D-- R-- D++ R++ D++ R++ D-- U'
R++ D++ R++ D-- R++ D-- R-- D++ R-- D-- U'
R-- D-- R-- D-- R++ D-- R++ D++ R-- D-- U'
R++ D-- R-- D-- R-- D++ R-- D++ R++ D++ U
R++ D-- R-- D-- R++ D-- R++ D++ R++ D++ U
R-- D++ R++ D++ R++ D++ R-- D++ R-- D++ U
R++ D-- R++ D-- R-- D++ R++ D-- R++ D-- U'

Though it is simple, I believe it can be simplified even more. Since everybody who scrambles megaminx knows the sequence, The "R" D" and "U" letters can be completely removed, and so can the second "+" and "-" signs. Therefore, the simplified sequence would look like this:

- + - - - + + + + - '
+ + + - + - - + - - '
- - - - + - + + - - '
+ - - - - + - + + +
+ - - - + - + + + +
- + + + + +- + - +
+ - + - - + + - + - '

This is the simplified version. The way of generating the scrambles would be the same, just the output would be different.

I thought this was interesting, and I hope you do too! Please do let me know what you think.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've thought of that for megaminx scrambles before, but I think it actually decreases the readability somewhat. Having the R's and D's there seems to make it a little easier to keep your place as you're scrambling, for me at least. So I actually think the shorter format is less readable. I'm curious to find out what other people think, though. Is it just me?

An interesting thought for another option:

1- 1+ 3- 4+ 1-'
3+ 1- 1+ 2- 1+ 2-'
4- 1+ 1- 2+ 2-'
1+ 4- 1+ 1- 3+
1+ 3- 1+ 1- 4+
1- 5+ 1- 1+ 1- 1+
1+ 1- 1+ 2- 2+ 1- 1+ 1-'

And of course you could leave out the "1"s for added brevity, but I'd think that might make it a little less readable. The variations in the numbers maybe make it easier to keep track of where you are. But I think the negative to this in particular, and also to a lesser degree to the one in the previous post, is that it would be easy to get confused as to whether you're supposed to do an R or a D next. For this one in particular, I'd think it would be a problem. So I'm not sure I like this idea much. But it is an interesting idea.

Last edited: