• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Introducing "PLUS ± MINUS" ... an incremental learning technique for the 2x2 pocket cube

Solvador Cubi

PLUS ± MINUS is short for Progressing Level Up System ± Memorizing an Increasing NUmber of Skills
Briefly, this is a collection of three 2x2 methods that build off each other.

http://solvexio.cf/app/#/PLUS_MINUS

Each of the three levels of "PLUS ± MINUS" ...
is an independent 3-step method for solving the 2x2 pocket cube
builds up a progression of skills for that level and subsequent levels
increases in difficulty with more algorithms, but has a decrease in the number of moves needed
includes a Bonus Skill that can improve the current level and is used in the next level

Level 1 is for folks that are brand new to a cube and they can expect around 80 moves to solve it using 2.5 algs
Level 2 is for Experienced cubers (those who know a 3x3 beginner method) and will use around 40 moves using only 5 algs
Level 3 is for Proficient solvers of a 3x3 but want to solve a 2x2 quickly, they can expect around 20 moves using just 10 algs

Each level doubles the number of algs to learn, but reduces the expected number of moves to half the previous level!
Please check it out and let me know what you think, keeping in mind the intended audiences of each level.
Thanks!

-= Solvador Cubi

P.S.

I put this together because I didn’t find a 2x2 method for absolute beginners that I thought was simple enough, while others with 1 alg seemed too repetitive.
Basically I didn't like "Go learn ortega/varasano" or "Use this one algorithm a bajillion times". :)
Some other methods with 2-3 algorithms could be daunting to a beginner since they are long algs and the methods typically require too much intuition at the beginning.

So PLUS ± MINUS is here to fill the gap. It's more than a single method, it's a technique to learn incremental methods in order to go from beginner to sub 10!

Solvador Cubi

yeah! : ) I debated what time to estimate there. absolute beginners I've dealt with (some under age 10, and some older adults) would be ecstatic to be sub 10!

these are mostly occasional solvers, who don't spend much time practicing, but are interested.

Solvador Cubi

The Solvexio app now has step-by-step slides for PLUS ± MINUS.
There are actually 3 sets of slides for the 3 different levels in there.

http://solvexio.cf/app/#/Other_Puzzles

Remember, PLUS ± MINUS is not a single method and does not have new algs or concepts,

it's a technique to learn the 2x2 using increasingly "difficult" methods.

-= Solvador Cubi

Last edited:

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
I actually think this is a decent path to follow to progress naturally from absolute beginner (never solved any cube) to Varasano/Ortega, which basically fits in at level 4 with 3 more algs. I like it!

Is it worth switching from CLL tho?
Maybe look at the method and decide for yourself? I think of you had looked at it the answer here would be obvious. Even just reading this post is enough. Even just reading the last sentence should answer this for you.

Solvador Cubi

I actually think this is a decent path to follow to progress naturally from absolute beginner (never solved any cube) to Varasano/Ortega, which basically fits in at level 4 with 3 more algs. I like it!

Thanks AlphaSheep, yes, a progression like that was my intent.

The reason I stopped short of showing full Varasano, is that it makes sense to me
to do 1-2 extra moves early on to always make the first layer with opposite corners permuted
in order to guarantee getting one of the best PBL cases, thus potentially saving 3-4 moves.
(though you'd miss out on the lucky case of the cube being solved after OLL)

-= Solvador Cubi