• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Magnets Discussion and Help thread

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Has anyone magnetized the normal yuxin 5x5?

Check my spreadsheet. Looks like @One Wheel made a suggestion for the YuXin Purple.

Can confirm. The yuxin has loads of room inside for magnets and makes a fantastic magnetic 5x5. It has unusually thick plastic, so you have to use stronger magnets than you would for, say, a Wushuang. The magnets that I recommend are available from Gaussboys, you'd have to buy a few extra to get the $10 minimum for free shipping.

sillyturdle

Can confirm. The yuxin has loads of room inside for magnets and makes a fantastic magnetic 5x5. It has unusually thick plastic, so you have to use stronger magnets than you would for, say, a Wushuang. The magnets that I recommend are available from Gaussboys, you'd have to buy a few extra to get the $10 minimum for free shipping.
Thanks for the info! I think I'm leaning toward the wushuang now but its nice to know there's enough room in the yuxin. I was meaning to do my mf5 but there is just simply not enough room in that corner.

Check my spreadsheet. Looks like @One Wheel made a suggestion for the YuXin Purple.

I personally didn't do this setup myself, but I did something a little weird for my Purple. I've got a ton of extra N35 4x2 magnets that I don't really have much use for, so I figured I'd try placing them all throughout the cube, and then doubling up the the inner layers and the edge that's touching the corner. I'm surprised that the magnet strength still turned out a bit light for my taste, but still very doable. The cube didn't turn out surprisingly all that heavy either. I haven't lubed it yet, but I'm sure it'll turn out even better.
doubled as in stacked? so 168 magnets? I'm surprised the weight was manageable!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bui An

I once magnetized YLM with n48 4x2 and it is too heavy. now i think i should use n35 3x2 and split parts into edges and corners, making 2 ylm: one with n48 4x2 in the corners, n35 3x2 in the edge and the reverse. Is this a viable plan and if it is, can anyone give me some tips?

teh yoshi

Sounds all right to me, although the small magnets might make it rather clicky and light. I say you should go try it and report back to us.

Bui An

Sounds all right to me, although the small magnets might make it rather clicky and light. I say you should go try it and report back to us.
I guess you will have to wait until august because im still waiting for the magnets from china

chron0s

Just put 3x1.5 N38s from Gaussboys into an MF2S 2x2 and Chuwen 2x2. The MF2S is not well designed to be magnetized, 3mm is the limit diameter wise and even then you risk getting in the way of the covers. Strength wise this feels quite good for the MF2S.

I've used 4x1 N38 in a chuwen before - nice strength for that cube - but I like these more - they're the same strength or even a hair stronger on the calculator, but the magnet's diameter is smaller so the overall effect is something a little bit weaker compared to 4x1 N38.

sillyturdle

Do you think standard n35 4x2 would work for the standard yuxin 5x5 (purple)? according to the k&j magnetic calculator it would be a tad lighter than your recommendation at .10 lb pull force in the middle and .9 on the corner compared to your .11 in the middle and .08 on the corner.
I found a few sources that actually like 3x2 n35 which seems too weak. and @chron0s said double n35s is still weaker to him. seems all over the place, no?

chron0s

sillyturdle I haven't magnetized a 5x5 yet (yuxin purple is on my list) - must have been someone else who said 3x2 n35 was too weak, maybe One Wheel? I'll definitely post results once I magnetize a 5x5. Big cubes take me forever so might be a while!

I did a Yuxin Blue this afternoon and spring swapped, outers feel good with 4x2 N35 and the inners are a little weak with 3x1.5 N52 but it might be a tensioning issue. Also I'm getting locking even though I aligned the center pieces on the pegs, not sure what I messed up :/

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
@sillyturdle I haven't tried 3x2 for 5x5, but it does sound like it would be very light, especially for the Yuxin. I used 4x2 n35 in a Weichuang and didn't care for it. Too light.

I actually wrote to k&j to ask if they could set their calculator to show a third decimal place, and they said that they understood why I thought it could be useful, but the data they have isn't really even accurate enough to rely on the second decimal place. It's a very helpful tool for estimation, but ultimately finding exactly the right balance has to be a matter of experimentation and personal taste. I really like the way I have my Yuxin set up, the best I can do is tell you what I've done and say that it works really well for me.

sillyturdle

@sillyturdle
. It's a very helpful tool for estimation, but ultimately finding exactly the right balance has to be a matter of experimentation and personal taste. I really like the way I have my Yuxin set up, the best I can do is tell you what I've done and say that it works really well for me.

Hmm I like lighter magnets and n35 4x2s are so cheap and readily available I think I'm gonna try it out. If it's too weak Its not like it will ruin it. I wonder there is a more accurate measurement tool/algorithm/reference out there. It seems like there has to be.

sillyturdle I haven't magnetized a 5x5 yet (

Oops, wrong person!

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
n35 4x2s are so cheap and readily available I think I'm gonna try it out.

If that's what you want, go for it, I hope it works well. For my money, here's the way I budget it:
- Puzzle: $15
- Magnets: $2 or $10
- Labor: 1 1/2 hours @ $10/hr = $15
- Total: $32 or $40, and there's room to go up on the labor cost.

If you don't like the result with cheap magnets not only do you have up start over at the beginning (or even further back than before, if you started out with a cube you already had), because the really cheap magnets are often not actually the size and strength advertised you don't necessarily know how much you want to adjust the strength. Worst case scenario would be to magnetize one with cheap magnets, a second with expensive magnets, and a third with the right expensive magnets. Then you've spent $80 to save $8.

sillyturdle

If you don't like the result with cheap magnets not only do you have up start over at the beginning (or even further back than before, if you started out with a cube you already had), because the really cheap magnets are often not actually the size and strength advertised you don't necessarily know how much you want to adjust the strength.
I'm not trying to cheap out just to save a buck. The way I figure it is in my thunderclap mini i used the same mags in corner/edge and its 1.97 vs 1.98 and 2.03 for the yuxin. I can't see how the strength isn't a good one when compared with what I have already.

chron0s

Did more work and adjustment on the Yuxin blue I magnetized this afternoon - I used 4x2 N35 corner-edge, and 3x1.5 N52 edge to edge. My big problem with setting up this cube after magnetization is I swapped springs, with thunderclap springs you have to run the tensions on the tighter side to prevent a lot of internal catching. But the cube has a slight design "flaw" as far as reassembly goes - the center pieces have two slots, one deeper and one more shallow, and its easy to install the center edges flipped. If you do that you'll hit problems. Check your centers during reassembly and make sure they're not flipped 180 degrees on this cube.

Anyway getting back to the magnets and overall cube feel - at first I was a little unhappy but this is feeling quite good after solves and comparison with some flagships. With thunderclap springs the blue feels a little looser compared to a wuque M or thunderclap mini that I magnetized. But this cube is _quick_ and I'm really impressed with the inner layers- did solves compared to a Aosu GTS M and the inners are much better and outers feel good.

Setting up this cube is a lot of work and I still have more testing to do, but a magnetized yuxin blue is like nothing else.

@sillyturdle feel free to PM me, sounds like I've magnetized some cubes you're using, lets compare notes before you magnetize the 5x5

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Did more work and adjustment on the Yuxin blue I magnetized this afternoon - I used 4x2 N35 corner-edge, and 3x1.5 N52 edge to edge. My big problem with setting up this cube after magnetization is I swapped springs, with thunderclap springs you have to run the tensions on the tighter side to prevent a lot of internal catching. But the cube has a slight design "flaw" as far as reassembly goes - the center pieces have two slots, one deeper and one more shallow, and its easy to install the center edges flipped. If you do that you'll hit problems. Check your centers during reassembly and make sure they're not flipped 180 degrees on this cube.

Anyway getting back to the magnets and overall cube feel - at first I was a little unhappy but this is feeling quite good after solves and comparison with some flagships. With thunderclap springs the blue feels a little looser compared to a wuque M or thunderclap mini that I magnetized. But this cube is _quick_ and I'm really impressed with the inner layers- did solves compared to a Aosu GTS M and the inners are much better and outers feel good.

Setting up this cube is a lot of work and I still have more testing to do, but a magnetized yuxin blue is like nothing else.

@sillyturdle feel free to PM me, sounds like I've magnetized some cubes you're using, lets compare notes before you magnetize the 5x5
The Blue is an underrated puzzle.

L

lucarubik

I can't tell if you're replying to someone with your wording, but yes, that would be really strong and snappy. The HuangLong has really thin plastic, even thinner than the Little Magic.
i believe that would be you... i was checking your spreadsheet im gonna go check... ye unless im missreading it wich is totally possible it says n50 4x2 for both edges and corners
wich ones would you recomend anyway, im loving the cube so far itsooooo good what a cube srsly i dont want to spoil it

teh yoshi

i believe that would be you... i was checking your spreadsheet im gonna go check... ye unless im missreading it wich is totally possible it says n50 4x2 for both edges and corners
wich ones would you recomend anyway, im loving the cube so far itsooooo good what a cube srsly i dont want to spoil it
I think you may have because it says N38 4x1.5 for the HuangLong on my spreadsheet.

I personally used N42 5x1 on my HuangLong, and it's quite strong, but I've gotten used to it thanks to continuously solving on my GTS3M. You can either try the recommendation on my spreadsheet, or if you want wider magnets but perhaps not as strong, you can try N35 5x1.

L

lucarubik

I think you may have because it says N38 4x1.5 for the HuangLong on my spreadsheet.

I personally used N42 5x1 on my HuangLong, and it's quite strong, but I've gotten used to it thanks to continuously solving on my GTS3M. You can either try the recommendation on my spreadsheet, or if you want wider magnets but perhaps not as strong, you can try N35 5x1.
woops i was looking at hualong and when i ctrl fed huang nothing popped up because i had a cell selected, my bad! that was sad... thanks for the info!