• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

IsThatA4x4’s progression thread // Sub-10 3x3 achieved! // Sub-9 Squan // Road to Squan UKNR - Getting better at PBL // Clock is fun too

ruffleduck

YouTube
Visit Channel
Decided to practice the RUS U perms on cstimer, here are my PBs after about 45 mins of straight grinding:

RUS Ua: 0.43 (7/0.43= 16.27 TPS)
RUS Ub: 0.65 (8/0.68=12.30 TPS)

Bear in mind these are not framecounted, because I can't be bothered to do that, but these would probably be faster if I framecounted them.

Edit: RUS Ub: 0.58 (8/0.58= 13.79 TPS)
Edit edit: RUS Ub: 0.54 (8/0.54= 14.81 TPS)
Again: RUS Ub: 0.53 (8/0.53= 15.09 TPS)
They would almost certainly be slower when framecounted. That's how it usually is.

IsThatA4x4

WCA
2022RITC01
I looked on yt, brian has a 0.333 Ua and some other guy has a 0.433 Ub
I recorded like a 15 ish second clip of Ua's at school, and I'm gonna framecount them when i get home.
Best was 15 frames (0.5s)
VLC media player has a weird glitch where it just doesn't let you frame advance randomly, and you have to jump back. Makes doing this very annoying.

IsThatA4x4

WCA
2022RITC01
Ok, so the plan now is to do some all around practice, because I have my second comp in July: Norwich Open 2022!
I'm doing 2x2, 3x3, and 4x4, here is a list of stuff:

2x2
- Method: Ortega
- Predict OLL and bottom CP in <15s
- Work on predicting PBL during OLL

3x3
- Method: CFOP (ofc)
- Continue work on predicting first pair
- Drill LL algs

4x4
- Method: Yau
- This is interesting here, because there is a cutoff of 1:15 for this event. I currently average ~1:20 - 1:25, so I need to get below that 1:15 threshold.
- Work on cross edges
- Learn better OLL parity alg
- Work on predicting OLL / PLL after parity
- Get quicker at recognising special 3-2-3 cases.

Hopefully I can get this todo list done, it's gonna be a fun journey! Of course, if I'm not fast enough to register, this is all irrelevant, but that shouldn't happen riiight?

Imsoosm

Ok, so the plan now is to do some all around practice, because I have my second comp in July: Norwich Open 2022!
I'm doing 2x2, 3x3, and 4x4, here is a list of stuff:

2x2
- Method: Ortega
- Predict OLL and bottom CP in <15s
- Work on predicting PBL during OLL

3x3
- Method: CFOP (ofc)
- Continue work on predicting first pair
- Drill LL algs

4x4
- Method: Yau
- This is interesting here, because there is a cutoff of 1:15 for this event. I currently average ~1:20 - 1:25, so I need to get below that 1:15 threshold.
- Work on cross edges
- Learn better OLL parity alg
- Work on predicting OLL / PLL after parity
- Get quicker at recognising special 3-2-3 cases.

Hopefully I can get this todo list done, it's gonna be a fun journey! Of course, if I'm not fast enough to register, this is all irrelevant, but that shouldn't happen riiight?
What times for 2x2 and 3x3 would you hope to get in the comp? (single+average)

IsThatA4x4

WCA
2022RITC01
Update, because I still haven't been doing timed stuff, but I haven't made much progress otherwise; I should probably just quickly explain what I've been up to, and where I'm heading.
Okay first, why I haven't practiced as much recently:
I finished my end of year exams a couple weeks ago, so as you can imagine I focused more time on revising the weeks before and just did a couple solves a day, to keep consistent. I've also been having busier weekends recently too, so I couldn't cube as much.

Now, where I am heading:
I have no exams for a while now, and I'm gonna have a lot more free time, especially with summer holidays being very imminent. I've got the comp in July, so I'll just keep up with that, and continue with my usual 3x3 stuff like cross + 1.
At some point, I'll begin the grind to sub-10!

IsThatA4x4

WCA
2022RITC01
Thought this was a 1:2x.xx before I looked at the timer...
Generated By csTimer on 2022-06-11
single: 1:02.49
Time List:
1. 1:02.49 U D2 F' B2 U F2 D' L' B U2 F2 L2 F2 U D' F2 D' B2 L2 U2 R2 Uw2 L U2 Fw2 D' U R' U Fw2 R' Fw2 L' Fw U' R' B D' Fw R' Fw2 Uw L2 Fw' R2
(PB single)
Sub-1 soon!

IsThatA4x4

WCA
2022RITC01
Got an 8.9 while doing "chill turning" as people call it on stackmat for F2L practice which is interesting...
Also, my LSLL averages 4.5-5 seconds, should that be faster considering I'm sub-12 now?
Also got a sub-4 F2L on stackmat earlier while practicing just F2L which is kinda nuts

lawofthecube

Got an 8.9 while doing "chill turning" as people call it on stackmat for F2L practice which is interesting...
Also, my LSLL averages 4.5-5 seconds, should that be faster considering I'm sub-12 now?
Also got a sub-4 F2L on stackmat earlier while practicing just F2L which is kinda nuts

Do you have a video of you doing a solve?

:cool:

lawofthecube

Yeah, tbh Tymon would be so much better if he didn't do any ZBLL or ZBLS tricks. He's not doing himself any favors. It's better just to do LL in two steps instead of one. The fact that he turns bad OLL's into a ZBLL is even more repulsive, really just put your years of those stupid Pseudo techniques (Pseudo God, really Tymon?) and those LL influencing away. You're better off using plain old OLL and PLL for CFOP LL. It's called CFOP not PCFZ.

Since you like regular CFOP, do you feel that COLL is also not necessary or do you like it and find it applicable on some solves? I noticed that most people use COLL without the sune's so it's only like 30 extra algs...

Or any other subsets?

🙃

Last edited:

bulkocuber

Since you like regular CFOP, do you feel that COLL is also not necessary or do you like it and find it applicable on some solves? I noticed that most people use COLL without the sune's so it's only like 30 extra algs...
TCC seems to be dead (😭).
Almost everyone agrees sune COLL are not worth it and I personally think that COLL doesn't really save much time: longer recognition into a worse alg to get a better (not even always) PLL. I'd just learn how to avoid diag PLLs; however, the recognition is useful for OLL to PLL transition. ZBLL is a lot cooler but that's just my personal opinion (probably wrong for you) and you should learn whatever you want and whatever is more fun for you.

lawofthecube

TCC seems to be dead (😭).
Almost everyone agrees sune COLL are not worth it and I personally think that COLL doesn't really save much time: longer recognition into a worse alg to get a better (not even always) PLL. I'd just learn how to avoid diag PLLs; however, the recognition is useful for OLL to PLL transition. ZBLL is a lot cooler but that's just my personal opinion (probably wrong for you) and you should learn whatever you want and whatever is more fun for you.

Thanks for your answer but what is TCC...lol

IsThatA4x4

WCA
2022RITC01