• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Megaminx Discussion and Help

M

Malkom

How should you learn megaPLL? Up until now i've been learing subsets with easy recog like parasol and chimney. My goal is to learn full PLL so I will learn every case but don't know if i should start with the easy ones, the hard or just learn them set by set (mushroom, horse face and bunny), any suggestions?

M

Malkom

F2L ~26
S2L ~35
LL ~14
Total 1:15

What's good, what's bad, what can I improve? I use Balint S2L with a lot of freedom (any blocks in any order, almost).
With the "optimal" splits I've used (that may be totally wrong) everything is in order, I would practice S2L since it's the longest part and therefore would improve your times the most.

D

Daniel Lin

so i'm new to mega

what do people think of being color neutral, or at least partially color neutral?
Is choosing between multiple colors a waste of time? (since it gives you less time to plan your star)

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
so i'm new to mega

what do people think of being color neutral, or at least partially color neutral?
Is choosing between multiple colors a waste of time? (since it gives you less time to plan your star)
I only know of one person who is colour neutral on mega (@Robert-Y) who is pretty much the most CN person ever and even he admits there's no real advantage to being CN on mega iirc so just pick a colour and go for it.

xyzzy

I find that I suck at planning the whole star regardless of colour neutrality, so I just plan a "2×2×2" block instead. I usually do white-yellow-purple-green-red or white-yellow-blue-red-green for F2L/S2L (up to the last two faces), but if I see nice blocks with yellow during inspection, I'll switch the order in which I do white and yellow.

(but also I average like 1:55 so don't treat this as advice or anything)

WCA
2013CABR01
How should you learn megaPLL? Up until now i've been learing subsets with easy recog like parasol and chimney. My goal is to learn full PLL so I will learn every case but don't know if i should start with the easy ones, the hard or just learn them set by set (mushroom, horse face and bunny), any suggestions?
I think if you are planning on learning all of them, then there is nothing wrong with just going case by case.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
so i'm new to mega

If I recall correctly I dropped pretty quickly from 6:00+ to about 4:00 by switching from CN to white star. I'm down to around 3:30 now. I'm obviously no megaminx prodigy, so take my observations with a grain of salt, but I think the bigger difference than planning the star is knowing exactly which pieces I'm looking for at each stage of the solve.

M

Malkom

What's the best, limiting regrips and do weird F-style moves or do tons of regrips and only do R and U moves?

M

Malkom

Maybe learning to finger trick f moves?
I do already, but it seems like most fast people don't do it. Compare my videos to Sam Myungs and Simon Westlunds, it's like we're using completely different methods.

Bakya

My XMD sculpture getting catched up often while turning. Any thoughts to overcome?