• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Is option select worth it?

Do you use OS?

• Yes

• No

• LBL is hard enough

Results are only viewable after voting.

Waffles

How many people option-select during 3x3 solves and does it make it any faster/easier to solve from there on? And is it worth learning multiple methods to the point that you’re comfortable using them with less than 8 seconds of inspection?

The methods that I think are worth using are:

CFOP
Roux (LEOR if bad SB)
ZZ-a (or CT)
Mehta
Nautilus
3-style

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I can’t see how this objectively isn’t beneficial to an elite solver. That said before entertaining the idea you’d have to have reached the point of diminishing returns on practicing your method of choice. You’d need to be capable of inspecting advanced solutions during those 8 seconds & be even more capable of effortlessly executing them.

If you can’t say your a master of your primary method and do the above I’d say a solvers practice time is better spent practicing one method not multiple.

EDIT: fixed my atrocious mobile autocorrect spelling errors.

Swagrid

YouTube
Visit Channel
ZZ-a (or CT)
ZZ-A pls

- sincerely, a ZZ-CT solver

Edit to make this a more valuable post: I use OS between ZZ-CT and OCLL PLL in a way, CT is my default but if the FR pair is free at any time other than 4th slot I'll insert and so OCLL PLL. Sometimes I'll get an edge in slot 4th slot and then I ADF and do CT, but otherwise its OS. I also do CFOP whenever I get a cracked out CFOP scramble (usually I'll accidentally plan cross+1 and then decide to commit to a CFOP solve and plan cross+2. I get about the same as my ZZ average)

I think OS would be worth it, done by someone better than me, and done with a lot of work.

Last edited:
I OS between CFOP and ZZ for 2H. I haven't been doing much OH but I usually use ZZ

Last edited:

Waffles

I feel like I should butt in here:

When I said no, technically that isn't true. I OS between ZZ and CFOP for OH, but by this point I almost always use ZZ. I used to OS between CFOP, ZZ and Mehta for OH, but scrapped Mehta because I didn't feel that I was ready to execute lots of algs one handed.

Basically my answer was for 2 handed and normal 3x3.

On a long train journey, Smashin' PBs one a stop
YouTube
Visit Channel
Forgive me for being an uninformed cubing boomer who hasn’t seriously cubed in a year, but what is option select? Is that like method neutral?
Option-select is a more specific form of method neutrality. It's sorta like how you do an easy WV or a ZBLL if it pops up during a CFOP solve except you actually use 2 variants of a method actively. You choose which variant to use depending on the situation. While OS is worth it if the difference between the variants isn't big, Method neutrality is not worth it at all(Believe me, I've tried it)

Last edited:

xyzzy

My actual main solving method is already an amalgamation of like five methods so, uh, I guess????

Also: why are we calling the general form of method neutrality "option select" now? I thought OS was specifically for like, last layer or LSLL methods (or whatever finishes off a solve). Am I just out of the loop?

Option-select is a more specific form of method neutrality. It's sorta like how you do an easy WV or a ZBLL if it pops up during a CFOP solve except you actually use 2 variants of a method actively. You choose which variant to use depending on the situation. While OS is worth it if the difference between the variants isn't big, Method neutrality is not worth it at all(Believe me, I've tried it)
(note: I rewrote this reply; it was originally needlessly sarcastic)

The way I see it, method neutrality requires you to be good at multiple methods. What even constitutes a different method is, obviously, a fuzzy line, and where you draw that line could well decide how much of method neutrality is worth it for you.

At one extreme, if you consider CFOP with different cross colours to be different methods (I don't think anyone seriously holds this position, but it's always good to push the arguments to the limits to see where they break), then colour neutrality can be thought of as a weak form of method neutrality, and most people consider CN to be worth it. The "different" methods here are still similar enough that time spent improving on one method will help with another.

At the other extreme, you could have completely unrelated methods (say, CFOP and 3-style). The dissimilarity of the methods means that it's considerably less likely for a scramble to simultaneously be bad with both methods, but it also means that there's a lot less learning transfer between the methods, reducing improvement efficiency. In the short run, it would look like this type of method neutrality isn't worth it, but over much longer time scales (years/decades of practice) I think it's much less clear – if you've plateaued with one method, method neutrality lets you supplement that method's flaws with a different method.

And then in between you have all the half-hearted compromises like switching between different last layer methods depending on case (OLL-PLL versus OLLCP-EPLL versus 1LLL subsets etc.), and the like. The amount of learning transfer is in between the two extremes, and also the usefulness of neutrality is also between the two extremes.

Last edited: