• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Is there a difference between black and white?

Glow

I was looking at the puzzle shop and all the white have lower amount then black.
So I was wonder is there a difference?

asportking

YouTube
Visit Channel
I remember reading about this once. I can't quite remember the reason (it was either the white plastic costs less than black, or the plastic comes in white and they have to dye it black for black cubes), but there isn't any difference performance-wise, besides one being black and the other being white.

Glow

Thanks guy,
and side question.
Are Dayan Guhongs allowed in competitions?

radmin

WCA
2010HARD02
Some people believe that white plastic performs better. I tend to agree but I can't say 100% its because the plastic is better. I just know what I'm doing (as far was lube and tension) by the time I get around to collecting a white version of any particular model. Some lubes hurt performance, some lubes aren't easily removed. By the time I get white, I know what works and doesn't for a model.

You'd have to buy white and black twins to know for sure. I always get black first and white later if the model performs well.

radmin

WCA
2010HARD02
Nope. white the white plastic Lingyun 2 is noticeably different from the black version.

Can you be more specific? Do you have both?

I bought a black Ling Yun II and it was bumpy, I tried a white one at a comp and it was gold. I'm thinking of sticking with my black Ling Yun I with torpedoes and getting a white Ling Yun II

axe97

maybe one is faster than the other, but if your recognition is better on one, then i'd choose that one

WCA
2010BULA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ah yes, I was looking for something like this instead of just one white cube is better than one black cube. Seems weird though, I can't think of anything that would make white better.

my white guhong is better than my friends black guhong and
my white SS5 is better than my black SS5
i never seen a black cube better than a white one.

oh well, still don't know why.

Toquinha1977

WCA
2008YIMV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There is a difference, although it's not absolute. If you compare the white coloured (although more like cream coloured, but they call it "original colour") ZanChi (http://lightake.com/detail.do/sku.3x3x3_DaYan_V_ZhanChi_Magic_Cube_DIY_Kit_Original_Color-44613) with a black one (http://lightake.com/detail.do/sku.3x3x3_DaYan_V_ZhanChi_Magic_Cube_DIY_Kit_Black-43885), for whatever reasons, the white tends to be a bit noisier and the plastic has a more rigid feel to it.

But like I said, not absolute, and quite possibly psychologically influenced (ie: if you want it to turn better, you'll convince yourself that it does). The first Dayan GuHongs in white tended to be a bit softer and heavier than the black ones, and with the LunHuis, there is no discerable difference in turning quality.

CarlBrannen

WCA
2013BRAN01
With the recent "Force Cube" brouhaha, I'm going to run a test.

I've also noticed that my white cubes are smoother than the black ones. That they're made out of different plastics makes sense to me.

But my recognition is better with black (and I replace the yellow side with black), so I've been sticking to black cubes.

So I've just ordered some petroleum dye on eBay. I'll see if I can dye one of my white cubes black.