• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

IsThatA4x4’s CFOP progression thread // Road to sub 10! // Working on: Cross + 1, Better F2L solutions

Imsoosm

I have found some algs for my dots, and have put them in the spreadsheet.
The algs are:
OLL 1: R U' R2 D' r U' r' D R2 U R'
OLL 2: R' U2 L F' L' U2 L F L' U2 R
OLL 3: r' R2 U R' U r U2 r' U M'
OLL 4: l L2 U' L U' l' U2 l U' M'
OLL 17: F R' F' R2 r' U R U' R' U' M'
OLL 18: R U2 R2 F R F' U2 M' U R U' r'
OLL 19: r' R U R U R' U' M' R' F R F' (no change)
OLL 20: r' R U R U R' U' M2 U R U' r' (no change)

Particularly OLLs 1-4 are way better than before (and are not the standard alg by a long shot according to algdb).
For OLL 2, you can actually use the exact same alg as OLL 1, just change the U' to U:
R U' R2 D' r U r' D R2 U 2'
You do this alg with the 1x1x3 bar facing you if I remember correctly.

IsThatA4x4

WCA
2022RITC01
I realised that the inverse of the RUSf P-shape OLL makes a pretty nice alt alg for OLL 40 (f R' F' R U R U' R' S')
Also, wide sexy sledge (r U r' U' r' F r F') solves an F2L case (saves one move over U / U' sledge sexy) which I didn't know so that's cool ig.

IsThatA4x4

WCA
2022RITC01
I've decided to learn CPEOLL for OH, and maybe I'll learn full 2GLL at some point to go with it. It's only 18 algs (actually it's only 11 because EO solved cases are pointless and symmetry exists) so it won't take too long, and it will make OH LL much more fun for me.

Last edited:

Imsoosm

I realised that the inverse of the RUSf P-shape OLL makes a pretty nice alt alg for OLL 40 (f R' F' R U R U' R' S')
Also, wide sexy sledge (r U r' U' r' F r F') solves an F2L case (saves one move over U / U' sledge sexy) which I didn't know so that's cool ig.
Whoa thats a great alg. I've been looking for an alg to solve this case (or its mirror) and I've invented a few algs on my own, but they're not as good as this one!
For F2L 25, I sometimes use this alg:

U' R' F R F' R U R'

Imsoosm

This will probably be my final alg change for a while:
OLL 52 from RUFy alg to R' F' U' F U' R U R' U R
Fingertricks are weird but they're really fast when done well.
Yo nice I like this alg! OLL 52 was one of the line OLLs I didn't memorize yet because I couldn't find a nice alg for it. This alg looks like an F perm's start and end without the middle lol.

IsThatA4x4

WCA
2022RITC01
Yo nice I like this alg! OLL 52 was one of the line OLLs I didn't memorize yet because I couldn't find a nice alg for it. This alg looks like an F perm's start and end without the middle lol.
Btw for the fingertricks if you want to use this alg, it works from home grip and you do the first F' w/ right index. But yea this alg is much better than the RUFy thingy. I guess this means all my LL algs are rotationless now (besides A & E perms but they don't count)

IsThatA4x4

WCA
2022RITC01
Because I have changed my algs to be actually good, I think it's time to consider what's next. Of course I'm continuing work on F2L lookahead / tricks, cross + 1, and slowly becoming DCN (although I don't practice this too much yet); but I also want to learn some useful algs like easy OLLCPs and VLS tricks.
So yep that's the plan. I've got school starting tomorrow which, as I've said before, means I can cube a lot because of break times and my family not asking me to spend time with them (lol). I will be working on 3x3 2H and OH for the time being, and also 4x4 once I feel relatively fast at OH.

IsThatA4x4

WCA
2022RITC01
Has anyone who has learnt a decent chunk of either set (OLLCP or VLS) got advice on which subsets are worth it? My initial thoughts are:
OLLCP: H / Pi CLLs (H better)
VLS: most of WV, VLS UF & maybe UL

Also for any VLS cases should I learn the mirrors for the left side too? It would double the alg count (because mirrors are NOT free algs), but I'd be willing to if it's a good idea.

Timona

YouTube
Visit Channel
Has anyone who has learnt a decent chunk of either set (OLLCP or VLS) got advice on which subsets are worth it? My initial thoughts are:

Also for any VLS cases should I learn the mirrors for the left side too? It would double the alg count (because mirrors are NOT free algs), but I'd be willing to if it's a good idea.
VLS, learn the ones with easy recognition.
Take note of all the cases that cancel into OLL, use cuberoot for that, their alg sheet is amazing
For dots cases, I always U2 Sledge U2 Sledge into an Edges oriented case for either COLL or ZBLL
UF cases, I always sledge into Edges Oriented OLL
WV, learn all, its so easy

That's all I have, ur better than me so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

TheEpicCuber

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Know full COLL, WV, 3-4 VLS cases, and am starting full PLL for megamnx.

IsThatA4x4

WCA
2022RITC01
I improved my ao1000 all the way down to 12.32 today, that's about it.
Well actually, I realised that I got a sub-9 earlier (great time for me) so decided to post it here, checked the solve number, and it was #11000! What a nice coincidence. Getting closer to 11111 solves so look out for that.

Generated By csTimer on 2022-04-22
single: 8.67

Time List:
1. 8.67 L2 F D2 L F' B U' R U L2 B2 U L2 F2 U' F2 D' B2 R2 F2 B

(sub-9 #17)

IsThatA4x4

WCA
2022RITC01
After watching some of J perm's F2L tricks playlist, and thinking about my own solves, I think my main issue is inefficiency in F2L. Some cases I rotate where I might not need to, and others take too many moves and hinder my lookahead. So, I'm going to review all of my F2L solutions and fix the bad ones, hopefully it'll produce some much smoother, more efficient solves and with time it will help towards sub-10!

IsThatA4x4

WCA
2022RITC01
New PB single!!
Generated By csTimer on 2022-04-24
single: 7.52

Time List:
1. 7.52 R2 D2 B2 L' F2 D2 B2 R B2 L B2 F2 D U2 B F U' L' R2 U2 B'

Recon coming soon

Edit: recon:
x2 y R' L D' L B' R B D2 // Cross
R U' R' // Pair #1