• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Magic prediction with the Rubik's Cube! How?

Cubemir

WCA
2009ROST02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello. My name is Mikhail Rostovikov. I'm from Russia

Yesterday I invented an interesting trick with the Rubik's Cube. I haven't ever seen this trick before, and I decided to post it here.

I think, I can do this with 3 or even 5 cubes in a row. Enjoy! :)

Added 05th April 2010:

Hello one more time! Excuse that long did not appear at a forum

Today I made a new film:

I considered all your remarks. Now it is 3 cubes in a row, and CCT timer. Next time I am going to do 4 or 5 cubes in a row. :)

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

PatrickJameson

Premium Member
WCA
2007JAME01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What timer program is that?

EDIT: How I think he did it:

The timer could be programmed to stop at predetermined times, so he just has to stop near the times and the timer will do the rest.

Buutttt, I'm probably wrong :p

Last edited:

Feryll

If the trick is anything else besides a non-legit timer, I think you deserve a cookie.

Olivér Perge

WCA
2007PERG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Very nice! :)

I think, I can do this with 3 or even 5 cubes in a row. Enjoy! :)

This means your trick is not 100% sure. (Then I guess it has to do something with you predicting the time by the scramble.) Can you maybe do it with different order, like: first writing the time down, then scrambling and solving? :p

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
1269302550674.jpg

How?!!!?!

jms_gears1

Premium Member
WCA
2009MAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What timer program is that?

EDIT: How I think he did it:

The timer could be programmed to stop at predetermined times, so he just has to stop near the times and the timer will do the rest.

Buutttt, I'm probably wrong :p

Patrick got it.

if you watch the video time closely youll see that the time he stops the timer and the time that shows up is different.
For the first solve about .2 seconds between pressing the spacebar, and the actual time.

also if you look at his last solve, he procrastinated just enough to get near the 16 second solve. With his PLL he rotated the cube at around 12, but the PLL took 4 seconds?

no. What happened was he, for a split second, held the cube there not doing anything. Then did the alg.

or at least thats what ive observed.

jms_gears1

Premium Member
WCA
2009MAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Woahhh. That's great if you want to get a really good standard deviation. Will you tell us how you do this?

How did you do this????!?!??!?@?@?@#?!#!?$!@?!

did you guys like not read my post at all?

Generally if you post in a thread you, i dont know, READ what other people have said......

EDIT: Although i guess its not 100% so i should give you the benefit of the doubt... but still...

Aksel B

WCA
2009BORU01
That would be cool to do in a competition.. Just tell the judge to write down "xx,xx" before you start solving :p

Zarxrax

if you watch the video time closely youll see that the time he stops the timer and the time that shows up is different.
For the first solve about .2 seconds between pressing the spacebar, and the actual time.

If you watch the video closely, you'll see that the timer only updates every 3-4 frames or so. Each time it changes its like .1-.2 seconds different from the previous time. So the timer is doing nothing *visibly* strange when he stops it.

miniGOINGS

What if he filmed the timer later, and did picture in a picture editing? It would be easy to slow or speed up the timer by a tiny amount.

jms_gears1

Premium Member
WCA
2009MAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Woahhh. That's great if you want to get a really good standard deviation. Will you tell us how you do this?

How did you do this????!?!??!?@?@?@#?!#!?$!@?!

did you guys like not read my post at all?

Generally if you post in a thread you, i dont know, READ what other people have said......

EDIT: Although i guess its not 100% so i should give you the benefit of the doubt... but still...

If you watch the video closely, you'll see that the timer only updates every 3-4 frames or so. Each time it changes its like .1-.2 seconds different from the previous time. So the timer is doing nothing *visibly* strange when he stops it.

ahh, hmm

Im still pretty sure that what patrik said was right.