• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Me and my V-Cube 3

Allu K5

I am relatively new to speedcubing and i just learned 4LLL and started to practice F2L. I average sub 45.

My main is a V-Cube 3 and I use CRC silicone spray. I have tensioned it and its very well broken in. It cuts 45 degrees, and a lil bit of reverse corner cut.

I am thinking about getting few better cubes, like Gans 3 or Zhanchi, but the question is, will i notice a lot of difference after starting to use a "real" speedcube? Will my times noticeably rise?

Thanks in advance!

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
Will my times noticeably rise?

I'd hope the opposite would be true! ;-)

Some folks say get an intermediate cube, such as a Guhong 2 or a Shengshou Wind/Aurora, but personally I'd say go for a Zhanchi or Weilong. Either are capable of producing a sub-8 average, so unless you're intending to be significantly faster than that, I'd plumb for one of those two.

Some people rave about the Gans, or Cyoubix Maru cube, but I'm not qualified to comment on either, as I don't own one.

Short answer: YES, you will notice a difference. There may be a small reduction in times, but cubes don't make you improve, practice makes you improve!

Welcome to the forums.

rj

WCA
2015PLAT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am relatively new to speedcubing and i just learned 4LLL and started to practice F2L. I average sub 45.

My main is a V-Cube 3 and I use CRC silicone spray. I have tensioned it and its very well broken in. It cuts 45 degrees, and a lil bit of reverse corner cut.

I am thinking about getting few better cubes, like Gans 3 or Zhanchi, but the question is, will i notice a lot of difference after starting to use a "real" speedcube? Will my times noticeably rise?

Thanks in advance!

I would recommend a Gans III or a Moyu sulong. You will notice a difference. I would recommend learning 1 look PLL, and working on your f2l pairs. I did that and got sub 30.

WCA
2014TIUA01

Thanks in advance!

Well, they really shouldn't (your times). Zhanchi is good and I've heard Gans is nice, except for assembly.

Allu K5

Thank you all for fast answers. I probably get Gans 3 and a Zhanchi from hknowstore.

WCA
2014TIUA01
The fact that it pops easily makes it good for beginners.

Wait, wait, wait....how does this make it good for beginners??! If you're meaning less corner cutting for teaching clean turning habits, maybe. But popping more=good for beginners just doesn't sound right.

Sarge

WCA
2012GARN02
If you want a really good, cheap cube get the YJ Sulong off thecubicle.us or some other site. It's only $6 and is damn fine for a beginner. Or if you wanna get something different for more some good options are:
>Dayan Guhong: absolutely great to learn how to tension and lube cubes, plus you really don't need much more than CRC to make them really fast. The only downside is if you're tensions aren't fairly tight, it pops sometimes. But it's great for learning accurate turning, as it is forgiving and doesn't pop very much in my experience
>ShengShou Aurora: the track system gives it a very buttery feel, and it has good corner cutting both forward and reverse, plus it's cheap. But the turning style is kinda different, and it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but for only $9 it's a solid cube to try.
>Dayan Zhanchi: very quick if you set it up right. Personally, I wouldn't recommend something like this till you can sub-30 on a slower cube, but it is an option if you take to the statement "go big or go home"
>Moyu HuanYing: this cube can be quick, but I could see it being good for someone coming from something fairly quick like a V-cube.
>Dayan Lunghui and LingYun: both of these are very swaggy cubes. they could be a competent sub for the Guhong if you're feeling like taking the road less traveled when it comes to mains, they've all got that solid Dayan-type feel to them.

Having started with something fairly quick, you can pretty much go to anything you feel, but I'd recommend jumping up to something of intermediate speed and just practicing technique to get faster. If you can get sub-20 on a slow cube, your times will plummet like crazy when you get a fast cube. Personally, I'd recommend a Guhong v1 or v2 the most, I love those cubes and I prefer them to my CRC-d Zhanchi.

Last edited: