• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Magnetic vs non magnetic

GAN 356 X

I think magnetic cubes are much better, as they stabilise the cube, for example when I put in the capsules without magnets in my Gan x, it is utterly uncontrollable. They also add a nice magnetic bump and help from over and under shooting turns

Scrombo

I think it depends on the cube. I have this weird relationship with my Little Magic. I LOVE the way it feels unmagnetized. I have a magnetic one which is pretty good, but I always go back to the unmagnetized one. Inversely, I think the Meilong with magnets is great.

Dr. Lube

A good 2x2 doesn't need magnets, but I suppose you could say that about any puzzle.

I wonder how many truly bad puzzles are hiding their shortcomings behind magnets...

Sue Doenim

I think it's interesting that for a while after magnetic cubes were first released, M slices were a really big concern, but now, no one gives them a second thought.

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
I wonder how many truly bad puzzles are hiding their shortcomings behind magnets...
Yeah. The Valk, GTS, and Gan air were really the last cubes to come out that were really good without magnets.
Non magnetic versions of today's flagships are for the most part worse than those three because they were not designed to be nonmagnetic.

Many people still think that the nonmagnetic Valk is still better than these new budget magnetic 3x3s, and I can't say I disagree.

Reizii_

WCA
2019LAWS01
Magnetic for everything except 3x3, 2x2, and 3BLD. I do main magnetic cubes for those events, I just feel like that's when they're least necessary.
Also magnets shouldn't matter for FMC, but that should go without saying.

Izaden

In my experience (which is very limited) One benefit to magnets that I personally thinks isn't covered enough is stabilization.
I have a QiYi Warrior W (non magnetic) and a Cyclone Boys FeiJue M. Both are stickerless and both are budget cubes I know.
I love the feel of the textured plastic on the Warrior W and it turns great after some tuning. The FeiJue turns pretty well after tuning as well.
I find the magnets help a little with turn accuracy, but not to an amount that actually helps me, I have fairly low TPS so my turns are pretty deliberate and accurate as is.
I actually turn faster on the Warrior W but this could just be the cube as opposed to the magnets interfering.

The main benefit I find when solving on my magnetic cube however is that the portion of the cube that I am NOT turning stays still and requires less grip and attention to control.
For example, if I am doing sexy move repeatedly ( R U R' U' ) the 2x2x3 block at the bottom left of the cube does not require as much grip and I can be more relaxed about my left hand position because the magnets sort of "lock" it in to position, making it harder to disrupt.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Llewelys

I went to a comp this week end and tried a magnetic 3x3 for the first time for a couple of solves. It felt really weird and I couldn't get my usual times.
Is it just a question of habit ? Like do you guys remember how it felt when you first tried a magnetic cube ?
I'm wondering if it's worth buying a magnet kit.

Izaden

I went to a comp this week end and tried a magnetic 3x3 for the first time for a couple of solves. It felt really weird and I couldn't get my usual times.
Is it just a question of habit ? Like do you guys remember how it felt when you first tried a magnetic cube ?
I'm wondering if it's worth buying a magnet kit.
I am fairly new to cubing and bought both a magnetic and a non magnetic cube to start.
I feel it is just a learning curve, the cubes handle differently and you need to develop muscle memory to properly harness the magnetic cube. I'd compare it to a mechanical keyboard vs membrane keyboard, the act of typing (or turning) is the same but you need to get used to the feel and positioning.

Llewelys

Ok, thank you
Does anyone know what's the size and strength of the magnets used in the Valk 3 M ?

Mody

Ok, thank you
Does anyone know what's the size and strength of the magnets used in the Valk 3 M ?
I don’t think there a way to measure magnet strength
But I think most cubes use strong magnets