• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Last Layer Breakdown

ajmorgan25

WCA
2008MORG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've been having a lot of problems lately and I like to call it my "LL breakdown." Basically, I get to the last layer and get very nervous and my fingertricks and algorithms (which are usually pretty smooth) become very choppy which ends up slowing my time by precious seconds. Anybody else have this problem?

Guoguodi

Yes, I have the same problem. I just tell myself to relax on LL, and turn smoothly and precisely. Especially on PLL ... if I don't focus/relax then I get all excited and inevitably fingers start fumbling. It kind of depends on how forgiving your cube is in terms of corner-cutting as well.

Cerberus

WCA
2007CHRI03
YouTube
Visit Channel
just go smooth for the algorithms, you should time some PLLs for speed and see your fast time with the risk of locking up and then do the same smooth, not really slow but more relaxed.
For example, my fast Y perm is 2 seconds, my smooth is about 2.4, but I got the risk to lock up the last F' or fail the part between the OLL triggers when I go to fast and that would mess up the algorithm to 3 or 4 seconds and annoyes me, making me nervous because I fail in something pretty easy and the following solves might not be that relaxed.
so I still practise the algorithms and some like T or J are no problem for me to always go full speed and I want to be that confident with my excecutions that I can do it with all.

F

FU

I don't get nervous but I get lockups even in F2L, and it gets worse in LL. I think turning fast but lightly helps.

jonny guitar

My LL is the best part of my solve so I look forward to it. I suggest with LL practice and repitition comes familiarity and confidence which will eliminate any hesitation or nervousness.

H

hdskull

Slow down! Gradually you'll speed up automatically w/o locking up.

Kian

WCA
2007BARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
it's just all practice. i'm in the same boat as you, where my ll is not comparable to my f2l, but it gets better the more you execute the algorithm and, just as importantly, how quickly you can recognize it.

if there's one thing we've all learned, its that there really is no substitute for practice. lots and lots and lots of practice.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh, lol, funny how my throw off comment has been quoted twice already >.< (really, I was only trying to justify why my own last layer sucks).