• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

List all the ways to practice F2L here

Chuberchuckee

F2L is the "limiting reagent" of speedcubing; your F2L speed is what predominantly determines your overall speed. The cross is intuitive and the last layer involves the application of a few memorized algorithms. Easy. However, F2L is not as simple and takes considerable practice. Therefore, it is important to prioritize improving F2L above all other steps.

After seeing badmephisto's newest video, which was on practicing F2L, I thought it might be useful to gather all the methods of practicing F2L in one place. Here's what I came up with.

1. Practice slowly and consciouly focus on looking ahead.
2. Practice with a metronome; try to follow the beat and not stop. (Focus on looking ahead)
3. Study one F2L case, memorize how to solve it, close your eyes, and execute. Repeat for the other three slots (this only works if you actually memorize how to solve it. It doesn't work as effectively [if at all] if you visualize the pieces moving around in your head. It helps to think up an algorithm for that caseand execute it with your eyes closed.).
4. Study two F2L cases, memorize how to solve them, close your eyes, and solve two F2L pairs with your eyes closed. Repeat for other two (same commentary as above).
5. Solve F2L without cube rotations; ignore misaligned edges.
6. Solve F2L while minimizing cube rotations/move count.

7. Memorize the 41 case algorithms and be able to execute them from all angles (How did I forget to add this? )
8. If you're aiming to be color neutral, practice solving the cross and the F2L for all sides. If you're aiming to be opposite color neutral, practice solving the cross and F2L for two opposite colors (like white and yellow).
9. Just solve the cube over and over and over again (not as effective as other methods of practicing).

Of course, these are methods you can use after you are comfortable with F2L, not when you've just learned it.

Any more ideas on practicing F2L?

Last edited:

pinoycuber

i got simple ways to practice.
1. Color memorization duhhhh..
2. Make your eyes narrow, Seek for the colors the your looking for.
3. Memorize 41 Cases?YEP!
4. Metronome What is it? it will make u tense so you will be nervoused and solve it amazingly!
5. Love your cube!
6. Your hands it should be not sliperry.
7. Play tetris! it would help you recognize colors :)

Mr Cubism

This link can be useful:
http://jmbaum.110mb.com/f2l.htm

What about this case, which of them is the fastes/most easy?:
qbhRiZHnY.jpg

I begin to like the second solution more and more....especially when you can do the F R2 F` in "one turn"

Last edited:

Raffael

WCA
2007ORTR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This link can be useful:
http://jmbaum.110mb.com/f2l.htm

What about this case, which of them is the fastes/most easy?:
qbhRiZHnY.jpg

I begin to like the second solution more and more....especially when you can do the F R2 F` in "one turn"

If this is my last slot, I always use
F' U F U' R U2 R'
to connect corner and edge and then either
U' R U2 R' or
U2 R U' R' or
U R' F R F'

if its not my 4th pair, i usually bring it to the U-layer, solve another pair first and hope for an easier case.

kjeldsen

I say this without having gone through the algorithms i've initially learned. The algorithm i originally learned for the case we're talking about didn't suit me well, so i simply brought the pair to the U layer to create the first alg. on the picture. It's not that much slower than the second one, and i always prefer to have edge/pair insertion on the back, because it helps me to look ahead having a better view of the front of the cube.

But this may just be because of my lack of F2L skills : )

Edam

Premium Member
WCA
2008WILL03
whats a good amount of turns to aim for in f2l? I'm on about 40 (inc cross) at the moment.

Raffael

WCA
2007ORTR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
whats a good amount of turns to aim for in f2l? I'm on about 40 (inc cross) at the moment.

as far as i know cross and any f2l case can be solved in 8 moves or less, so you seem to be not wasting moves.

That's the worst case you're talking about.

it is indeed, i should have said 8 moves or less..
oh wait!! i did say something similar...;)

Chuberchuckee

7. Memorize the 41 case algorithms and be able to execute them from all angles (How did I forget to add this? :) )
8. If you're aiming to be color neutral, practice solving the cross and the F2L for all sides. If you're aiming to be opposite color neutral, practice solving the cross and F2L for two opposite colors (like white and yellow).
9. Use a cube with an unstickered LL specifically for F2L practice.

Anything else I missed?

tim

WCA
2007HABE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

as far as i know cross and any f2l case can be solved in 8 moves or less, so you seem to be not wasting moves.

That wasn't my point. Your conclusion isn't correct.

kjeldsen

Context: I think Raff meant to say that Edam isn't wasting any more moves than he has to, to adhere to the notion that any f2l case can be solved in 8 moves or less.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This might be considered a bit more advanced, but practice solving not only the cross but also the 2x2x2 block. This might lead to you learning that you like Petrus F2L, or Petrich (2x2x2, followed by the other 2 cross pieces, followed by F2L) or Xcross.

Chris

Raffael

WCA
2007ORTR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Context: I think Raff meant to say that Edam isn't wasting any more moves than he has to, to adhere to the notion that any f2l case can be solved in 8 moves or less.

exactly, thank you.

tim probably understood what i was trying to say in the first place, he is just nitpicking.
that's ok, since i only wanted to annoy him a bit with my reply.

tim

WCA
2007HABE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

exactly, thank you.

tim probably understood what i was trying to say in the first place, he is just nitpicking.
that's ok, since i only wanted to annoy him a bit with my reply.

Nope, i didn't.

soccerking813

I think that it may be a little counter productive to use a cube with no last layer stickers, because when you are doing f2l on a normal cube you have more edges/corners to look for.

YouTube
Visit Channel
I built a cube especially for F2L practice with an unstickered LL. This would've been a good tool but I had to dismantle it to build a cube for friends.

You don't get realistic times then because the recognition is way easier because there are less colors on the cube( no yellow/green piece etc...)