• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Look Ahead

jdh3000

Look ahead is the tuning point for me on 3x3.

I for a long time have struggled with it. I've read and seen videos that say look ahead shouldn't even come into play until one is sub x(varies), and to that I agree somewhat because first so much can be done with fingertricks, efficient pair and insertion, backslotting, and more.

Committing as much information to muscle memory is crucial because look ahead requires no thinking about the current pair, and one will never see more than that unless they can free that part of the mind to work on its own.

I thought I had pretty good look ahead before, but I was really still looking at my current pair some, even when I thought I was tracking another, my eyes were still watching the current pair.

The thing that helped me was the tried and true method of just practicing finding a pair and turning my head then solving. I tried closing my eyes but for me turning my head and focusing on something else helped more.

I had attempted this before but always got frustrated probably because I didn't have enough efficient f2l and solid muscle memory of the more tricky inserts.

I've yet to get my cross to where I can do the whole thing every time without looking. but I'm getting there.

The beat advice I can give for anyone wanting to practice look ahead, from my own experience is yes, save most of your look ahead practice until you have a lot of other areas covered. You will be developing some look ahead anyway, but when you feel like youve learned very efficient inserts, the muscle memory is good, use optimal fingertricks, then start practicing either shutting your eyes or looking away. It will make a big difference then.

My pauses are down to practically none during f2l; it would be none except I lose a piece every once in a while, but that's getting less and less.

When I can get the cross down without looking at it every time, I'll do a better job of having my first pair lined up. Then I'll be better able to plan and insert first pair while already having my second pair lined up.

Hope this helps someone!