• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Is it worth it getting a stackmat timer and mat?

Should I get a stackmat timer and mat?

• Get a stackmat

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Get a mat

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Get both

Votes: 23 50.0%
  • Don't bother

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GAN 356 X

Just wondering whether I ought to get a stackmat timer and a mat. I average around 25 seconds and am planning to go to a comp sometime this year, so I figured it might be good to get some stackmat to practice with.

If so, which ones should I get?

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Just wondering whether I ought to get a stackmat timer and a mat. I average around 25 seconds and am planning to go to a comp sometime this year, so I figured it might be good to get some stackmat to practice with.

If so, which ones should I get?
I would say to for sure get a timer, and the mat is optional. I have both, but do not always use the mat since I also use a SCS mouse pad for the mat. But the timer definitely get since it will help with comp sim and just getting used to starting the timer and picking/dropping the cube.

In regards to which timer to get, I (and I am sure everyone else would agree) to get the Gen4 timer: https://www.thecubicle.com/products/stackmat-pro-timer-gen4

GAN 356 X

I would say to for sure get a timer, and the mat is optional. I have both, but do not always use the mat since I also use a SCS mouse pad for the mat. But the timer definitely get since it will help with comp sim and just getting used to starting the timer and picking/dropping the cube.

In regards to which timer to get, I (and I am sure everyone else would agree) to get the Gen4 timer: https://www.thecubicle.com/products/stackmat-pro-timer-gen4
where I live in Australia, you can only get the timer with a bag, and not by itself, which adds up to 62 bucks, a lot for a single stackmat in my opinion

Iwannaganx

where I live in Australia, you can only get the timer with a bag, and not by itself, which adds up to 62 bucks, a lot for a single stackmat in my opinion
I'm pretty sure that pack comes with a mat as well but it is really expensive. You could still buy off a us or other website but then postage... Try cubezz.com?

Lapse.

WCA
2016WYNG01
so your saying that you can't bring your own timer to a comp?
You can use it to practice in between rounds when you're not competing. When you solve at solving stations timers, mats and everything will already be there. I suggest watching the wca competitor's guide on youtube. but other than that if you watch competition videos you should get a hang of everything. its not that you arent allowed to bring a mat or a timer, you can but when you are going to do official solves you will use the supplied timers.

for the question about getting a timer or a mat, i suggest getting a timer first as its the most worthy thing you can buy. the mat is just to protect your puzzle from slamming down onto a hard table repeatedly for hundreds of solves at home. You can substitute the mat for a big mousepad if you have those giant ones, or even a medium sized one, as long as it covers a substantial area. You don't necessarily need to get a legit speedstacks g4 timer as well. yuxin sells a rip-off g4 timer, and any other speedstacks-style timer is functionally the same. You could get it to go comp sims or just for fun cause it feels nice.

a link to the yuxin timer : https://www.ebay.com/c/1277326189

also, for the mat i suggest getting a giant gaming mousepad for home usage so you can game with it as well as cubing. I have a medium-sized one.

Iwannaganx

I spent 88 aud on cube, and yet I cannot justify spending 62 bucks on a timer and mat.
Yes understood. But with a gan x you get the accessories that you are going to use most likely, and a cube bag isn't worth an extra 30$ when it just lays there. If you can find something cheaper probably best to get that?

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel

Iwannaganx

Status
Not open for further replies.