• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Large average progression equations

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
After a bit of punching buttons on my calculator, I've found that the following represents how my larger averages usually progress:

\( 14+ \tfrac {30}{sqrt(x)} \)

Please check here for information on formatting equations.

Last edited:

Tim Reynolds

Premium Member
WCA
2005REYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wait, this means that, the more solves you do, the faster your average gets? If anything, the opposite would be true: once you do a lot of solves, you're probably getting tired. What data points did you use to compute this? What x are you saying this is a good approximation for?

Statistics needs disclaimers. You can't just do a regression and be like "this is true".

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wait, this means that, the more solves you do, the faster your average gets? If anything, the opposite would be true: once you do a lot of solves, you're probably getting tired. What data points did you use to compute this? What x are you saying this is a good approximation for?

Statistics needs disclaimers. You can't just do a regression and be like "this is true".
This was meant to be a rough estimate, mainly for my first 100 solves.
Usually, I start off horridly, and get better, ending up at about 17s, getting 18s about halfway through.
After the first 100 solves, this becomes invalid.

After plenty solves, of course, my times would increase, but for me this is not true within my first ~100.