• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Is this kind of a 3x3 a thing? Should it be a thing?

SaMn37

Concept.jpg

Does this kind of a 3x3 already exist or has someone customized theirs like this? Just had this idea of a simple mod that doesn't affect the mechanism of a cube.

Which cubes should I buy to customize like this? Can someone point in the right direction on cubezz.com for example? Also, do I need Apoxie Sculpt to make anything decent, or would Fimo Professional which I already own work? I guess it would be alright for the corner pieces in the idea above since it's not in contact with any moving parts. Or are there other materials that can be used to fill spots like that without having to get Apoxie Sculpt?

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
View attachment 12269

Does this kind of a 3x3 already exist or has someone customized theirs like this? Just had this idea of a simple mod that doesn't affect the mechanism of a cube.

Which cubes should I buy to customize like this? Can someone point in the right direction on cubezz.com for example? Also, do I need Apoxie Sculpt to make anything decent, or would Fimo Professional which I already own work? I guess it would be alright for the corner pieces in the idea above since it's not in contact with any moving parts. Or are there other materials that can be used to fill spots like that without having to get Apoxie Sculpt?
The problem is if you cut through the corner like that it will open up the whole corner so instead of seeing just black you would see the inside of the corner I think.

SaMn37

The problem is if you cut through the corner like that it will open up the whole corner so instead of seeing just black you would see the inside of the corner I think.
Yes, and that's why I'd use a piece of plastic, Fimo Professional oven hardening polymer or the more expensive Apoxie Sculpt for filling those parts.

u Cube

YouTube
Visit Channel
View attachment 12269

Fun fact, i bought this cube for $5 in a shop in italy. Turns terrible and the shades/stickers suck. Does exist though :)

SaMn37

Fun fact, i bought this cube for $5 in a shop in italy. Turns terrible and the shades/stickers suck. Does exist though :)
I was sure someone would've thought of it already. If I make one like it myself, I can decide which cube to use thus making it possible for me to choose a better working mechanism. Or to mod a bad mechanism into a better working one.

I thought of getting some cheap Rubik's copies 1,70€ each...obviously the mechanism will suck but it'd work as a starting point/practice for building stuff like this.

NevEr_QeyX

I was sure someone would've thought of it already. If I make one like it myself, I can decide which cube to use thus making it possible for me to choose a better working mechanism. Or to mod a bad mechanism into a better working one.

I thought of getting some cheap Rubik's copies 1,70€ each...obviously the mechanism will suck but it'd work as a starting point/practice for building stuff like this.
I've heard the sail has a better mechanism for modding but the meilong is cheaper.

SaMn37

This was the shape of the FIRST Rubik's cube, the full cube shape came later. And the first commercial mods available were probably this truncated corner one, and the octagonal barrel shape one. I saw both in 1980/81.
Erno's original:
https://www.firstversions.com/2015/08/rubiks-cube.html
Oh yeah, didn't remember/realize that. I imagine it'd be worse to rotate. But I'm sure making a custom cube like that would be fun.

EDIT: Maybe that's where my subconcious got the idea :D

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
I’ve never modded anything but I’m thinking modern cubes with corners that split in thirds would make this more difficult to mod? Perhaps an older cube where the corner is one piece could be cleaner an easier for the corner chamfers? Just a random potentially invalid thought...

SenorJuan

Thanks for that , Tony, I had never heard that explanation before. It does seem odd, bearing in mind the intention was to demonstrate geometry principles, where missing corners are not relevant.