• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Making a Cube Timer Site--Ideas Needed!

gcn12

Hi everyone,

I'm making a cube timer app as a personal project and wanted to gather some input as far as what features you would like to see in it. Looking for both features that you like on other timers as well as ones you wish they had. Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks!

DovahCourier

I like the idea of an app that keeps track of my previous solves and shows a line graph of my progress. I have also enjoyed being able to label my dofferent cubes and save them to pick which one i am currently using. Lastly being able to switch between different WCA puzzles would be nice.

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

Edit: Id live to see some posts of progress because those kinda of things are really cool to look at.

gcn12

Those are some great ideas--thanks for sending them over. What kinds of posts of progress are you thinking of?

DovahCourier

Those are some great ideas--thanks for sending them over. What kinds of posts of progress are you thinking of?
Just like a picture or two of how the timer is coming along. I love being able to watch personal projects like these evolve over time. Its always interesting to see these things grow.

I'd like a 3D cube that shows the state of the scramble and a solver with not just Cross or EOLine option, but with custom sub-steps that the user has entered as well, similar to csTimer's solver tool. The second request might be a bit hard, so it's just a bonus feature.

gcn12

I'd like a 3D cube that shows the state of the scramble and a solver with not just Cross or EOLine option, but with custom sub-steps that the user has entered as well, similar to csTimer's solver tool. The second request might be a bit hard, so it's just a bonus feature.

You're right that it might be a bit difficult to implement, but I'll make note the idea and do my best to make it happen down the road

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would use it if I could have 20+ sessions, I could import thousands of times from cstimer at one time, it never resets my times, and can calculate an average or mean of any number, like CSTimer.

Also, I feel like "ao5" looks better and more professional than "Average of Five," like how you put it.

gcn12

and time distributions, and customization backgrounds, basically, just make it exactly like CSTimer except it doesn't reset the times :p
Can you elaborate a bit about how CSTimer resets times? Just want to make sure I get it right! Thanks for the ao5 suggestion, too--the change has already been made.

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can you elaborate a bit about how CSTimer resets times? Just want to make sure I get it right! Thanks for the ao5 suggestion, too--the change has already been made.
I honestly don't know, but often when I close the tab and open it a couple hours later all my times are gone. Thankfully there is an export feature, but sometimes I forget to do it.

gcn12

Custom stats, merging sessions, time trends, daily stats.

EDIT: Syncing solves across devices.

Some very nice ideas in here. As far as merging sessions goes, would you prefer to merge entire sessions or be able to move individual times around?

Also, regarding the custom stats, what are some you would like to see? Currently thinking of number of solves per day and average of solves per day, but definitely want to add more.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
I honestly don't know, but often when I close the tab and open it a couple hours later all my times are gone. Thankfully there is an export feature, but sometimes I forget to do it.

Is your browser data on? And do you have a program(i.e: CCleaner) that will clear your browser history?

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
1st question: honestly idk 2nd question: I'm pretty sure no unless it was built in to my computer or something

Check to make sure browser data is on. It's what stores the info of your times and your background. If you clear either that or your history then it loses the information

brododragon

As far as merging sessions goes, would you prefer to merge entire sessions or be able to move individual times around?
Top priority would be fill merges, but a little transfer thing in solve info for individual solves.
Also, regarding the custom stats, what are some you would like to see? Currently thinking of number of solves per day and average of solves per day, but definitely want to add more.
I was talking about whatever mo/bo/ao # you wanted (like Ao30), but what you're talking about would be cool. Something slightly off-topic, but it'll make sense: the ability to add recons directly to solve info. This would give TPS stats.

Also, what kind of UI areyou planning on using?

I'll brainstorm some more tomorrow.