• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Magnets Discussion and Help thread

C

Cubinwitdapizza

Want to magnetize a meilong 4x4 have questions.

So I have seen that a lot of people have been maining a magnetized meilong and I have some questions.
1) Will a speedcubeshop or a cubicle conversion kit work, and will I need multiple?
2) If I can’t use those, then where should I buy my magnets and what size?
3) What lube did you use to setup your meilong?

That is basically all, but if you have any tips on magnetizing in then throw them out. Thanks!

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel

So I have seen that a lot of people have been maining a magnetized meilong and I have some questions.
1) Will a speedcubeshop or a cubicle conversion kit work, and will I need multiple?

That is basically all, but if you have any tips on magnetizing in then throw them out. Thanks!
SCS sells two strenghts of magnetizing kits. Strong and weak. The weak ones are N35 4x2 and the strong ones are 4x2 N50. You'll have to shop elsewhere to get the right magnets. I recommend Aliexpress for the magnets. What you need is 4x2 N35 for the outer layers and 4x1 N35 for the inner layers. Most people seem to agree that's what's best and that's how I am going to do it next time I magnetize a MeiLong 4.

For lube, I just stick some MoYu on the core and QiYi on the pieces and I'm done.

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel

You need 96 magnets total. I recommend 48 each of 4x1 N35 and 4x2 N35.

You can try Aliexpress or Ebay but you run a very high probability of getting undersized magnets (4x1.7 instead of 4x2 for example).

GAN 356 X

Help, I am purchasing a GTS2M, but want feedback on magnets.
From reading thecubicle, I have discovered an abundance of reviews talking about the ease of magnets falling out. Please help, anyone who owns a GTS2M.
Do they fall out easily? How many magnets are there in the cube? And is it easy to reattach them?
So far in the entire 4 months I have owned a gts2m I have never encountered this problem. They have slots which the magnets fit into so it shouldn't be a problem

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I always use these three sites to check magnet strength and advice.

This one lists just about all cubes and a lot of them have the plastic thickness and magnet recommendation listed.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ckx4hwxyP9i_7M0Fm7NWg2hraEHA1MPjROgvl9kONKM/edit#gid=0

If you want to check how strong magnets will be in your cube, you can use this website:
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/calculator.asp

Put in your magnet strength, size and distance between the magnets. The distance is listed in the previous spreadsheet, or you can measure it yourself with a caliper. The number you're looking for is the number on the far right. Magnet to Magnet.

With the Yuxin Little Magic, which has a plastic thickness of 1.86 and N35 4x2 magnets you'd get a magnet strength of 0.10, which is about medium. In my MeiLong 3, which is 1.81 mm plastic thickness, the magnet strength is 0.11. You see that even 0.05 mm can make a difference. With N40 you'd get 0.12 which is getting on the stronger side of things. Usually anything under 0.07 is too weak and anything over 0.14 is usually strong. In my other MeiLong 3 I put 4x1.5 which is 0.07 which is just barely noticable, but still quite pleasant to turn.

Source of magnet strength guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/Cubers/comments/5uv823
I don't agree with avoiding N35. Those are very readily available and dirt cheap, so that's what I tend to go with. I just bought 800 magnets for 10 euros.

Iwannaganx

I always use these three sites to check magnet strength and advice.

This one lists just about all cubes and a lot of them have the plastic thickness and magnet recommendation listed.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ckx4hwxyP9i_7M0Fm7NWg2hraEHA1MPjROgvl9kONKM/edit#gid=0

If you want to check how strong magnets will be in your cube, you can use this website:
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/calculator.asp

Put in your magnet strength, size and distance between the magnets. The distance is listed in the previous spreadsheet, or you can measure it yourself with a caliper. The number you're looking for is the number on the far right. Magnet to Magnet.

With the Yuxin Little Magic, which has a plastic thickness of 1.86 and N35 4x2 magnets you'd get a magnet strength of 0.10, which is about medium. In my MeiLong 3, which is 1.81 mm plastic thickness, the magnet strength is 0.11. You see that even 0.05 mm can make a difference. With N40 you'd get 0.12 which is getting on the stronger side of things. Usually anything under 0.07 is too weak and anything over 0.14 is usually strong. In my other MeiLong 3 I put 4x1.5 which is 0.07 which is just barely noticable, but still quite pleasant to turn.

Source of magnet strength guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/Cubers/comments/5uv823
I don't agree with avoiding N35. Those are very readily available and dirt cheap, so that's what I tend to go with. I just bought 800 magnets for 10 euros.
Great, good to know. I'm doing some jobs for my grandparents on the weekend so I will buy them after that. Thanks!

C

Cubinwitdapizza

Do you think I could buy 4x2 and 4x1 magnets off of amazon? They are pretty cheap at 8 USD for 200. They are also N35.

phuque99

A quick question:

Why don't we flush mount magnets instead of putting them inside cubing pieces? Magnets are so much stronger when they are in contact than when they are separated by a couple of millimeters of plastic.
I think it boils down to manufacturing cost of drilling and aligning holes correctly. If I'm not wrong, GAN 356 X magnets are in contact with each, with matching price tag.