• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Megaminx Discussion and Help

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
I've thought of that for megaminx scrambles before, but I think it actually decreases the readability somewhat. Having the R's and D's there seems to make it a little easier to keep your place as you're scrambling, for me at least. So I actually think the shorter format is less readable. I'm curious to find out what other people think, though. Is it just me?

I agree with you, but maybe only one + is needed, instead of two.

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
- + - - - + + + + - '
+ + + - + - - + - - '
- - - - + - + + - - '
+ - - - - + - + + +
+ - - - + - + + + +
- + + + + +- + - +
+ - + - - + + - + - '

This is the simplified version.
I've thought of that for megaminx scrambles before, but I think it actually decreases the readability somewhat. Having the R's and D's there seems to make it a little easier to keep your place as you're scrambling, for me at least. So I actually think the shorter format is less readable. I'm curious to find out what other people think, though. Is it just me?
Yes, having just the pluses and minuses makes it much too difficult to keep your place, especially when there are several negatives in a row. I tried to scramble from the shortened version and did an odd number of turns on two of the seven lines.
1- 1+ 3- 4+ 1-'
3+ 1- 1+ 2- 1+ 2-'
4- 1+ 1- 2+ 2-'
1+ 4- 1+ 1- 3+
1+ 3- 1+ 1- 4+
1- 5+ 1- 1+ 1- 1+
1+ 1- 1+ 2- 2+ 1- 1+ 1-'

And of course you could leave out the "1"s for added brevity, but I'd think that might make it a little less readable. The variations in the numbers maybe make it easier to keep track of where you are. But I think the negative to this in particular, and also to a lesser degree to the one in the previous post, is that it would be easy to get confused as to whether you're supposed to do an R or a D next. For this one in particular, I'd think it would be a problem. So I'm not sure I like this idea much. But it is an interesting idea.
For me the main issue with this is that when I scramble, I think about the scramble in pairs, one R followed by one D. This way, I can just use the motion for, say, R++ D-- and continue on to the next pair, deciding whether or not I need to regrip, etc. I think overall the scrambling notation is fine how it is. Maybe having just one + or - would be fine if it must be simplified.

JTM007

What is the best megaminx tutorial video? I've been trying to solve it for legitimately a few months and it's killing me. I've looked at dozens of videos with no luck. Can someone help me please.

JTM007

I've done all of the second layer besides one side. Everytime I solve the last side of the second two layers another side gets mucked up.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
I've done all of the second layer besides one side. Everytime I solve the last side of the second two layers another side gets mucked up.

Ah, ok. Try lifting that side up to the other side, inserting the pair, and bringing it all the way back down. J Perm explains this in his video also

damien_nera

For the love of me I cannot figure out how to solve my new megaminx. And suggestions for algorithms?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

WCA
2018BRUM01
I was getting bad times on 3x3 so I started playing with my megaminx. I realized that the star seemed to suck most of the time. Would it be worth it to switch to color neutral for mega, and how much work would that take if I did?

Also, like 5 solves in I got a total pll skip. What are the odds of that on megaminx?

I was getting bad times on 3x3 so I started playing with my megaminx. I realized that the star seemed to suck most of the time. Would it be worth it to switch to color neutral for mega, and how much work would that take if I did?

Also, like 5 solves in I got a total pll skip. What are the odds of that on megaminx?
Becoming color neutral on mega is not worth it.

Even the worlds best, Feliks, Juan etc. are not color neutral.

It is VERY hard and you only save an average of 5 moves for star

WCA
2018BRUM01
Would it be worth it to try and become dual-color neutral with like white and grey? I am asking this now because I am not very fast right now because I never practice but I actually really like mega and am gonna start practicing. I think if I want to learn to become at least somewhat color-neutral it would be easier now than in the future when I get good.

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Would it be worth it to try and become dual-color neutral with like white and grey? I am asking this now because I am not very fast right now because I never practice but I actually really like mega and am gonna start practicing. I think if I want to learn to become at least somewhat color-neutral it would be easier now than in the future when I get good.
No, no one does that. Star is a much smaller part of the solve than cross is in 3x3. Robert Yau is only person I know of who is colour neutral in megaminx.

alexiscubing

WCA
2018HIRS04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am CN for all of the events I do (2x2-5x5, mega, clock, skewb, pyra, OH) and I think that at an elite level it would be useful.
If you want to get colour neutral I would just suggest practicing. If you don't want to be CN you should probably make an order to do the other S2L faces

Sorry but honestly no.

It is not as easy as 3x3 to be DN