• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Just some questions

BlazingSlow

Hi,

I'm more than surprised and happy, in the same time, that a forum like this one exists, also that i found you guys :)

Before the question i whould like to specify that i know how to solve the cube, but, the algorithm is slow ( ~ 2 minutes, no matter how fast i move my hands ):

- first i make a layer
- then i match the corners of that layer to form the first row of the B, L, R, F
- then i match the corners from the middle row of B, L, R, F
- then i make the bottom layer ( using the "T", "fish" and "I" case formulas )
- then i match the third row of the B, L, R and F

Hope you understand the method :)

The ideea is that i want to learn a quicker algorithm, so, here are the questions :

- is it possible for a normal ( average Joe ) person to learn a fast algorithm ( ~ 30-40 seconds ) ?

- if yes, is it possible for a normal ( average Joe ) person to solve the cube fast ( ~ 1 minute ), blindfolded ?

- algorithm used when blindfolded are different from the normal ones ?

- with what alogorithm should i start ?

Last edited:

KevinK

WCA
2008KAPI01
The ideea is that i want to learn a quicker algorithm, so, here are the questions :

- is it possible for a normal ( average Joe ) person to learn a fast algorithm ( ~ 30-40 seconds ) ?

- if yes, is it possible for a normal ( average Joe ) person to solve the cube fast ( ~ 1 minute ), blindfolded ?

- algorithm used when blindfolded are different from the normal ones ?

- with what alogorithm should i start ?

1. It isn't very hard to average around 40 seconds with any method. Just lube your cube and use finger tricks.

2. Anyone can BLD. With lots of practice, sub-minute is possible, but that's world class. Anyone can get sub-3 minutes BLD.

3. It depends on your methods. Stephan Pochmann's old method uses only PLLs from the Fridrich method. M2 R2, his new and faster method, uses more advanced algorithms for certain cases, though some of them are sort of similar to algorithms from the Roux method.

4. I can't tell what you meant by this last question, but it sounds like you want to learn Fridrich but don't know where to start. If you average ~2 minutes, keep practicing until you get to around 1 minute. That's when you want to learn more algorithms.

d4m4s74

WCA
2009ZALI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I got to 40 seconds using a beginner's method, but it's difficult to get there using Dan Brown's method (because you have to repeat an alg 6 to 12 times) but using some others you can get sub-minute 60 easily

Last edited:

IamWEB

WCA
2009BOAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's not easy to understand your post, because you don't learn a new algorithm to solve the cube. That's a method. Algorithms are sequences of moves, not what you do to solve cases. The 'case formulas' you referred to are algorithms. ;)

Can you post a video of yourself solving the cube (and a link to where you learned, if you learned through the internet)?

Welcome to Speedsolving forums, happy you're happy to be here all happy and what not =D

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's not easy to understand your post, because you don't learn a new algorithm to solve the cube. That's a method. Algorithms are sequences of moves, not what you do to solve cases. The 'case formulas' you referred to are algorithms. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithm

He is using the word algorithm correctly, just not in the sense you are used to.

Solving the cubed blindfolded in 1 minute isn't so hard.... if that does not include memorization.
The method for solving a cube for speed and solving it blindfolded is very different.

IamWEB

WCA
2009BOAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithm

He is using the word algorithm correctly, just not in the sense you are used to.

Solving the cubed blindfolded in 1 minute isn't so hard.... if that does not include memorization.
The method for solving a cube for speed and solving it blindfolded is very different.

Wikipedia:

No generally accepted formal definition of "algorithm" exists yet.

An informal definition could be "an algorithm is a process that calculates something." For some people, a program is only an algorithm if it stops eventually. For others, a program is only an algorithm if it stops before a given number of calculation steps.

Still, the way an algorithm is generally used in speedcubing is a sequence moves that get you from point A to point B, while preserving some aspect of the cube.

abr71310

WCA
2009SHAO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I consider myself an "average joe" and my average is roughly 40-50 seconds (good day vs. bad day).

I use Fridrich, 2 Look OLL + 2 Look PLL, but I do the F2L intuitively and use no algorithms (so I'm quite slow when it comes down to it)...

Blindfold solves under a minute are literally best in the world... Ville (I think) has the WR at 45.00 seconds or something, (but he DNS'd the rest xD) -- Even getting a sub-3 minute BLD solve is quite impressive.

Of course the algorithms would have to be different -- in OLL for Fridrich, you should notice that while orienting the cubies, you screw up the permutations of what they are, so unless you memo the OLL movements that occur, the PLL is quite literally impossible BLD...

I like the M2 method for BLD solving (even though I've never attempted, I think it's quite easy to understand), and I believe the transition from Fridrich to M2 would be easy for an "average joe" such as yourself.