• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Magnets Discussion and Help thread

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just a quick question, what would you think about a Magnetized Senhuan Mars? The cube is mediocre as a whole, but mostly because of stabiliity, I feel like the mechanism would benefit from it. Opinions?
I'm not a fan of the Mars but it would be an interesting project. The cubies are capped a little like the Weilong GTS which is a pro but rather than having a flat surface there's a little tunnel. You might be able to put glue on a magnet and drop it in then use another magnet on the outside to position it. Could be worth a try. You won't make it any worse.

Aysha

WCA
2017JAMS01
Not gunna lie, I really think if someone tried to Magnetize the Senhuan Mars that would be cool. That cube has some potential, and although it is mediocre, the main reason WHY it is mediocre is because of its massive stability issues, its speed and "feel" is great.

What do you guys think, Magnets in the Senhuan Mars possible? How would it work in the corner mechanism?

I actually want to magnetize the Mars but there's no space for the magnets to fit!

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
IMG_20161115_183903.jpg IMG_20161115_185155.jpg
The Mars is interesting. You can drop 2mm x 4mm magnets into the rectangular holes and they don't have room to turn around. With the caps on they will stay in edge pieces but they will pop out the top in the corners and cuddle up together. Obviously this problem wouldn't happen if I had glue. Pretty sure this would be among the easiest cubes to magnetize but I think N35s may be a bit weak. Unfortunately it's really hard to get anything cheap between the N35 and the N52.
EDIT: If you asked @SenorJuan nicely for a loan of his dremel you could fit magnets in the centres of the Mars too.

Last edited:

SenorJuan

Obvious point, here, Mark - you have a full set of 35's and 52's, why not mix 'n' match, with 35's in the edges, 52's in the corners etc, to get 'inbetween' total attractive force?
I also recommend marking which is which set, and if they're not already marked, a polarity face.

SenorJuan

And for extra tinkering complexity, you could 'double-up' a magnet, hope that makes sense.

Do you have a hot-melt glue gun, or just the sticks from one? That stuff isn't a bad way to fix magnets in place, and it's reversible, either by warming up the glue, or just prying it out. A soldering iron run cool can melt that stuff, chop a small bit off the stick, put it in-situ, melt it, insert magnet. Sounds easy, but clearly will involve swearing and burnt fingers in order to get a good result.
NIB magnets don't care for excess heat, take them above the Curie temperature, they lose magnetism.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dom

SenorJuan

Yes, on top of the other. It was just an option, I assume you're just tinkering, rather than slavishly trying to replicate a WR cube.

I suppose the idea of fitting two pairs , side-by-side would probably work, it would be tricky to fit them, though, they don't care for being alongside each other.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, on top of the other. It was just an option, I assume you're just tinkering, rather than slavishly trying to replicate a WR cube.

I suppose the idea of fitting two pairs , side-by-side would probably work, it would be tricky to fit them, though, they don't care for being alongside each other.

There's no way they are ever going next to each other. It's hard enough putting them in the same cubie as they keep jumping out to be together.

Aha see Told ya the Mars would be easily magnetized, but yeah I agree, it has such a weird hardware.

Cool stuff though @newtonbase
:
I was only really playing around to see if they would fit while I waited for glue to arrive but I'm going to have to finish the job now. I may end up with the first good Mars if I can get rid of that awful catching.