• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Largest cube solved in one calendar day: 70x70 Rubik's cube in 8:21:22.834

soup

YouTube
Visit Channel
I solved a 70x70 Rubik's cube, all in one calendar day:
2020-07-16T23:55:47.360.png

As far as I know, this is the largest Rubik's cube that's ever been solved in one calendar day. I started the solve at 10 am on July 16th, 2020, and finished the solve with just 5 minutes to spare at 11:55 pm on July 16th, 2020. This solve is also a PB for largest cube I've ever solved. (Previous PBs were 64, 60, and 40)

Solve stats:
Time: 8:21:22.834
Movecount: 58610
Average moves/second: 1.948
Average pieces solved/second: 0.9478

Splits for each stage of the solve:
Code:
Starting time: July 16 at 10:03 am
Center 1: 1:46:33 (Completed July 16 at 12:10 pm)
Center 2: 3:21:47 (Completed July 16 at 3:18 pm)
Outer shell/edges: 4:08:47 (Completed July 16 at 5:14 pm)
Center 3: 5:49:44 (Completed July 16 at 8:10 pm)
Center 4: 7:10:30 (Completed July 16 at 10:28 pm)
Last 2 centers: 8:19:48 (Completed July 16 at 11:53 pm)
3x3 stage/Final: 8:21:22.834 (Completed July 16 at 11:55 pm)
The method I used to solve the cube is a variation of the cage method that I came up with a couple of months ago, where instead of solving the outer shell of the cube first, we instead solve the first two centers of the cube first, then move on to solving the outer shell of the cube, and finally solve the remainder of the centers as normal.

I originally came up with this method as a way to help me solve odd cubes more quickly, because it made working with the first two centers much easier/faster than it would be if I were to solve the outer shell first, but it works just fine on even cubes too, so I used it here as well.

I used ben whitmore's newly released cube simulator, cubesim, which can be found here.

Sub1Hour

The method I used to solve the cube is a variation of the cage method that I came up with a couple of months ago, where instead of solving the outer shell of the cube first, we instead solve the first two centers of the cube first, then move on to solving the outer shell of the cube, and finally solve the remainder of the centers as normal.
Do you think this method is better than standard caging and redux? I don't solve massive cubes regularly, but perhaps that could be quite efficient for massive cube solves?

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
Is ThAt A 10x10?
Couldnt you make the cube bigger and start at 1200 am and end at 1159 pm?
That means you would have to be awake for 24 hours straight (or, if you want to be technical, like I know someone will, 23 hours and 59 minutes). I know that I for sure can't do that. You would also have to eat and drink while you solve.

soup

YouTube
Visit Channel
Do you think this method is better than standard caging and redux? I don't solve massive cubes regularly, but perhaps that could be quite efficient for massive cube solves?
yes, it is slightly better than the standard cage method. when doing the cleaning steps for centers 1 and 2, where you do xU/xU2/xU' moves around the middle ring of the cube to partially fill in columns of each center, there's no need to restore the cage after the relevant cleaning steps are done. center-swaps with r U2 r' l' U2 l don't have to be undone either, so it saves a fair bit of time, and the full cage doesn't necessarily have to be done after the first two centers are solved, just solving the edges is fine*

both of these cage methods though are way, way better than reduction, because the search time for individual center pieces is minimal, as opposed to the reduction method, where search time per center piece increases drastically as cube size goes up

*note that on odd cubes, the full cage has to be solved after center 2 is solved, and all center swaps have to be undone afterwards because of the middle edges. center-swaps on odd cubes are as follows: r U2 r' l' U2 l R U2 R' L' U2 L' U M' U' M. the U M' U' M attached allows access to M-centers.

I only have a 9x9, but L2C on is pretty hard. I imagine it only gets worse when you get insane cubes
with this method, l2c becomes pretty straightforward. it takes roughly 40% less time to solve l2c than it does to solve the 1st center.

Couldnt you make the cube bigger and start at 1200 am and end at 1159 pm?
with some breaks allowed I think maybe 95x95 could be done in one day, but I will leave that to someone else.

Last edited:

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
That means you would have to be awake for 24 hours straight (or, if you want to be technical, like I know someone will, 23 hours and 59 minutes). I know that I for sure can't do that. You would also have to eat and drink while you solve.
Staying up for 24h straight really isn't that hard(although it's harder since it's the same thing for the entire time) if you're doing something you enjoy. I don't think I could do that for that long, but if someone's motivated then just turn on a podcast and grind