• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Is cubing sexy?

Johnny

Clarksville, Arkansas / Minneapolis, Minnesota
YouTube
Visit Channel
Personally, I tend to think it is. Cubers have to be patient, which to me is a very attractive quality in a man. But even more than that, cubers have a sense of humor- we kind of have to because our hobby is literally solving the same puzzle over and over, which is a lot less fun when you approach it from a hyper-serious perspective.

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
We're sexy and we know it. Anyway, I think that it is. Why do you think it's become cool in the past couple of years to be a nerd? Because being smart is sexy. Not to say that all cubers are smart, but most of us are more intelligent than the average person. I definitely think blindsolving would be the most attractive thing to a person. I know that I were a woman in a bar and I saw a dude solve the cube blindfolded I would be attracted. I only wish there were more girl cubers.

penguinz7

WCA
2015RAME01
Your avatar?

FTFY

Personally, I tend to think it is. Cubers have to be patient, which to me is a very attractive quality in a man. But even more than that, cubers have a sense of humor- we kind of have to because our hobby is literally solving the same puzzle over and over, which is a lot less fun when you approach it from a hyper-serious perspective.

Roux is. :)

IRNjuggle28

YouTube
Visit Channel
Funny answers aside, cubing is as far from sexy as you can get. It's very antisocial compared to most other hobbies. When I practice, I don't like talking to others or being distracted. I focus completely on the cube, often to the exclusion of everything else. Most cubers are like this at times. Sure, patience and intellect are somewhat attractive, but neither are even close to as important as being overtly interested in the people you're around, and cubers are quite bad at that.

rowan

WCA
2014HOLO01
But no, cubing is the opposite of that, mainly because nobody understands us.

I think it's so strange that people who cube define themselves by it. Most of my friends/acquaintances probably don't know I cube.

As for the cubing being sexy? I think it's a really stupid question but I don't find anything about cubing sexually appealing, nor do I find "nerds," intellect, patience, or a sense of humor sexy. I might look for those qualities in friends/partners, but I don't consider them sexy. Maybe generally appealing?

NewCuber000

WCA
2014BOUD01
I think it's so strange that people who cube define themselves by it. Most of my friends/acquaintances probably don't know I cube.

As for the cubing being sexy? I think it's a really stupid question but I don't find anything about cubing sexually appealing, nor do I find "nerds," intellect, patience, or a sense of humor sexy. I might look for those qualities in friends/partners, but I don't consider them sexy. Maybe generally appealing?

I agree with you. Although most of my friends know I'm a speedsolver, Thats pretty much as far as it gets. I never cube around people besides on extremely rare occasions. Besides the one cuber friend I have that the conversation comes up occasionally when I talk to him.

rowan

WCA
2014HOLO01
So if Messi said "I'm a footballer" that would be strange? Or Obama said "I'm a politician" that would be strange?

I'm a cuber, what's so strange about that?

Saying "you're a cuber" isn't defining yourself by it to me. Perhaps I used the wrong phrasing? But I think it is strange to say someone cannot understand you because you are a cuber and they are not.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Saying "you're a cuber" isn't defining yourself by it to me. Perhaps I used the wrong phrasing? But I think it is strange to say someone cannot understand you because you are a cuber and they are not.

Oh I see, I totally didn't get that from the conversation. I think you read too much into what brian724080 said. I interpreted him as saying "people don't understand why we cube/why we would enjoy cubing" or something along those lines. I could be wrong though...

Johnny

Clarksville, Arkansas / Minneapolis, Minnesota
YouTube
Visit Channel
I want to bring up the point that maybe the razor sharp focus and precision that cubing requires could be an attractive quality. Maybe it's even better if you do it alone- you're intent on being the best you can be and at motivation could translate well to a relationship or, yes, "the nasty".