• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Lubricate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just lubed my cube for the first time, and it's stiffer than ever. I used heavy-duty silicone spray. Am I supposed to break it in again or something? Will is eventually get smoother? Did I ruin it? I hope not, because I've only had it two weeks.

mrbiggs

The cube generally gets really stiff after you lube it, then it gets much better after you play with it for a bit until finally it's better than it was originally.

When I first started lubing I put way too much on and didn't let it dry, and the cube was stiff for like a day or two. Nowadays it's decent 15 minutes after I lube it and better than it used to be after a couple hours.

genwin

(for a resident chemist?) can i buy a non-silicone lubricant for my cube?? It says it won't harm plastics... its an STP brand of lubricant if that helps... And what makes silicon the ideal lubricant anyway??? is there an alternative??

Inusagi

(for a resident chemist?) can i buy a non-silicone lubricant for my cube?? It says it won't harm plastics... its an STP brand of lubricant if that helps... And what makes silicon the ideal lubricant anyway??? is there an alternative??

I don't think there's a different alternative. I have never heard of something that help the cube to get better...

By the way, why do you want an non silicone lubricant?

genwin

can't find one here in our country... 5 hardware stores, all out of stock... the "best" one i can find was the STP brand, but i didn't buy it..

bundat

Really? "The Handyman" store in all Robinson's malls carry the Cyclo brand Silicone spray, which is the silicone spray used by most PCA members. Also, "ACE Hardware" in all SM Malls carry the McKenic brand Silicon spray, used by some other people. Then, there's also Concorde in SM Malls which also have silicone sprays too.

And if that doesn't work, in auto supply shops (which you could probably find everywhere) you can buy silicone sprays, or silicone oil for only p60 (about $1.50) which you can inject into your cube ala cubelube.

Leviticus

Is that the "3-1 professional silicone spray lubricant". I have that can, its ok, it makes the cube stiff at first, so make sure to shake ths can and then spray it, work it in etc. But no it doesnt kill the cube.

linkmaster03

Keep working it in. If it doesn't get smooth for a day, unassemble it, and wipe it down with paper towel. Shake the can, spray less in, and pop out an edge by a fan to let it dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.