• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Megaminx Discussion and Help

Imsoosm

My main problem with megaminx is my F2L and S2L. I complete F2L around the 30 second mark, and my S2L around 1:45-1:55. A lot of times a corner or an edge of the pair I'm doing is in the back, so I have to flip the cube and rotate a lot to find it. Same with S2L. I'm currently learning 4LLL. Do you guys have any tips on improving on F2L and S2L?

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
My main problem with megaminx is my F2L and S2L. I complete F2L around the 30 second mark, and my S2L around 1:45-1:55. A lot of times a corner or an edge of the pair I'm doing is in the back, so I have to flip the cube and rotate a lot to find it. Same with S2L. I'm currently learning 4LLL. Do you guys have any tips on improving on F2L and S2L?
Just look ahead! Don't look at the pieces you're solving and instead be looking for the next ones. You should also, if you don't already, know exactly which pieces you need in each step. That'll help you notice them before you need them.

Imsoosm

Just look ahead! Don't look at the pieces you're solving and instead be looking for the next ones. You should also, if you don't already, know exactly which pieces you need in each step. That'll help you notice them before you need them.
My main problem is sometimes that an edge or a corner is in the back slots, or requires a flip of the megaminx. It wastes a huge amount of time, and a lot of times I first look around the cube then find out it's actually on the back. Is there any way to get rid of this problem?

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
@Cuberstache what method do you use for S2L?
Westlund
My main problem is sometimes that an edge or a corner is in the back slots, or requires a flip of the megaminx. It wastes a huge amount of time, and a lot of times I first look around the cube then find out it's actually on the back. Is there any way to get rid of this problem?
Sometimes that just happens. You can reduce how often it happens by remembering pieces you see that you'll need soon. For example, in F2L, you should notice every F2L piece that comes into your field of vision and remember at least vaguely where it is so you can find it quicker later. The other thing you can do is just pick a different pair to solve, if that's an option. Both ideas rely on knowing which pieces you need for your current step and keeping your eyes open for them, even when you're solving or looking for something else.

Timona

YouTube
Visit Channel
So I switched from Bálint to Westlund the other day and my times dropped from 2:10 to around 1:55. It definitely helps to have an order in which you solve S2L so the lookahead is easier and it was hard for me to develop an order with Bálint. I'm still learning 4LLL but I know a decent number of cases, even though I still use commutators for CP. I usually finish F2L at around 40 secs, my S2L takes the most time. Now my question is, any tips for getting to 1:20? Because I know for a fact that simply getting higher TPS wont shave off 30 secs.

Last edited:

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
So I switched from Bálint to Westlund the other day and my times dropped from 2:10 to around 1:55. It definitely helps to have an order in which you solve S2L so the lookahead is easier and it was hard for me to develop an order with Bálint. I'm still learning 4LLL but I know a decent number of cases, even though I still use commutators for CP. I usually finish F2L at around 40 secs, my S2L takes the most time. Now my question is, any tips for getting to 1:20? Because I know for a fact that simply getting higher TPS wont shave off 30 secs.
Do lots of solves, finish learning 4LLL and get really comfortable with it. Get comfortable with your order. Push how much you are inspecting and tracking pieces. Work on learning more efficient inserts, like back inserts. Etc

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I solved my Megaminx corners first, then I used setups + U-perm to solve the edges up until the last 2. I was wondering if there was any 2-flip alg for Megaminx?
The alg Lid told you works, but you could also do it by doing a U-perm, some setup moves, and another U-perm, just like how you solved the rest.

Timona

YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't know full 4LLL yet but is it advisable to start learning some PLLs and OLLs? I've gotten some cases that stand out a lot and I wanna learn them.
Also, when should you turn fast and when should you slow turn and lookahead?

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't know full 4LLL yet but is it advisable to start learning some PLLs and OLLs? I've gotten some cases that stand out a lot and I wanna learn them.
Just learn all 4LLL, then start learning Full PLL.
Turn Fast on Last 2 Pairs + 4LLL, and slow on Cross, F2L + Part of S2L

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Definitely finish learning full 4LLL first, then you can jump in and learn those easy cases. Also, turning fast and looking ahead are not mutually exclusive. The most important part of looking ahead is knowing how to solve pairs without looking at them so that you can look for other pieces. I don't think you should ever turn slowly for lookahead reasons during timed solves. If you're not used to the idea of lookahead, slow turning, UNTIMED solves can be good to let you develop the habit of not looking at what you're solving without the pressure of a timer. But, once you know what to do, just do it. Focus on not looking at what you're solving but rather searching for the next pieces to solve.

Thom S.

Is it a good idea to hold the megaminx in the air while solving or putting it on the table and solve it that way? Or does it depend on the cuber?
Mostly air, as you can hold the puzzle in a way that makes you see the pieces more clearly. For LL, fast cubers seem to put it down as you cam turn faster aparently.

Table Abuse Round 2?

A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11
Don't table abuse Hungarian Supernova. It looks and is stupid. If you need to table abuse your hands are probably too small for your puzzle, or you've built a bad habit. Yes, it's easier to table abuse in some cases than to forgo it but you look like a fool, I really don't understand why some top-solvers table-abuse because it's really just a matter of how you hold the puzzle, table abuse is unnecessary in Hungarian Supernova.

Last edited: