• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Magic help

Hadley4000

WCA
2008SHEF01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am entering some tournaments soon, all of them I will be doing the magic.
Now. My Maggic broke. The only one on ebay is over $20. Rubik's site is out. Cube4you takes too long to ship, and I don't know how to put new strings on.

Any ideas? I'm getting really worried, cause the Magic is one of my best events.

Todd

Pretty sure someone on this site wrote a guide or youtube video on how to re-string your magic....

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
Worse case scenario is find someone before the competition to fix it. Surely someone there can fix it in like 20 minutes, and if you meet up the night before, then you should be good. Or you can try restringing it yourself. I find it hard to do, but practice makes perfect. Search the forum for some guides on restringing.

Hadley4000

WCA
2008SHEF01
YouTube
Visit Channel

darkstriker90

it doesn't?? well it certainly helped me haha..takes me like 20-30mins to restring it now :)

@ Lotsofsloths

what do you mean it broke? like is the string broken or did it just "pop" out?

if it's broken, then you must make or buy new strings(cube4you, cubesmith)...if it just popped then you can put it back according to the link in my other post..it helps to use pliers to pull the string back as your fingers aren't as small or agile to handle the tension...

Last edited:

darkstriker90

hmm it's kinda hard to explain here but, to restring it, according to that site, you must first rearrange all the tiles correctly (in the rectangle shape), then you take the first 3, and string it according to their diagrams...you should use pliers to help pull and loop the string into the corner..dunno what else I could say..you can try looking for a youtube video showing how to restring it..but I learned how to restring mine using their diagrams and it was fine..

Hadley4000

WCA
2008SHEF01
YouTube
Visit Channel
hmm it's kinda hard to explain here but, to restring it, according to that site, you must first rearrange all the tiles correctly (in the rectangle shape), then you take the first 3, and string it according to their diagrams...you should use pliers to help pull and loop the string into the corner..dunno what else I could say..you can try looking for a youtube video showing how to restring it..but I learned how to restring mine using their diagrams and it was fine..

Wouldn't pliers damage it?

darkstriker90

Wouldn't pliers damage it?
hmm..well if you want you could use ribbon or some type of strong string (I used my broken magic strings lol..but the pliers were more effective..)

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
Does anyone know the best technique for unstringing a magic? A couple of strings on mine are dangling loose, and I can't seem to get them out. Any ideas? Thanks

Mike Hughey

Super Moderator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Take a tile on the end, and gently twist it. If you twist it back and forth a bit and are a bit patient, you should be able to get the tile free. Then see if you have better luck removing the next batch of strings. I always keep going until I get to a point where I can understand all the remaining free strings. Sometimes that means taking the whole thing apart.