• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Is my silicone spray safe to use

Wharve

I have some silicone spray and I don't know if its safe to put on my cube. It says that it contains propane, isobutane, and hexane. The can also says that it is harmful to the skin and harmful if inhaled.

WCA
2008HERR01
I don't worry about it...I lubed my cube in competition, luckily no one died even though there were 100+ people there :p I usually cover my nose and mouth with my shirt until the smell of the lube goes away.

P.S. - I realize that I am fairly stupid and may have caused cancer in me and others that were around me o_O that's not good :\ Whoever was at San Francisco today should watch out :O

abr71310

WCA
2009SHAO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Shaden, do you use CRC / Jig-A-Loo?
As far as I know those are the only two silicone based lubricants that don't
a) leave a random sticky residue
b) smell really horrid IMMEDIATELY after spraying
c) contain any of that crap that will kill your cube (no petroleum, I believe).

h5n1

Usually there are mostly long-term effects from most of the toxic substances in silicone spray. So no immediate danger. Just follow the safety instructions on the spray and you should be fine. For a while.

Kieran

YouTube
Visit Channel
The hydrocarbons you explain can be harmful to your lungs, throat, etc when inhaled in huge doses, but with a small lube can, it should be fine. If you are being particularly cautious, do it outside. I just spray mine inside on the desk.. No big problems as of yet. :D Oh and I use silicon oil, WD5 and it worked perfect: Just if anyone wanted any references.