• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Learn 5-style: You can do it!

mark49152

Super Moderator
Staff member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
mark49152
There are many challenges in the world that seem impossible (send a man to the moon, internet over the entire planet, curing cancer) but with a few years of invested time and collective effort, it becomes mainstream and widely adapted.
Such things involve judgment, planning and innovation as well as investment of effort. There are reasons we haven't built a city on the moon yet.

As I'm sure I've said before, I'm excited to see you pushing the limits and would love to see you come up with something useful. The best contribution I can make today is to point out the folly of trying to brute-force 5-style, and encourage you to approach it differently.

Personally I think the most promising way to explore 5-style would be to focus on the 4-movers plus a systematic method of setting up other cases to those, with the objective of maximising the number of cases covered. That way, you stand a better chance of achieving a reasonable move count benefit while keeping an intuitive approach to aid with learning and recall. I'm just not sure a significant enough proportion of cases could be covered with manageable effort, but it's worth a try. You could also try cancelling 4-movers into adjacent 3-cycles, e.g. solve ABCD as (ABCE)(ED).

Edit with example:
[M', U] solves IADM speffz. IADF could be solved with (IADM)(MF) where MF is [U: [M', U L' U'].

(M' U M U')(U M' U L' U' M U L U2) = M' U2 L' U' M U L U2 = [M', U2 L' U']

Last edited: