• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Maze cube - center orientation

Fill

Hi,

I have been messing arround with a maze cube lately (http://www.puzzleproz.com/ebay/images/misc_stickers/maze_cube.jpg) and I could solve it using an auxiliary draw of what the cube looks like when it is solved.

If anyone out there owns one of these, I would appreciate to share some impressions and knowledge about this cube. I have two major questions:

1 - Is it possible to solve it by pure logic, that is, without looking or having an auxiliary picture of the solved state? (trial and error based solves excluded)?

2 - I am practicing on solving this cube and last time I faced a situation solving my top layer where I had all the edges in place, correctly oriented, but the center piece was rotated 90 degrees from where it was supposed to be. I am using the beginner's method to solve the last layer. The problem is that a friend scrambled the cube again before I had the chance to check if the first 2 layers were properly solved, or if I made some silly mistake and one edge wasn't in the right place... So the question is: can this happen in a maze cube? If so, how can I avoid it? Maybe using 4ll to solve the last layer?

Any other tips & hints, feedback, etc, are appreciated. Btw, I *did* find the older thread from 2010 about this cube, but I didn't really find an answer to these questions.

See ya arround,
Fill

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is just like a picture cube. You can solve centres by doing them during regular piece solving or with things like [M'UM,E].

I'm sure you can solve it with 'pure logic'.

Fill

Humm...

Honestly I was expecting some more enthusiastic and longer answers, instead of "Solve it like a picture cube" and "I'm sure you can solve it with 'pure logic'".

I also don't understand why my thread was moved here (without advice), since other topics about this cube are all in Puzzle Theory section.

Maybe I'm in the wrong forum, though. Sorry for disturbing. I will try not to be back :)

Cheers,
Fill

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
One T perm rotates the U centre 90 degrees anti clockwise.

To fix the corners and edges, bring another centre to the top that needs to be rotated and do a T perm again, fixing the corners and edges and rotating the centre.

You can also use commutators (commutators FTW) such as ME'M'U2MEM'U2 which rotates the R and F centres

James Ludlow

Premium Member
WCA
2009LUDL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
..... the center piece was rotated 90 degrees from where it was supposed to be.... So the question is: can this happen in a maze cube?

If I'm not mistaken, this isn't possible. One side must be either solved correctly or 180degrees off. 2 T perms would solve the 180 matter, but for it to be ninety degrees, another centre is also 90 degrees. Have a close examination. It could of course be that the centre cap fell off while your friend was scrambling, and he put it on wrong.