• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Megaminx Alg Sets

BobTaco

Out of curiosity I was thinking about if megaminx had a bunch of alg sets like 3x3x3 since they are relatively similar to solve. During my research I could only find full oll almost full pll(still in progress) ell and cll for 3 cycle corners. Why has megaminx not developed a bunch like 3x3x3 has, I feel it would be really cool to see megaminx coll, wv, sv and all sorts of alg sets develop. Granted all this is coming from an alg junky who likes algs.

aerocube

megaminx alg sets are much longer than 3x3 alg sets though
for example,megaminx COLL would be 972 algs,almost twice as many as ZBLL and recognition doesn't seen to be that nice either
imo it wouldn't really be that good for recog and probably isn't really something you should learn atm

Astral cubing

WCA
2017JOHN23
for example,megaminx COLL would be 972 algs,almost twice as many as ZBLL and recognition doesn't seen to be that nice either
imo it wouldn't really be that good for recog and probably isn't really something you should learn atm
Unless your trying to be the best in the world!

CuberStache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
CuberStache
i'm pretty sure juan pablo huanqui uses 2-look OLL and full PLL
I'm not 100% certain but I'm pretty sure he knows full OLL except for one edge oriented cases and uses partial edge control to avoid those cases. I agree that megaminx COLL and other stuff wouldn't be worth learning because of the sheer number of algs. Full OLL and PLL is plenty. There are probably some WV/SV cases that would be worth learning but certainly not as a full set.

kadabrium

for megaminx you have 5 slots' opportunity for edge control so vhls would probably be a viable alternative over full oll depending on how handy the algs are

btw why is ep>cp the preferred order over cp>ep? Cp first allows cp to be solved in just j, t and e 3x3 perms, and i personally dont find pure ep algs to be harder than pure cp.

edit ps: here
he did a zbll at 3:08 which is basically a commutator. I wonder how many of those are intuitively derivable

CuberStache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
CuberStache
for megaminx you have 5 slots' opportunity for edge control so vhls would probably be a viable alternative over full oll depending on how handy the algs are
Most top-level megaminx solvers use Westlund S2L order, meaning only two pairs are left at the end. Balint, which has 5 pairs at the end, is not as popular. Two pairs is plenty for edge control though.
btw why is ep>cp the preferred order over cp>ep? Cp first allows cp to be solved in just j, t and e 3x3 perms, and i personally dont find pure ep algs to be harder than pure cp.
I actually do cp>ep if I don't know the PLL. I also wonder why people don't do that because the algs are similar and recognition seems comparable. I guess for beginners it's easier to permute corners by placing them one at a time like a commutator.

Also, what he did there was not a commutator. It's a 3x3 COLL algorithm and the recognition for this particular megaminx COLL is easy because all the corners are placed correctly.

Last edited:

BobTaco

I understand the alg sets would be much larger but I feel like some stuff you would run into the same situation as zbll where some are good and others not so much so you would have to pick and choose.

kadabrium

Most top-level megaminx solvers use Westlund S2L order, meaning only two pairs are left at the end. Balint, which has 5 pairs at the end, is not as popular. Two pairs is plenty for edge control though.

I actually do cp>ep if I don't know the PLL. I also wonder why people don't do that because the algs are similar and recognition seems comparable. I guess for beginners it's easier to permute corners by placing them one at a time like a commutator.

Also, what he did there was not a commutator. It's a 3x3 COLL algorithm and the recognition for this particular megaminx COLL is easy because all the corners are placed correctly.
whats your e perm alg for cp-first?

CuberStache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
CuberStache
whats your e perm alg for cp-first?
I used to use the big cube E-Perm:
R2 U R' U' y (R U R' U') x2 (R U R') y' R U' R2'
I've since switched to the standard 3x3 E-Perm:
x' (R U' R' D) (R U R' D') (R U R' D) (R U' R' D')
I didn't use it before because I couldn't fingertrick the D moves but I figured out how to do it with my thumb. It's hard to explain but I push the D layer back and forth with my left thumb while doing the triggers with my right hand